Notices

Support needed

Old 02-06-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Support needed

I have been a smoker for over twenty years, I really want to stop and want my life to be better. I function well, i work full time etc. But I'm not where I want to be in my personal life... WEED is such an isolating drug.
I really hope I can do this.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I hope so, too.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sim - you'll find a ton of support here.

First step for me was making sure my house was weed and weed paraphernalia free. It really helped.

Here are some links that may be useful as well
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ful-links.html (Recovery Toolbox - helpful links)

supports really important tho - post as much as you need to here

D
Old 02-06-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee, everything is going into the bin in the morning, I'm smoking the last of my stash tonight, I really don't enjoy it anymore, I haven't for a long time but yet I feel I need it.
Tomorrow morning I will be waking up with no weed, not the norm for me. On the very rare occasion I'm without weed it freaks me out tbh, I become so stressed.
Big day for me tomorrow, I have the day off work, going to keep myself busy after declutttering this flat of everything weed related. I know what I need to do, it's about time I do it. Thanks for your support, I really appreciate it. x
Old 02-06-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Sim80. Welcome to the forum.
There is a lot of good information here and a lot of inspiration.
Read around the different threads. You will find a lot of similarities among us smokers. You will also find some tips on how to stay clean.
One of my favorite threads is the sticky about the reasons for kicking weed.
Post often if it helps. Goodness knows I did!
Stay strong!
Old 02-06-2019, 11:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck Sim! I went pretty nuts when I quit but came out on the other side!
Old 02-07-2019, 03:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Sim80, about 11 months ago I was in a situation similar as yours. I kicked the addiction after 22 years of pretty much daily smoking. It's with a sense of pride that I can say that I am now clean for more than a year. It can be done, just give yourself some time to re-adjust. You can't expect to kick a habit of years in a day or two. It's a good thing you came to this place because support can be very helpful. It was critical for me even.

Distance yourself from weed for some time and you'll quickly realise that it's quite a weird thing to drug yourself everyday.

I really hope you can make it stick. Lynnmarie directed you to other threads on this board and I suggest the same thing. Read up. Learn that your experience is an almost universal one among weed addicts. And please keep us updated on how you are doing!
Old 02-07-2019, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone,
Today's been hard but I haven't smoked any weed, I've kept busy all day and been reading on here lots.
This morning was really hard, usually I smoke first thing in the morning, weather I'm working or not, I smoke a lot more in my free time.
I headed out the door this morning I couldn't stand the thought of staying home and not smoking, how sad is that! Struggling now because I'm sat here resisting the temptation to order more weed. Just about to go on a cleaning spree.
I have a 14 hr shift tomorrow so I'll be fine In the daytime, I won't have time to think about it, but I'm already dreading coming home tomorrow evening. I just want to get the first week out of the way.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just wanted to add, I'm still smoking tobacco. I don't normally smoke tobacco by itself, I normally mix it with weed. It's helping somewhat I guess.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Those first days can be really hard and weird too. Eveything feels so different. Total and constant focus of the mind on smoking weed. But things return to normal eventually. While you're in the middle of it...this might seem to take forever but looking back on it...it wasn't too bad.

Have you quit before and how long did you manage then?

Best of luck to you!
Old 02-07-2019, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I quit for a few months about 10 years ago,
and I tried again to quit a few years back and managed a few weeks without it. I definitely found the first week the hardest in terms of feeling completely lost, it's just a hard habit to break.
Ive been smoking for so long I don't really know my life without it. Thanks for wishing me luck, I really want it this time more than before so I'm hoping I can do it this time. I'm 38 I don't want to go into my forties still smoking weed, mind you I said that when I was approaching my thirties! Nightmare!!!!!!

Old 02-07-2019, 11:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks again, you've all given me some inspiration that it can be done!
Old 02-07-2019, 12:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Go for it! We'll pull you through
Old 02-07-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, it can be done. I was a regular smoker for almost 40 years. I'm now over a year and a half clean with absolutely no desire to go back. I refuse to become a slave to a substance again.
This is more than just a habit. A habit is something you do without thinking about it. Weed is an addiction. When quitting (or using for that matter), it's all you think about.
Good news is that it does get better. It may take a while, but it does cease to be the constant thought.
I really, strongly recommend you get rid of your paraphernalia. It really is the only way to go, otherwise you leave that door open for future smoking.
Sleep (insomnia) will probably be an issue for you for a while. I still have issues, but I think it's due to age lately. My favorite remedies at the moment are Sleepytime Extra tea, concentrated tart cherry juice, melatonin and lavender scented lotion right before bed (1/2 hour or so).
Stay on course! You can do this!
Old 02-08-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ugh, Sim, I can relate! I'm in my mid-thirties and ever since I was nearing my TWENTIES, I told myself "I'm too old to be stoned all day, every day, this is crazy!" and it took me all the way until a few months ago to really and truly work towards kicking this habit!

It's kind of wild when you look at it that way, but also helps/makes sense. At this point, some of us are kicking a habit that we've had for over half our lives...it makes it so much harder, but also makes sense that it will be hard, ya know? Makes beating this thing so so so worth it!

Best of luck to you! I find the community here so helpful! Keep posting!
Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day two everyone!! feeling good tbh. Just heading home from work so I might just say different once I get home and I can't have a smoke like I usually do.
its all about breaking old habbits..
I had a rough night last night, I didn't have an appetite all day and then I had a dodgy stomach throughout the night! has anyone else experienced that ? Didn't think I'd make it to work today for my double shift but I did.
I plan to stay on this path I really do!!!
And you lot are just brilliant.
I can't thank you enough 😊

Old 02-09-2019, 01:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Sim80, glad you checked in. You survived day one and for that you deserve a big thumbs up. Make sure you never have to go through that day one again.

I felt a lot of weirdness the first days and it went every which way, so a dodgy stomach was probably part of that as well. The whole system is readjusting and after some time without weed it really hit me just how much readjusting there was going on. That says something about the effects daily smoking has on the mind and body. You don't even notice it that much when you're smoking, but the longer you go without it, the more obvious it becomes. I am now at a point that I find it quite unreal that there was a time where I lit up every day of every week of every month of every year. And this wasn't even that long ago.

Best of luck to you and I hope you'll update us anytime soon.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great going!
Yes, there are a ton of withdrawal symptoms, physical and psychological, and upset stomach is one.
I had terrible sweating problems, especially at night. Also emotional upheaval too.
Good thing is you only have to do this once!
Keep us updated. You are on your way!
Old 02-09-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind words. I am learning very quickly that the support from others who understand where I am is the only comfort I feel.
Not gonna lie, I would love a smoke right now but I'm not going there!! It's just not an option for me anymore...
I've given over twenty years of my life to green and it's not having anymore of my precious time.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's the way to do it Sim - the more we stay strong the less the cravings get

D