Notices

Legal Pot, CBD, Yadda Yadda Yadda...........

Old 09-06-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Legal Pot, CBD, Yadda Yadda Yadda...........

Hope it's ok for me to post here. Think I made a similar post here quite a while ago. When recreational pot just became legal here in California.

I just. Need. To. Rant.......

I'm an Alanon, ACA and mother of a son who has smoked pot for at least 20 years. He is addicted to pot. And has no plans to give it up.
He lives in a state where recreational pot isn't legal. Pot has ruled and ruined his life.......

I live in a state where medicinal and recreational pot is legal.

Pot and CBD products are now sold locally and even home delivered.
(Age restrictions apply, but you and I know how that goes.)

At the gym I hear 30, 40, 50, 60 year olds talking about their pot and CBD "contacts". Raving about how goooood they feel.

I have older friends who have pot parties. They feel so fine and relaxed (aka stoned) and don't understand why I don't join in.

I'm sorry. I just can't embrace a community of potential and already addicted pot heads.

IMO this proliferation of pot and its derivatives has the potential to
Break - The Almost Broken State of California - and potentially, The USA.

I know, I can't do anything about it.

Sure having a tough time accepting it.

By the way,
At my Alanon meeting today, my friend, whose husband and daughter are alcoholics mentioned that she recently found out that her grandson is smoking pot. Her pain and confusion and fear was palpable.............

Life, as we all know, can be, and often is DIFFICULT!!!!

p.s. Pot and CBD users.........Buyer/User Beware !!!!!!!!

for listening/reading
Old 09-06-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with everything you say - just like last time .

I fear this is going to be a huge public health issue in the years to come.

D
Old 09-06-2018, 11:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Most people can drink normally, stop at a rational time, and overindulge rarely, if at all.

Most people have a similar relationship with weed.

I don't think that addicts had that tough of a time finding weed when it was still illegal.

CBD is not psychoactive, by the way.

I don't smoke weed, in fact I hate the way it makes me feel. For me it's a non-issue.

For those that are normal drinkers and weed smokers, I think that legal is the way to go, and offer stigma free treatment for addiction for those like us that can't control our use. I don't think the government should decide what psychoactive substances we can put into our bodies. I'm not sure how I feel about legalized heroin and cocaine and meth, but in many ways alcohol is equally addictive.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't want to shut conversations down but I think its good to remind folks what this sub forum is for

Welcome to this new sub forum dealing with marijuana addiction
We intend it to be a place of support and recovery to those who have experienced marijuana addiction.

This forum is not the place to debate topics like legalisation or debate medical marijuana.
There is more than enough scope to discuss those issues in the main substance abuse forum.

Look forward to meeting new and old members alike

Dee
SR
________

The OP was venting about a loved one, and I think we can all understand tha, and understand why this should be a safe place to vent t.

Its funny - I don't hold alcohol 'to blame' at all...but weed I feel differently.

I think the degree of denial is worse with weed because its ill effects are less obvious and weed's had some great PR over the last 50 years.

That's subjecture on my part, but whats not subjecture is it really did take me a much longer time to get over the idea of not smoking again, than it did not drinking.

D
Old 09-07-2018, 02:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To the OP: your rant makes me curious why it bothers you so much that other people use pot and are apparently happy about using it.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i dont like it either. i would love to think being high on weed all the time is a valid life choice but for me as an addict i cannot. hearing all the positive press on the drug and all the happy stoners out there i feel more tempted than ever to try smoking again thinking it is harmless and may in fact be beneficial to me. its a struggle for me every day. i think the fact that it's "nonaddictive" is making people think its ok to use all the time. people have to be very careful with opiates as its easy to get addicted, but with pot there seems to be no risk so why not do it all the time ?
Old 09-11-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not to mention the modern cannabis products, especially those known as concentrates, which are producing a whole new level of addicts. Very serious.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

funny i just got off the phone with a recovering addicted who has opted out of the 12 step program for marijuana maintenence. feels it is working for him as the pot takes the edge off life and helps him manage it. he previously had 3 years clean in NA. we'll see how it works out for him.was an alcoholic and heroin/crack addict.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
waking down

Originally Posted by tracer View Post
funny i just got off the phone with a recovering addicted who has opted out of the 12 step program for marijuana maintenence. feels it is working for him as the pot takes the edge off life and helps him manage it. he previously had 3 years clean in NA. we'll see how it works out for him.was an alcoholic and heroin/crack addict.
It could work for him, and certainly weed is less harmful than alcohol or narcotics, but my concern is he's remaining a buzzhound. He's not making friends with his mind as it is - without weed or other substances. He's not rewiring his brain to be okay without any drug, including THC.

One of my best friends did "marijuana maintenance" on and off, but always relapsed on alcohol, and then the vodka killed him.

I know lots of people who claim to be "sober" and "in recovery" but who use THC regularly if not daily. I think they're fooling themselves, but I don't tell them that. Their health is their responsibility.

THC is a powerful substance, and people sure like to deny that fact. I've had panic attacks on it, freaked out, muscle spasms, paralyzed and prone on the pavement... In my acidhead days I used to think THC was a more unpredictable and potentially bummer high than LSD. But that's just me...

I'd rather have a nation of stoners than some kind of opioid/meth zombie apocalypse, but let's not fool ourselves. THC is a drug, and cannabis users are high. That's not recovery.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
It could work for him, and certainly weed is less harmful than alcohol or narcotics, but my concern is he's remaining a buzzhound. He's not making friends with his mind as it is - without weed or other substances. He's not rewiring his brain to be okay without any drug, including THC.

One of my best friends did "marijuana maintenance" on and off, but always relapsed on alcohol, and then the vodka killed him.

I know lots of people who claim to be "sober" and "in recovery" but who use THC regularly if not daily. I think they're fooling themselves, but I don't tell them that. Their health is their responsibility.

THC is a powerful substance, and people sure like to deny that fact. I've had panic attacks on it, freaked out, muscle spasms, paralyzed and prone on the pavement... In my acidhead days I used to think THC was a more unpredictable and potentially bummer high than LSD. But that's just me...

I'd rather have a nation of stoners than some kind of opioid/meth zombie apocalypse, but let's not fool ourselves. THC is a drug, and cannabis users are high. That's not recovery.
Very well put, amigo.

I won't share (in detail) my libertarian leanings, because this is not the forum for that.

But the ubiquity of marijuana in today's world has an effect on addicts.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What scares me the most is youth having easier access to it. I was 12 the first time I got high and it became my single purpose in life after. I didn't care about anything else. I have missed so much opportunity in my life because of pot. There is no doubt it did psycological damage. I don't remember much of high school. Its sad to think about how unmotivated I was during a time when I needed motivation most.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
What scares me the most is youth having easier access to it. I was 12 the first time I got high and it became my single purpose in life after. I didn't care about anything else. I have missed so much opportunity in my life because of pot. There is no doubt it did psycological damage. I don't remember much of high school. Its sad to think about how unmotivated I was during a time when I needed motivation most.
i totally agree with this. i just saw an add in my local newspaper for marijuana / coffee kcups. so promoting getting high in the morning with your coffee. its completely insane. never before has a drug been so much fun and acceptible. gummies, candy, cookies, breakfast items, talk about marketing to children ! soon we will have pot cereal. theres already canabis infused restaurants opening up. theres even canabis infused 6am yoga down the street from where i live, start your day out high ! being a stoner has become an acceptible lifestyle choice now that pot is no longer a drug. its mind blowing to me.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Pot used to be this thing that was a secret hush hush thing that you would hide away to do. The trends of today are very disturbing. Now it seems to be so hip and cool and everyone jokes about it; even the little old ladies in my garden club.
Yesterday I got out of my car in a grocery store parking lot and swear I smelled pot smoke. It's becoming far too common place and accepted.
When is it going to be cool to be a recovering addict? I still don't talk about that openly. It carries a huge stigma.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i hate to say it but it seems like nothing difficult is valued anymore, its all about instant fixes. recovery takes time and effort, it will nevr be cool to be in recovery i dont think. non recovery friends think i am rigid in my beliefs. we live in a society that doesnt value hard work, loyalty, dedication. its all about being comfortable and whats in it for me. the new american dream is to collect unemployment, theres no shame in being a non productive member of society. its all about checking out via drugs,phones, video games, sex. i find myself thinking if you cant beat em then join em. and the legal weed is looking like an easy way to do that. i hope that all my hard work in recovery will pay off, its a day at a time for me right now.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Weed just became legal here in Canada and personally, I haven't noticed any change at all. I'm sure more people are doing it but mostly just because it's new, I think it will even out once the sparkle wears off.

I'm ok with it being legal now. I don't think it ever should have been illegal. The legality of it certainly didn't stop anyone from using it before, except now the legality isn't going to ruin a persons life.

I'm also way more ok with a nation of tokers than a nation of pill poppers and drinkers. People aren't dropping dead off weed and I think it can be an exit drug from pain pills. I also don't think weed perpetuates violence and twists peoples personalities all up like alcohol does.

As far as us addicts go, I consider weed a drug like any other and I don't think a person can call themselves sober and get high on weed. If what someone is after is harm reduction, then that's a different story. Everyone is their own individual. Weed can be addictive and hard to give up though, been there, done that.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Edit: Had some thoughts -- but on second thought I don't think they're appropriate for this subforum. Thanks all

Last edited by Evoo; 03-01-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Moving these thoughts to another forum for another time.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The government's success at controlling people's alcohol and drug use has been dismal. About the only thing governments do is punish users and dealers, but that approach doesn't stop society from using either of them. It strikes me that America's war on drugs has been about as useful as prohibition in the early 1900s. While the wars strike me as failures, the taxes they consume seem to be going down the drain.

If legalizing marijuana turns out to be a social failure, maybe they can try something else other than law enforcement. I have no idea what that might be, and I'm not going to spend time considering alternatives unless legalization turns out to be a big mistake. But it's much too early to know how this will end up.

Personally, my decision will be to avoid recreational mind altering substances, but I don't have a need to dictate that to others. I doubt that marijuana is actually all that good for society, but I'm not sure how bad it is either.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Guys, legalization is one of the topics I consider off topic here.

I even posted the rule in this thread

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7005218 (Legal Pot, CBD, Yadda Yadda Yadda...........)

This is a forum for people with an marijuana addiction and I think the focus should be on recovery for that addiction.

Thanks

Dee
SR
Old 05-18-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Earth Child

i just stopped taking the CBD because of this thread am now on 0 and i have been foolish to think because it was legal that it was ok for me to take it
Old 05-21-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tracer View Post
i totally agree with this. i just saw an add in my local newspaper for marijuana / coffee kcups. so promoting getting high in the morning with your coffee. its completely insane. never before has a drug been so much fun and acceptible. gummies, candy, cookies, breakfast items, talk about marketing to children ! soon we will have pot cereal. theres already canabis infused restaurants opening up. theres even canabis infused 6am yoga down the street from where i live, start your day out high ! being a stoner has become an acceptible lifestyle choice now that pot is no longer a drug. its mind blowing to me.
Wow ! Stoned yoga - what a contradiction ! Crazy world of marketing we live in. Anything to kill the ever-present Stillness where we can let go of ourselves and it's so-called importance! Can't even go long enough to get through a yoga session without this ego and it's bag full of wants/needs taking it over ! Sad commentary on Man's direction.