Notices

My quit diary- day 1

Old 02-10-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

He's quite a character. Been hanging around with pot heads his whole youth and pretty much never touched it. He seems immune to addiction in general and thinks drugs are uninteresting. I will not go as far as calling myself the complete opposite, but ...well maybe I am haha.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcohol and tobacco are legal too and I fell foul of both of those things too.

For me pot's even more insidious because it has a great PR campaign - it's 'natural' it's 'harmless', it's 'not as bad' as other things, it has medicinal value...

but very few people are talking about the downside and when you do. you get labelled a crank.

D
Old 02-10-2018, 11:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You're right Dee. I totally agree with you that pot is looked upon as harmless in general but it can have pretty devastating effects on people. I will not condemn pot however. For me there's nothing wrong with an occasional smoke, but I'm just not capable of that. If people use it to relax? Great for them. Pot does little harm in that relation. For me the problems started when I used it daily for a longer period of time. The "benefits" of smoking turned around. It made me anti-social while it started out as a social thing. At first I used pot to enhance certain experiences but in the end I didn't do much anymore except smoke.

I was addicted to tobacco before I started smoking marijuana. In The Netherlands the bong is a relatively unknown phenomenon and y'all probably know all about the coffeeshops. I've never met anyone who smoked pure weed really. Everyone smokes joints with tobacco and pot in it.

I'm glad I quit both at the same time. And there's a side-benefit. Since I quit smoking, alcohol is totally unappealing to me. The two go hand in hand together. I used to drink every day when I smoked. Now I've drank maybe three beers in five weeks.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

How was the rest of the weekend icandothis?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thats a really good way to look at it Dee! I dont smoke cigarettes or drink- and both are legal. I just cant seem to get past the wanting to smoke it every once in a while. I had my bachelorette party this weekend, and I didnt drink (not drinking right now is my 100% priority) but I did end up smoking a couple joints that night when I got home and then smoked sunday night too. I think it was because I was proud of myself for getting through my bachelorette not drinking- that is was like a reward. I still see weed as a reward for damn near everything. Cleaned the house- reward. Went to gym- reward. Just got off work- reward. Literally anything.
I know that I am not going to get much support in the concept of only smoking on weekends, but for now I have to focus on not smoking during the week.

I am too scared I will go back to drinking if I stop completely.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The reward-thought...now THAT'S a familiar one!

I've tried many many times to smoke only during the weekends. The problem for me was that I could not disconnect from it. Every Monday would be a big struggle. It was occupying my mind the whole week. It would be something to look forward too, so although I did not smoke every day I was thinking about it every day. I would also showcase compensation-behaviour. Been a good character all week, might as well take an extra swing in the weekend.

Not saying you will do the same, but for me it was a road that didn't grant me satisfaction.

Stay strong!
Old 02-12-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I definitely see what you are saying. And I do agree with you. I can see myself doing every single thing that you mentioned. Still being a slave, by waiting all week long just for the weed. It still really makes it your only reward. I know im not perfect yet but I will get there!!! I will keep you posted. So far, I AM NOT SMOKING TODAY (even though like you said, this Monday is a struggle)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh boy. Ended up smoking the last two days. So much for my weekend smoking hey. I can come up with any reason to justify smoking for that day and quitting the next. Quitting now never seems like a good idea. The more I am noticing how actually dependent and addicted I am, its starting to **** me off and make me angry. I love how Dee says weed is insidous, its the best word ive ever heard for it. I think I may have had a slight awakening or epiphany because Im breaking up with MJ. Its like a boyfriend who you know is bad for you, and you just keep believing there lies. I feel like a damn fool. In my opinion, weed is a sneaky little devil, that pretends on one hand to give you all these amazing things, all the while it is stealing from you and you dont even know it. SCREW THAT. I AM DONE. I talked to my fiance, and he is on board too.
Just this morning my fiance is angry because he has been letting things slide, like getting his breaks replaced etc., and he said I know that I would never have let this go on so long if I didnt smoke weed now. This isnt like me. And it made me feel very guilty. My fiance didnt really even smoke weed before he met me. Probably a hand full of times in his whole life. And even up until this year he never ever smoked like I did. He would have a hoot a couple of times a week and thats it. Now though, I have even noticed him craving weed, and now he smokes it every single day too. I absolutely hate the fact that he is on the road to being addicted to. We talked about all this, and to be honest, I am angry. I have been waiting for a moment of clarity and I think I got it. DAY 1. FOR GOOD.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Go for it. Really do!

Be more sensible than I was at your age (gosh I sound like an old man now). If you've smoked daily for a while and it hasn't given you the best times, it will never turn around again and become great again. It will drag on like this for ages. And all the while you will be thinking about quitting. It took me 22 years to make a firm decision. It took Dee 30 years. The examples on this forum are plenty. In the end you cannot achieve sublime happiness or whatever you're chasing by continuing to smoke. By starting again the only thing you achieve is no more signs of withdrawl. But there's a whole new list of problems right around the corner.

Sorry to sound so moralistically. I know from experience that every time you decide to quit and fail doing so, it will make things harder later on.

Try and put this thought in your head: I can do anything in the world, except smoking pot. That's a tiny thing compared to all the things you CAN actually do. Your mind will be giving you a different idea when you stop smoking though. Most likely the idea that you're giving up something huge. But if you make up the balance between what you are giving up and what you're getting in return, quitting will always be the beneficial thing to do.

I don't like the sound of my post but I struggle to say it in a different way. You sound like you've caught the right wave. Keep surfing it!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks man! Really appreciate it. I have been chronically smoking weed daily for about 10 years now, and smoking pretty often for 3 years before that. All through my teenage and adult years till now. I dont know who I am. Now that I am sober from alcohol, I am finding sobriety addicting!! I know that I had the same feelings inside about alcohol I do now with weed. I really didnt want to quit, but could imagine not drinking either. The farther I get away from alcohol the more I grow to hate it.
I figure this will happen with MJ too and I will wonder how the hell I ever did it. I am quitting now. While im young lol! This may sound weird but I am a huge believer in God, and I know im on the wrong path. I have a strong intuition and I can feel it. I really do think that God is going to help me get completely clean, and then he is going to use me, to helps others. Maybe I will write a book. I already started a website. Sounds crazy I know, but I feel like as soon as I just quit this, I will be rewarded with something far, far greater than MJ.

I CAN do anything in this world and not smoke pot. Imagine. Currently I am spending 400$ a month on weed. I am going to use that money for the first little bit to spend on new rewards once i reach milestones.

I truly think the time to quit is now. I am going to Mexico in 2 weeks for my wedding (wont be smoking), and then in a month going to Bermuda for my honeymoon for 2 weeks. Those are SUCH good reasons to stay sober, and I really think that those trips will help me as I wont be in my "home environment"
Thank you!
Old 02-15-2018, 05:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day 2. I am definitely withdrawing. I was dripping sweat in the middle of the night had to change clothes and then couldn’t get back to sleep. Was thinking how a bong would put me to sleep, but didn’t and got through it! Not much of an appetite yesterday only ate one small meal but that’s to be expected. I don’t feel much yet in terms of anxiety or headaches but I have felt them in the past. I am trying not to think of all these bad things and almost create them in my mind just because they happened before. Must push through fear! Did a sauna and gym last night. girl at gym caused a scene because her boyfriend was there with another girl and she caught him. Very intense, she had to be removed by staff. Lol oh life..
Old 02-15-2018, 08:05 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Sounds like a scene from a Jerry Springer show! Excellent that you're taking up the challenge. Keep us updated.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Bad, bad heachache. And irritable to the core. Also angry. Got upset with fiance today because he is going on a bachelor trip this weekend and im cranky. BLAHHH I dont want to be a moody B**** and ruin this for him and regret it!!
Old 02-16-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Take a deep breath, you will pull through. If it gives any hope: I am on my third day of feeling great and there have been days where I thought I would never ever be happy again. Not saying I will feel like this every day from now, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying this moment.

You will feel great again as well, no worries. Just give it some time. And give the fiancé a big hug.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I am feeling a bit better now. Still irritable tho. I know what you mean, I think I have a problem with just recognizing and being ok that there are ups and downs in life (bad days and good days) and that I dont have to somehow change my state to deal with them. Reality is my problem, MJ and booze was my solution. Thanks flyingdutchman, just have to remember better days are head..........
Old 02-16-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

If it's any consolation: turns out I am much more mellow when I am not smoking pot. Less irritable. I can deal with reality much better. Doesn't seem to scare me like it used to. For a long long time I thought it was the exact opposite though.

And what I also really like about not smoking: I am very flexible all of a sudden, because I don't have to execute a certain plan every night. Things don't interfere anymore. Someone's at the door unexpectedly? Great, I didn't have anything planned anyway.

In that regard pot made me very selfish, because no matter what...the smoking would always happen. Everything would be put aside if neccessary to facilitate the smoking. I've wished many times that I could be so determined at doing other things but unfortunately smoking grass was my top priority every day. The rest seemed to revolve around that.

Hope your weekend is great!
Old 02-16-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchMan View Post
If it's any consolation: turns out I am much more mellow when I am not smoking pot. Less irritable. I can deal with reality much better. Doesn't seem to scare me like it used to. For a long long time I thought it was the exact opposite though.

And what I also really like about not smoking: I am very flexible all of a sudden, because I don't have to execute a certain plan every night. Things don't interfere anymore. Someone's at the door unexpectedly? Great, I didn't have anything planned anyway.

In that regard pot made me very selfish, because no matter what...the smoking would always happen. Everything would be put aside if neccessary to facilitate the smoking. I've wished many times that I could be so determined at doing other things but unfortunately smoking grass was my top priority every day. The rest seemed to revolve around that.
Yep! That's it exactly. Pot has a reputation of making you mellow, but I think it has the exact opposite effect. I am much more easy going now that I'm clean. But it took 3 months to get that way.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

The ups and downs of life take a bit of getting used to clean and sober, but you will icando this

D
Old 02-18-2018, 08:39 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

How are you doing today? Finding some peace of mind this weekend?
Old 02-19-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Keep us updated icandothis!