Notices

The Quit Team

Old 05-27-2018, 09:46 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe if I cooked with it instead of inhaling. Or only did it when a friend is around and has some, instead of keeping it in my home.
Maybe if I drank light alcohol beer, or only drank socially, or only drank when a friend bought some over...

I bet that sounds familiar?

It's not the same as alcohol for me. It doesn't tempt me to do other drugs or to drink
I'd contend it works pretty much the same way as alcohol does on you GBE - it's an escape from reality, it's a medicine against feeling bad or scared, or unworthy - and given enough opportunity, the chances are you'll abuse it the same way you abused alcohol, and have it rule your life the ay alcohol did.

I know I did.

I really hope you never get the the point where you want to go back and re-test the water to see if you can smoke weed.

D
Old 06-12-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

7 months
Old 06-12-2018, 10:16 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Congrats, Paco!
Old 06-12-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Thanks, lynnmarie! How about you? Almost one year, right?
Old 06-13-2018, 08:57 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Yep! A couple more weeks to the 1 year mark.
I am doing really good. It gets easier with each passing month.
Sober is the norm now and the thought of constantly being inebriated is just crazy.
Getting clean is the best thing I've ever done. I'll never go back.

How about you, Paco? How has your road been?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Doing great too, Lynn. Fully committed. I also quit alcohol, feel great about it (almost 2 months). I want to live completely sober. Life is hard as it is, why make it harder with those nasty substances. I hope I never go back too.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update folks, it's good to read that you are both doing well. Congratulations too! I'm nearing six months. I've never gone longer without since I became a daily smoker. No thoughts of returning to the old life.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Congrats FDM!

Seem to me we have a great team here that's awesome.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Fantastic FDM! Great job on 6 months!
It's hard at first, but we have shown that it can be done.
Not only are we succeeding, we are happy to be sober.
Rock on, everyone!
Old 06-14-2018, 09:26 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats FDM

D
Old 06-20-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Wow, all this great news ! So nice to see ! Congratulations Paco, Lynn and FDM !
Terrific accomplishment. I can't say I'm in your group. Although I would say my MJ consumption is down by 95% , every once and a blue moon, I will have a joint . And really, all that usually does is reinforce my desire to stay away from it ! The days of smoking all the time are OVER , thankfully ! Ironically, I can get all the free pot I want and now I don't want it - LOL ! I haven't been here in awhile and it was so awesome to come here today and read just how well everyone is doing ! Made my day ! Congratulations again, gang, you should feel really proud of yourselves !
Old 06-20-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you HappyCamper

I hope I won't offend you by saying I really hope you can make a 100% commitment soon - I could moderate reasonably well for a while, but not forever. It always ended up ruling my life again.

D
Old 06-20-2018, 03:37 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Oh no, I'm not offended at all, Dee. And yet, I'm not really bothered by pot anymore. I don't have a pull to it even when all I have to do is walk a block for all the free pot I want. I'm simply not interested anymore. I have found what I was truly looking for and do not look to pot for any source of happiness. It brings more misery if anything and who wants more of that in their life ! So, I don't feel it's been a loss , there's simply nothing there for me now. So, if I slip with a friend now and then, I'm not too concerned because it's not part of my identity anymore. It's more like just having a sociable drink now and then. If it ever starts to rear it's ugly head again too much, don't worry, I'll crush it pretty quickly ! I really like my sober life ! I prefer so many things being sober now than the old way. There's no going back ! I'm alert and awake and I'm happy and at peace. No need to stupidity now !
And thank you for your words of caution - well heeded
Old 06-20-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Administrator

On the one hand I'm kinda taken aback and surprised by you posting this way HC - but on the other I remember I convinced myself quite a times I wasn't bothered anymore, and I could take it or leave it too.

I wanted to believe that *desperately*.

I think its one of the biggest dangers addicts can face.
I hope you have a different outcome to mine.

D
Old 06-20-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

thanks for your words of wisdom, Dee. I hear you and understand your caution. This once and a blue moon way of being has been for quite some time now and so far, it's completely not an issue. If that changes, I will make changes. Like I said , pot holds no power over me anymore as I do not see it as a source of happiness, but rather more a misery to avoid. I don't want come on here and congratulate the wonderful people here and then turn around and lie to them that I am 100 % clean when in truth , it's more like 95-98% clean. That's the only reason I mentioned it. Out of respect for the Truth and for the good people here.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Administrator

If its a misery why smoke it at all though?

D
Old 06-20-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

It's not a misery if you only do it once in a blue moon and can comfortably leave it at that. Just like going out for drinks once in a blue moon - very nice, but definitely not something I would want to do on a regular basis. Addiction is about attachment and believing that whatever substance / activity brings relief or happiness. If you have solved the underlying issue and deconstructed the false belief, the need for something like pot/drink/ sex .... leaves you naturally . No grinding of teeth required or worrying that you might fall off "some day" . There's no feeling of that if the underlying issue is resolved in a healthy, whole way. Just what's worked for me, that's all.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:59 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Administrator

My underlying issues started me smoking but by the end I also had an addiction to deal with as well..

But seems like you're determined.

Like I said hope it works out, but we're here if it doesn't, right?

D
Old 06-20-2018, 08:40 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Dee, my underlying issue is resolved , so there's no need to " escape" , hence, no desire for my past escape route - pot. Most people have their favourite ways to escape or find relief from suffering. But if you resolve the need to escape anything, then things tend to sort themselves out naturally. It's solving the problem at the level of the root and not at the surface level, where long term, healing probably won't hold. And that proven true for me over the last year or so.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:15 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey hc - we're going have to agree to disagree for now.

considering the forum we're in, and my experience, the best and the most I can give you is a good luck.

I really do hope that things turn out ok for you.

D