Notices

The Quit Team

Old 02-06-2018, 02:30 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Hey teodor.

Day 6 is really rough. I feel you. I went trough hell this last time I quit, some weeks ago.

But one thing is certain: it will get better.

Like Dee said, we don't have to feel this way ever again.

Hang in there, friend. We are all here for you.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Aaah poor Teodor, I just logged in hoping to read you were feeling better. This definately sucks. Would you describe it as nausea due to not eating enough? Or could it be that stress is affecting your stomach? If you have a hard time eating I'd suggest something like a smoothie. Lots of energy and they go down easy, at least with me. But on the other hand I have to be honest: I am unfamiliar with the symptoms you are mentioning.

If you are seriously worried tabout your health it might be sensible to see a doctor. Maybe it calms your mind down too. Take good care of yourself and keep us updated. Complain as much as you like. We don't mind. In fact, we will be upset if you don't!
Old 02-06-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Oh, I am so sorry you are so sick!
Try some ginger tea. There are several things you can add to it that will calm your stomach. Rooibos, peppermint, chamomile, red raspberry leaf, citrus peel. I have a specific recipe if you are interested.
Get well!
Old 02-08-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Teodor! How's the stomach? How are you in general?
Old 02-11-2018, 03:23 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hi FlyingDutchMan, thanks for asking, it means a lot.

Well, I'm smoking again, so stomach and etc is better, but yes, I'm smoking again so dunno ...

I'm trying not to be harsh at myself and just take it day by day and make it better.

Thanks for the support!
Old 02-11-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking in Teodor, I really appreciate that. Sorry to hear the stomach problems didn't go away. It's hard enough to quit if you have no stomach pains so I can understand the choice you made. Try to figure out what causes them, so you may be more succesful on the next attempt.

Take care!
Old 02-11-2018, 07:40 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teodor View Post

Well, I'm smoking again, so stomach and etc is better, but yes, I'm smoking again so dunno ...
Sorry to hear that teodor, that's really bad.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Teo :
yeah there will be short term benefit if your pains are withdrawal related, but I think you have to think of the long term.

Every toke is digger you deeper and deeper in the ground.

You can keep searching for magical cross point where you have no pain and yet can take or leave smoking - but I really think for guys like us it's a futile search.

I hope you decide to Quit again - maybe go and see someone next time if the stomach issues come back?

D
Old 02-12-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I do agree with Dee: it's all about the long term! Keep us posted Teodor, we like to know how you are doing.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Today was supposed to be Day 1 ... but ... I don't know ... this time the withdrawals are getting the best of me ... I know I should push trough, but after the last time I'm kind of scared.

I'm considering trying to tapper down or something like that.

To be honest - my overall idea is to get some clean time like few months and from then on maybe try to moderate , but! I need the few months clean in order to be able to feel normal again.

Have anyone tried/succeeded with tapering ?

Thank you!
Old 02-20-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Tapering and moderation never worked for me.
It's all or nothing. Nothing is so much easier.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Teodor, fist of all: it is very nice to hear from you. I was wondering how you are doing. Regarding the moderating: I'm afraid I can only tell you bad news. It never worked for me. Once you have been a daily smoker it is pretty much impossible to only smoke once in a while. And if you manage it, you will be thinking about it every day anyway.

I have a book on quitting, written by a Dutch journalist. He was in NA-meetings for a long time. They had this guy in the group that moderated his use to 1 joint a week. But he was thinking about that 1 joint every day and all day. The moral of that story was: addiction is not determined by how much you use, but by your dependency. I thought that was a pretty strong point.

I sure hope you can find a way that works for you. Deep down you probably know that it would be best to quit completely. But you are probably not able to envision yourself being completely happy and content and not smoking weed at the same time. I had the exact same thing. Most people who are addicted have.

Stay strong man!
Old 02-20-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I forgot to add: please make sure that you're being looked after for serious issues like the stomach pain. And prepare yourself in advance for the mental challenge: it will not be fun to quit. You will feel lost. You will feel down. You will doubt your own choice. You will crave. But that's what you will have to go through. We've had our will on so many days by indulging and smoking, now it's time to suffer for a while.

This is the way I tried to approach the whole quitting process.

"It's gonna be nasty and I am ready for it. Let's go!"
Old 02-21-2018, 03:23 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teodor View Post

I'm considering trying to tapper down or something like that.

To be honest - my overall idea is to get some clean time like few months and from then on maybe try to moderate
Old 02-21-2018, 03:28 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have to agree with the others here Teo - there's no moderating with this stuff - not if you've tried before and failed as much as we all have.

Go re read some of your old posts man. See how deep you fall when you go
back and how much better you feel when you quit - I know last time you were really ill but thats not the norm.

Like Lynnmarie says - nothing is so much easier.

D
Old 02-21-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lynnmarie123 View Post
Tapering and moderation never worked for me.
It's all or nothing. Nothing is so much easier.
I agree. Once you’ve admitted to Yourself that you have an addiction to pot, it is like any other addiction. It’s either All or Nothing.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

5 months

It was a long month, the toughest so far. I felt that I was quite vulnerable to relapse. The minor accident that I suffered made me regress in rehabilitation (physiotherapy). My back is hurting again. It's very discouraging.

But all things considered, I'm actually doing okay, 5 months clean, improving my habits every day, taking care of things. "Progress, not perfection".

Hope everyone is doing fine. Thanks for reading.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:36 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Paco
sorry about the pain tho - hope it gets better again soon

D
Old 04-11-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Hey folks, I'd like to join the team!!! I don't really have a firm "quit date" but by my best guesstimate I'm going to go with 48 days. Gets me in the ball park at least.

I've seen a lot of talk about moderation in this thread and I'll share my take on it. For me, it never worked, and I tried the experiment 100's of times over the last 30 years. I also tried tapering and again, for me, didn't work. What is working for me right now is a slight change in the way I look at things.

I no longer consider myself to be an addict. For me, it became permission to fail, because, after all, I was an addict and addicts use. I now look at it as a choice, because after all, it really is. I'm pretty sure nobody here has ever been forced to smoke a joint, right? If I can make the choice to smoke, I can also make the choice not to smoke.

When I get the urge, I try to stop and really think about it. What are the good things? I guess there may still be a couple, but honestly at this point the last few times I unquit, I really didn't enjoy it at all, but I kept doing it. There is a long list of bad things, the older I get the longer the list gets. I've gone into details on other posts, so I won't bore you with them here, but there is very little upside to it anymore. Maybe this won't work if you haven't had to deal with many consequences in your life yet, but if you talk to some people with some experience on both sides of the fence like Dee you can see where you life is headed. If you are posting about this on this board, I'm guessing that you have plenty of things you can put into the negative column.

It's really as simple as that for me. It's binary. Use or don't use. Deal with what either choice gets you. The not using is yielding much better results for me. Is moderation a possibility? Well I guess I could try, but it would be really hard because I wouldn't really want to moderate, I would want to get high all the time, like I always have.

Not sure any of this will be of help to anyone, but the good thing about SR is there are lots of ideas around. You can find what works for you. It has taken me a long time to get to this place, and 48 days is not a really that long a time for someone who has used as long as I have, but I think this change in the way I think about addiction has really helped me. Hopefully it helps someone else too! Take care.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Welcome to the team, tyler!