Notices

How quickly we forget

Old 01-21-2018, 07:38 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Just checking in. 2 meetings tonight. Have something to share: two very young addicts (18 and 20) came in for their first meeting. One had been trying to work up the courage to go to NA for years. Guess what their DOC was? Yup, weed! Needless to say, I had a lot to talk about them with. It felt SO GOOD to be able to help these guys. They liked the first meeting so much that they came to the second one. As NA says, 'the therapeutic value of two addicts helping one another is without parallel.'
I never want to lose what i'm finding in these rooms.

I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its an 'anything' board mm - I love to hear success stories and enthusiasm

D
Old 01-22-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I am SO happy you found something that is working for you!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:49 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hi guys!! Day 15. It feels so much longer than that, probably because so much has happened since I jumped into NA. I'm amazed at how busy I am, between work and picking up other addicts to go to different meetings, talking and working with my sponsor, and generally just being involved in life. My workouts are going great, and I'm really starting to solidify the habit of reaching out to other addicts over the phone when I'm having a rough time. No cravings. None.
Hope everyone is doing well. Oh, I've been dreaming again!! And nothing overly intense.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:35 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's awesome news mm

D
Old 01-30-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Great stuff, it is nice to read through your thread and seeing things taking a positive turn. Keep it up, you're on the right path!
Old 02-01-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Just read this thread awesome stuff!! It sounds like me in so many ways, its such a vicious cycle. It interesting what you say about having more fat on your body and it making you sweat more at night. There has to be something to that. Last time I went through quitting, my sweating was so bad that i would wake up drenched in sweat, and then the second I ripped the covers off I would be chilled to the bone. I could not find a medium at all. Same with bad anxiety, couldnt eat, couldnt sleep. **** times. However I am currently on day 4 of not smoking mj and this time I have had no night sweats. But I am about 15lbs lighter as I was dieting for my wedding... interesting stufff...
Old 02-03-2018, 08:18 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

How's it going, mm?
Old 02-04-2018, 04:33 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hey Lynn! I realized I hadn't posted in a few days, and I want to keep everyone updated. I'm doing well, thank you! Today is 25 days clean. I'm just as invested in NA as when I started, if not more so. I go to at least 1 meeting a day, call my sponsor every day, and am getting involved in NA related events/activities. I have a door greeter commitment at two of my weekend meetings (I hug people and welcome them as they come in ).

It's amazing how my go-to solution to feelings is no longer getting high. When I feel distressed, or lonely, or whatever, I pick up the phone and call someone. Whether it's my sponsor or another addict, it always helps. Always.
Work has been a little stressful lately, and i'm very busy balancing work and my recovery. I'm glad it's the weekend, I will say that. It's giving me the chance to catch up on laundry, cleaning, etc. I just don't have time during the week it seems like.

Some days are still a little tough, but my support network is strong and I have really started to solidify the habit of reaching out when I don't feel good.

My sleeping habits are a little weird. Or at least, i'm not used to them. I get home around 9:00/930 each night from a meeting, and am usually in bed by 1030. Every night it seems like I wake up at 230, am awake for maybe 10 minutes, and then fall back asleep until 545/6, which is when my weekday alarm is set for. I'm dreaming nightly, too, but they are totally normal non intense dreams.
I'm eager to begin step work, but my sponsor wants me to wait until I have 30 days clean. I agree with him. I think I feel like i've been clean a lot longer than that because so much has happened since I got involved in NA, and my thought processes and ways/ability to deal with emotions are rapidly evolving.

Overall...can't complain!!

How are you, Lynn?

I hope everyone's doing well.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Seems like you are really on the uprise. You sound so resolved and I think it's great you seem to have found your way out of the pot-maze.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi folks,

Day 4 here ... I don't feel good no appetite, my stomach is not ok, I'm restless, always tired, not in the mood, i've cold and hot waves, troubles concentrating.

I know it's normal, but on the other hand, there were times where 4 days will be better already and I feel bad now.

I hope I'll be better soon, coz it's so hard like that

Thanks for the support!
Old 02-04-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Sorry mm1741, didn't realize it was your thread, thought I'm on the "Quit team", didn't mean to steal your thread
Old 02-04-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Edit: moved my reply to the quit team thread
Old 02-04-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

It warms my heart to see your post! You are going to make it this time! So happy for you!
I'm doing okay, thanks for asking. I came down with the crud over a week ago and am slow to recover. But I am getting better. The cough is bringing up tell tale signs of days gone past and I'm wondering how black my lungs are. I wonder about my poor lungs and all the abuse they've taken and I wonder if they'll ever clear up completely.
Other than that, I am doing very well. Feeling very strong in my conviction to stay off the pot. The whispers are disappearing!
I'm also losing weight again, jump started by the crud, which is fine. Just gotta remember my favorite 8 words: Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants.
Take care and don't be a stranger!
Old 02-04-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hey MM
It is so good to read a thread like yours! I am so glad you are taking the time to post. I am on the other side of the darkness and I am so grateful for every sober, peaceful day. It is so important to share and for everyone to know we can do this!
Old 02-04-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teodor View Post
Sorry mm1741, didn't realize it was your thread, thought I'm on the "Quit team", didn't mean to steal your thread
No need to apologize teodor. We are all here for the same reason. You are welcome to post anything you need on this thread.
I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. It really sounds like detox. Lynn is right; have to get a little worse before it gets better. But it's temporary. Try to remember that. My detox this go around was rather mild compared to my previous one. I just chalk it up to pick, really. My first detox was pretty brutal.

Hang in therel
Old 02-04-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hey Lynn, it's funny but i had a mild respiratory thing last Friday and was coughing up nasty all week. I still am, actually, but not nearly as bad. I too wonder about my lung condition. Some of the black stuff I've coughed up before....ugh.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Yeah, I wonder if the black lung is going to be a lifelong thing. I suppose it will lessen over time, but will it go away completely, say after 10 years? Dee?
Old 02-05-2018, 06:47 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well....I'm asthmatic and always have been - some days are not fun - but I'm definitely glad I quit - I'd hate to think what I'd be like now if I hadn't.

Definitely not coughing up black stuff anymore anyway
Old 02-09-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hey guys. Just checking in. 30 days today!! It feels like a lot longer than that, probably because of how immersed I am in NA. I'm looking forward to getting my 30 day keytag at tonight's meeting.

My sponsor wants to start step work now that i've made 30 days, and i'm excited! I know it's an emotional and trying thing to do the steps, but I feel i'm ready. I suffered long enough. There's a saying in NA: we paid for our membership and the right to recovery with the pain we suffered in active addiction.

Today and the past couple days were tough. Not so much regarding cravings or anything, just feel a little down. Fortunately I have a strong support network who genuinely cares about me, and a whole shitload of numbers I can call anytime I feel bad.

I don't really know why I feel down. Maybe the weather, maybe the stress of work, maybe just life! I'm learning to accept things that I can't change, and it helps a tremendous amount.
People from meetings have started calling me for support when THEY feel down. I don't feel like the newcomer as much any more. I swear, when my phone rings and I see an NA number pop up, it's like a switch is flipped. I immediately get out of my head and am full of concern for the other person. It's an amazing feeling, really.
I've been eating a good amount of candy lately. I have NO idea why. I only ever wanted sugar when I was high all the time. Of course, the quantities are a waaaaay lower than they were when I was high, but i'm still a little confused as to where this came from. Oh well. Something else to work on. I've been so busy with work and recovery I don't have time to cook and barely have time to go shopping for anything. I'm sure I can make the time, though, like I made the time for getting high all the time.

I was cleaning my room and suddenly had the thought and image of frantically scouring the carpet and any crevices for weed crumbs. I would spend so much time doing that when I didn't have any, and use tweezers to pick the hairs/non weed out. I'm sure I ended up smoking non weed many times though. I'm so thankful that I a) don't have to do that any more and b) don't feel the urge to do it.