Old 01-18-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Old 05-19-2020, 11:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Pot is not a drug
Old 05-19-2020, 12:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
nez

The question of whether something is a drug or not, is not really an important qualifier as to whether something is an addiction or not. Addiction, both physical addiction and mental addiction can occur in a wide variety of scenarios. Food is non-drug item that springs to my mind as an example. The consequences of a food addiction can be every bit just as damaging and life threatening as a heroin addiction or an alcohol addiction. Addiction is insidious not matter what the addiction is.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure whats going on cos I've seen your previous posts, and elsewhere today you said you were addicted to weed Philthis79er?
Do you need some help,man?

D.

Old 01-17-2021, 05:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by refuser View Post
Hi,
I am the mother of a son who is in a 30 day program but is refusing to buy in because he doesn't believe pot is a drug so he doesn't think he is an addict. Long story short, cops got a search warrant for his dorm room and found marijuana and other narcotics and now he is looking at multiple felonies for possession and possession with intent to sell. We finally visited him and found out that after 20 days in the program, he is not participating in his program. He's late to group, he's not buying into the 12step program. He's only going to music because he says its what he connects to but I feel that he's just going there cause it's easy and can avoid the real work. He says that when he gets out he has no problem giving up everything else, and that he'll never deal, cause that's what his problem was, but if he's with a friend who is smoking a joint, he'll want to join in. He says that he has about 6 months before getting through the courts and if he ends up on probation, he knows he won't be able to do anything anymore, but in the meantime, he still wants to smoke. Any advice from former users if you had that mindset and what changed for you?
BTW, he says that he was spending about $250/week on pot at the height of his use. He said he was using about 8 times a day, but most recently, he had cut down to once a day after all his classes and homework was done. He was finally doing well in school this semester.

HIya...

Well, unfortunately in my personal experience what it took (and is STILL in the process of taking, as of yesterday) - is decades of experience, consequences, personal growth, a journey of recovery from alcohol and an ongoing search for spiritual wellness.

Addiction is a darn sneaky thing.... and marijuana - to me anyway - is actually a lot more clever and insidious because if can seem so darn 'harmless'.

I hope he finds his way to a willingness to consider recovery.

Meantime, stick around here and it nothing else it will help you gain insight to the perspectives of addiction and perhaps find some threads of potential to offer your Son some support when he becomes ready.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

just so we all know, the original post here is 6 years old.
D