SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Insomnia/Nightmares (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/insomnia-nightmares/)
-   -   'Night terrors' (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/insomnia-nightmares/95404-night-terrors.html)

Kickit 06-03-2006 04:21 PM

'Night terrors'

Thought this may be helpful to some, this is something I have suffered from, I was terrified, although I seem to have got things under control in the last few years. Long may this continue! :ham4
http://www.trionica.com/
http://www.nightterrors.org/

ARIES 06-06-2006 04:43 AM

thanks so much ....Altough I'm cryin now....Now I know what I got Ididn't had much time to read it all but many times when Iasked people to the symptons they look at me like I'm crazy...Especialy the presure on the chest that circulates to the brain is terefyin...Sometime when I get unconcious Ialso see the same dreamvieuws before I fall out they're all demonic...Wow thanks so much...I will read it later cos I'm not home at the moment...Love from Stefanie :hug:

eire rose 06-06-2006 08:01 AM

Hello Kickit,

I also suffer from this, sleep paralisis, I have had it for years, sometime more frequently, then nothing maybe for a while.

Seems to happen more often when I am troubled, whether I am conciously dealing with what is on my mind or not.

I have read some interesting articles on this recently suggesting that it is spirits, I do believe that I am sensitive to these kinds of things.

When this happens now I try to look at what is going on in my life and pray for willingness to see what I need to and not be afraid.

Love, Rose

Kickit 06-06-2006 08:42 AM

I'' m so glad that this info has helped others. Whether the experiences are caused by 'oneself' or spirits (I do believe in the spirit world also Eire Rose) it is useful to know how to deal with these situations.

My problems started after my husband and I split up, so trauma was involved. I felt as if I couldn't move and that a denomic figure was either sat on my chest, crawling up my body or sat at the side of me. Yes, terrifying. This also started to happen at other people's houses and I thought that I was screaming out, but nobody heard me, and I checked to see if anyone had the next morning.. On 1 occasion I though this 'thing' said 'we're back' and there seemed to be more than one of 'them'.

I used to lay awake many nights as I had stong feelings that this was going to happen again.

I have been told, and believe, that my grandparents are watching over me and my defence was to get their picture and take it to bed, ask for their protection. It worked, it gave me protection. My grandparents wouldn't let anything hurt me if they can help it!

This was many years ago now, and I pray for it to remain so. I have had the odd night where I have been afraid, I sit up and read, ask my grandparents to help me. I am settled with a wonderful partner now, which has helped. Although I have more trouble sleeping when he is away some of this is natural as I am not used to sleeping on my own now.

I am new Ms B, only just admitting that I cannot control the demon drink though, on day 11 and hoping to make it through!

Stefanie you are not going mad, it is hard for other people to understand / believe. You can find protection, what works for you, and you know now that you are not alone. Hope that things improve.

Wishing everyone well.

ARIES 06-07-2006 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kickit

Stefanie you are not going mad, it is hard for other people to understand / believe. You can find protection, what works for you, and you know now that you are not alone. Hope that things improve.

Wishing everyone well.

Realy again I'm with tears in my eyes cos nobody undersood me when I talked bout the symptons...with me it's that I always dream that I'm in my bed I see demonic creatures around my bed and theres a painfull rush circulating
between my chest and head....It's almost a year ago since I had this....But it's painfull and terrifying and everytime I had it I didn't want to go to sleep next days...I hope it stays away this time ....Love from Stefanie

OctoberKayte 06-08-2006 02:13 PM

I live this, too!!

OMG! I have epidodes of ASP like every week! My husband has to wake me up because I'm crying or asking him for help (It's SO wierd- While in terror ,I know that I am dreaming and I have to wake up or wake him up but I can't move). These things always go in "themes" (months or years on end). When I was a kid, it was aliens. As an adult it was a dark "angel"(?) (auditory and visual hallucinations- I was SEEING this thing in my peripheral vision- even sensing it when I was awake)Most recently it has been Huge Madagascar beetles climbing on me and I wake up telling my H to "get it off me!!!". Big fun. The only times I could be assured that the dreams would not come was when I was drunk.
So glad that someone is actually looking into this. I've oten wondered if sleeping pills would help, but never really wanted to go there cus I knew you couldn't drink and take the pills.
OH-BTW- It's 25 days for me!!:dance1a:

Kayte

Kickit 06-08-2006 02:43 PM

I do know someone else who have also had this happen, so its more common that you think. Hope this info helps Kayte - 'cos it is SO not fun! I know what you mean, a good old drink stops it, but its not real sleep is it, more like 'passing out'!

Congrats on the 25 days, that is fantastic. Day 13 for me, the longest I've gone in 10 years! Frustrated today, wanted a drink but fought it. Tomorrow is another day!

Sweet dreams to all - I really mean that.

Arura 06-20-2006 01:20 AM

:kitty: Yep me too, nightmares were the main reason i was perscribed
temazepam for...? they dont work anymore..its awful,
lukily i have a wonderful bf .but when i sleep alone its another
ball game.i wake with a start. at 5am, its abit beeter than it was but
its somthing thats always with me.

Ghost Dog 08-29-2006 10:03 PM

I've had this off and on for some time now. The occurance of it seems to be congruent with my mood, and I also experienced it more frequently (with more intensity) when I was drinking. A couple of notable experiences:

Once, a few years back I had a particularly vivid dream whereas I was in an apartment I used to live at in north TX. There was a party going on, and in the dream I met a girl. Within a few moments we were making out, and when I woke up, she was still in my arms, on top of me, kissing me. (For some reason I did not question the absurdity of the scenario and continued to kiss her). She then suddenly rose her head. Her face twisted into a demonic form very akin to the devil girls in the movie The Devil's Advocate. She then pinned me down and began to violently hump me while making some kind of loud, inhuman grunt, like a monstrous pig. I tried to scream but couldn't get anything out, much less move my body. Suddenly I snapped out of it and became "fully" conscious, and had the sensation that she instantly "slipped" under my bedsheets and into oblivion. I later read about the experience and discovered it was a phenomenon often refered to as "succubus". Needless to say, it scared the **** out of me.

Another time, I remember waking up on the living room couch. I couldn't move my body or speak, and remember thinking, "oh great, another bout of sleep paralysis". Usually I would thrash wildly in order to snap out of it. Sometimes it could take a very long time... anyway, at some point I remember my mom walking into the room, only she had a very bizarre, surreal movement about her... almost like stop-motion. I started to try to get her attention by calling out, but remember only getting out a low growling noise. She moved over and threw my dog on top of me (a chihuahua), and then promptly disappeared. I remember feeling my dog getting stuck under what I perceived to be my thrashing body, and fearing that I would crush him on accident, tried to get my hand to fall to the ground. It eventually worked, and when I snapped out of it I saw my dog sitting at the far end of the couch, looking at me puzzled, and my mom was still at work.

Strangely, some alcoholic friends I had at the time related similar incidents they would have off and on. One of them also had a panic disorder. My mom, who's also an alcoholic, has also experienced the paralysis, sometimes with the hallucinations involved. It appears to be fairly frequent with people with addictions and/or depression/anxiety issues, anyway.

Thanks for the link.

eire rose 08-30-2006 07:31 AM

I had another episode of this last night, the time before that was 9 days ago. Scared the hell out of me both times, very real and felt evil, these are definately getting mush worse, or my awareness is better, either way its scary stuff.

Love, Rose

leeside 11-18-2006 10:40 PM

Drugs such as klonopin that are recommended for nightmares can actually cause them according to the PDR (under adverse reactions). The sites referred to above suggest using those drugs. Klonopin is for siezures and panic disorder. After a particularly disturbing nightmare a person gets a bit panicky and so a drug is recommeded to cover up the symptoms (typical).

I got into holistic medicine and herbs along with good nutrition using my bodys' own healing/immune system.

No more using drugs to "selectively inhibit seretonin reuptake" and the like. I dont like messing around with my mind. I am using good nutrition/herbs/holistic medicine to balance out everything.

dollpart 06-16-2014 08:04 PM

Thank you for this post.

caboblanco 06-17-2014 01:35 AM

i suffer from night terrors..though they have gotten much less in sobriety..if im very upset or stressed out and/or if I have a lot of sugar before i go to bed that can easily trigger it. i have these semi night terrors where im not in a sleepwalk state but i wake up in a panic attack and i can't breath for like up to 20 seconds..it's scary. i will start to get some air then my heart will race...i have collapsed and blacked out from this..at the time i thought i was having a heart attack or stroke...its has to do with my rem sleep cylce....they are horrible for sure

Johnston 06-17-2014 01:50 AM

I had a few bouts of this many years ago when I was living in an apartment where a woman had once committed suicide. I would sometimes be half asleep on the couch and feel her presence in the room.Very creepy. Nothing since then, thank god.

M88RHM 07-15-2014 06:18 PM

I used to suffer from night terrors when I was drinking, I pinned an ex girlfriend to the bed once as was dreaming that a dark shadow was closing in over me and I jumped to stop it. Maybe that's why she's an ex?