Notices

I need advice...or anything really

Old 07-16-2007, 11:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need advice...or anything really

I'm 17 years old and I'm on Wellbutrin SR, only 150 mg due to major depressive disorder. As a result, I can't sleep. At all. I go to bed around 12 am and will finally fall asleep around 4 if at all. So I told my doctor and she prescribed me trazodone, 50 mg of it to help with my insomnia.

Well, seeing as it is currently 2 am right now and I took the trazodone at 12, I'm starting to believe it doesn't work.

Someone? Should I tell my doctor about this? I'm kind of scared to tell her things..
Old 07-16-2007, 11:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Yes be very honest w/ your doctor. It often takes trial & error to get the right medication for ea. individual. Maybe you could also do an internet search on non medical ways to promote sleep. I have had insomnia my whole life and I am much older than you. I have always tried non medical ways such as relaxation techniques. I find that watching t.v. or using the computer only stimulates me so I try to avoid those bef. bedtime, etc. Be careful, becasue sleep meds are addictive. That is great that you are getting treated for your depression and taking the prescribed meds. I wish you the best in that regard. I find that daily exercise helps lift my moods as well as a healthy diet. Have you tried exercise to supplement the other things you are doing for depression?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ok I'll try those techniques, thank you . And yeah I run at least 5 miles a day (I run cross-country/track), and that definitely makes me happy. Funny thing, actually. I didn't start feeling depressed and hurting myself until I was injured and couldn't run for the rest of the season..then when I was better and up and running (ha a pun), I was so much happier because I could relieve some of the stress that I had (granted the self-harming didn't end right away..probably b/c of it being an addiction..but I eventually got help). So, in conclusion, yes. Excercise is a must to a healthy lifestyle.

Thank youu!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

You might try taking your medicine in the morning as Welbutrin can be a stimulanting medication.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Trazadone is an old generation antidepressant. Personally, I would google both meds and read the prescriber information, then ask your doctor. I quit Wellbutrin XL after spending a few nights in a mental health lockdown for suicidal ideations. When I read the info on Wellbutrin, I stopped and called my doctor immediately.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

you cant say that any particular medication is cause for alarm. Each medication effects each person in a completely unique way. Wellbutrin might not have worked out well for you, but that does not mean it is wrong for everyone.

I would definetly consult your doctor and let him/her know exactly what is going on. Your doctor is your best bet to get better, so your shouldnt be afraid to tell him/her anything.