Notices

Dr Weil's 4-7-8 Breathing Technique

Old 12-04-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

Dr Weil's 4-7-8 Breathing Technique

The 4-7-8 (or Relaxing Breath) Exercise

This breathing exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
Hold your breath for a count of seven.
Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
Note that with this breathing technique, you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.

This breathing exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it, but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.

Once you develop this technique by practicing it every day, it will be a very useful tool that you will always have with you. Use it whenever anything upsetting happens – before you react. Use it whenever you are aware of internal tension or stress. Use it to help you fall asleep. This exercise cannot be recommended too highly. Everyone can benefit from it.

(From Dr Weil's Website - there is also YouTube videos demonstrating this)
Old 12-04-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I use this at work when I am stressed as well!
Old 12-04-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I only found this out in the last couple weeks I do mine morning & night
Old 12-04-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It resets the Vagus nerve, which is triggered in the Fight or Flight reaction. I believe I read that any repetitive breathing which uses an exhalation of greater duration than inhalation will do it. If I'm not mistaken, the exhale needs to be at least two seconds longer than the inhalation. Those of us with trauma or PTSD or general anxiety can really benefit from this technique. I use it myself.

4:7:8 is a great way to remember it!

Welcome back, SW
Old 12-14-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Interesting stuff - vagus (wanderer) nerve. Found this https://selfhacked.com/2015/07/30/28...know-about-it/
Old 12-14-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, friend
Old 12-16-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Fly just bookmarked it
Old 01-02-2017, 11:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tried doing this before several times during a restless night and was unsuccessful. Wonder what I did wrong.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, SW. I use this technique whenever I feel the need to calm down. It works.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf;[url=tel:6231868
6231868[/url]]The 4-7-8 (or Relaxing Breath) Exercise

This breathing exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
Hold your breath for a count of seven.
Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
Note that with this breathing technique, you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.

This breathing exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it, but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.

Once you develop this technique by practicing it every day, it will be a very useful tool that you will always have with you. Use it whenever anything upsetting happens – before you react. Use it whenever you are aware of internal tension or stress. Use it to help you fall asleep. This exercise cannot be recommended too highly. Everyone can benefit from it.

(From Dr Weil's Website - there is also YouTube videos demonstrating this)
Does this mean NOT to do it too frequently? or Can we use this technique many times a day?
Old 11-05-2021, 07:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Introvrtd1 View Post
Does this mean NOT to do it too frequently? or Can we use this technique many times a day?
This is why we're taught in elementary school to not speak or write in double negatives.

That statement, "You cannot do it too frequently," is referring to the previous sentences:

Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it, but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently.
So, do it every time you think of it until it's second nature to practice it in times of stress, tension, or anxiety.
This breathing exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by sonkien View Post
I tried doing this before several times during a restless night and was unsuccessful. Wonder what I did wrong.
Overthinking it, wondering what you did wrong, is where you went wrong.