Notices

Valerian extract

Old 01-10-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Valerian extract

Hello,

I am sober for 9 days now. I never did drink much, but I have been drinking every single day for the past 5 years to help me sleep (only because of that). I used to drink about half to one bottle of red wine right before bed which really did the trick – most nights I slept great. I decided to quit for health reasons and because I started feeling that I am dependent on this although I was really scared about my sleep after I do so. I HAD HUGE ISSUES FALLING ASLEEP AND STAYING ASLEEP SINCE CHILDHOOD and the only time I actually was not afraid of another restless night were all these years when I was drinking. Anyway, it’s been 9 nights now and 3 of them were totally disastrous. Not only I am not able to fall asleep until 3-4 am I am also waking up around 8-9 am (I work afternoon shift so there is no need for me to actually wake up). My question is: can I take Valerian extract while recovering because it helps although it does contain alcohol (but I take only like one big spoon with water)? Or if I do so, my body will not fully recover and sleep will never get better? Are there any members who suffered from sleep issues before starting to drink and how was it after you quit? Do you think I will be able to ever sleep like a normal person if I had these issues before? Any tips are very welcome (just not those that are everywhere like sleep hygiene, darkness, no sounds, herbal teas etc.. these are for people who are having some issues, but my insomnia is quite serious and all these mild methods have been tried many many times already and I follow every single rule of “good sleep” as it is)

THANKS
Old 01-11-2018, 04:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I don't have any experience with Valerian, I use lavender oil as a sleep aid for my insomnia and anxiety issues. I wish you the best and I'm sure some of our members can share their experience, I do know that a good nights rest continues to be a vital part of my recovery program.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've tried it before. It helped me too. I didn't notice that it was hindering my recovery, but that's me. But I did notice that if I took it too long or took an extra dose that it would make me down or depressed. So be careful/mindful of how you use it. It really just depends on how your body is. Everyone is different.

I'm not a doc or herbalist or giving any medical advice. I hope you find something that works. Im still looking 😒
Old 09-12-2019, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sleeping tablets?