SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Insomnia/Nightmares (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/insomnia-nightmares/)
-   -   dreams/nigtmares (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/insomnia-nightmares/343673-dreams-nigtmares.html)

Soberwolf 08-31-2014 04:05 PM

dreams/nigtmares

I've often heard the human brain is like a video camera recording everything we see and don't see ie stuff your eyes are not focused on but still 'in view'

How much is this related to nightmares or dream sequences

How can we feel the fall yet are completely still

What are dreams and nightmares is there a purpose they serve or is it a by product of brain activity

Sometimes it makes sense then other times I just think like even tho science explains it its still pretty awesome

I have dreamed I can fly and leap massive bounds (there had to be water for some reason otherwise it wouldnt work ie a puddle) ,

At the same time I have experienced all forms of sleep paralysis and nearly all forms of sleepwalking

I still have bad nightmares

nowadays I wake up and don't remember but know it was a nightmare by the amount of sweat round my neck and legs

Just wondering where does it come from really what purpose does it serve is it Darwinism is it spiritual is it just stuff we hadn't noticed and our brain arranges a montage ?

Who knows thoughts welcome

fantail 11-03-2014 11:52 PM

I've always been a very vivid dreamer and it's a very important part of my life. I think it's another part of my brain thinking.

Sometimes it's just total nonsense, of course. But most of the time the dreams that I remember revolve around things that are very relevant to my life. A lot of times it's in symbols... not like buy-a-dream-dictionary symbols but rather symbols that make sense only to me, my own internal language (Jung had theories on this). E.g., if I were to dream about an earthquake, that means something very specific to me based on all the things I know and think about earthquakes.

Anyway, I find those dreams to be really, really helpful to me. They often show me things that I'm thinking or feeling or fearing under the surface. Not just the situations that I dream, but how I feel about them in the dream, tell me a lot. I often wake up thinking, "Oh my god, that's right, I really do feel concern/happiness/uncertainty about that thing."

I have two people that I'm very close with who never remember their dreams. I can't imagine what that must be like. It's the other half of my life!

stark6935 11-04-2014 04:41 AM

Just be thankful you don't get sleep paralysis like I do. I normally get it like once every two weeks, but last night I actually got it around 5 times. It used to scare the crap out of me, but now I can wake myself up. It's like basically being awake in your room, but being unable to move and still dreaming. You hear voices, see figures and all sorts of scary crap happens to you. It's like a living dream. Now I can get myself to breath hard enough to snore and that jolts me awake, but other than that you just have to wait until its over if you can't wake up.

Soberwolf 11-23-2014 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by stark6935 (Post 4995301)
Just be thankful you don't get sleep paralysis like I do. I normally get it like once every two weeks, but last night I actually got it around 5 times. It used to scare the crap out of me, but now I can wake myself up. It's like basically being awake in your room, but being unable to move and still dreaming. You hear voices, see figures and all sorts of scary crap happens to you. It's like a living dream. Now I can get myself to breath hard enough to snore and that jolts me awake, but other than that you just have to wait until its over if you can't wake up.

Hi Stark unfortunatly for me i know very well what sleep paralysis is and have suffered severly with it i dont anymore & i have had nearly every sleep disorder there is my sleep paralysis happened for a few years and stopped a few years ago

Sleep paralysis was the scariest by far i posted a bit about it here http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ralysis-2.html