Notices

Insomnia from withdraw...

Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia from withdraw...

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and I need to ask those who are more learned then me about a few things dealing with chronic insomnia, if it's chronic...

Just a little on my background, I've been taking Xanax on & off for several years at a dosage between .5 - 1mg a day. Sometimes I wouldn't take Xanax for a while, but then I would go through a somewhat traumatic event in my life, then right away get back on it.

Now, in the past year, the doc gave me trazedone for sleep. So I stopped taking the Xanax and went on traz. It did help, but gave me this horrible cotton mouth.

Anyway, now I'm trying to get off both of these and stopped using them, but I'm having some severe sleep issues. I only get around 2 - 3 hours of intermittent sleep / night. I wake up from every dream. I guess a sleep cycle is anywhere from 45min - 120mins, so it seems I wake up from the REM stage of every sleep cycle?

I've started to take Valerian Extract and Melatonin. The Valerian relaxes me, but I'm not sure it helps me stay asleep. Also, during withdrawal, I was getting some strange nightmares of some entity, pressing down on my body and I felt somewhat suffercated. This happened as I was drifting off to sleep or waking from a dream which may be sleep paralysis... but it's rather frightning. I also had some nightmares of me being in bed, as if I was awake in the very same room (although the lightning seemed different) and was being grabbed and turned around in my bed... then I awoke. Again, very frightning.

I don't seem be having these dreams anymore, or they're not as prevelant as before, but once in a while, one turns up. I know drugs represent spirits, and each one is different and you are opening a gate that gives the spirit a right... well that's possible but can't be proven 100%; although, i do read the bible and pray more often which seems to help.

I just wonder how long will this insomnia last and or this problem with the nightmares. I notice I have to be careful talking to other people, because if they say something that bothers me, it seems to irritate me for weeks if not months...
That might be the extreme anxiety associated with withdrawal... any help and advice would be appreciated. Oh one more thing, does long term intermittent benzo usage cause brain damage (even though I was on a low dose compared to what I've seen other people taking...).
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by twinretina View Post
Oh one more thing, does long term intermittent benzo usage cause brain damage (even though I was on a low dose compared to what I've seen other people taking...).
A withdrawal reaction from anything is a sign of brain damage cause the damaged brain can now not functon correctly without the drug.

Permanent ? Don't know.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For as long as I can remember, I've woken up every 3 hours from sleep. I've tried ambien and trazodone but neither worked. I'll give you the advice I always get but have never followed through on, get a sleep study done to find out what the problem is and how to fix it.