Notices

I need sleep....

Old 03-28-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need sleep....

Ive been sober for 2.5 years, from alcohol, herion, coke, and anything else I could get my hands on. Ive recently started having issues sleeping, I wake up ever hour or two and have trouble falling back to sleep.

The dr (medical) gave me trazadone per my request becuase it worked when I first got sober. I was taking 25mg and it worked for a couple weeks but recently hasnt been doing much. I went back to the dr today and asked if we could increase the dose and she didnt want to. She insisted I try 5mg Ambian instead. Ive read a ton of horror stories with this stuff. There is also some good stories but not as many. Ive also tried the natural route, melatonin, magnesium/calcium, and various sleep aids from whole foods.

I eats very healthy, exercise daily/every other day, and go to bed the same time every night 10ish.

What else can i do? I dont want to depend on more drugs to fall asleep, especially one that is addictive. I cant get in to see a psyc until the end of the month so Im basically depending on my medical dr.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shorty28562 View Post
I eats very healthy, exercise daily/every other day, and go to bed the same time every night 10ish.
Mabey the whole goto bed and wake up same time every day thing is a scam ?

I don't think its normal or natural to goto bed and wake up at the same time every day, I never did.

I was always looking for a pills or having a drink or 2 or 3 or more to sleep "on time" .

Now that Im sober I wont take a commitment that requires an early wake up every day because it puts me at risk of wanting to use the strong addictive stuff that "works".

Check this out , what I have been saying for years has been confirmed,

The myth of the eight-hour sleep BBC News - The myth of the eight-hour sleep

Who the heck said human beings must sleep for the same 8 hours out of every 24 day in day out ? Did God say this ? Don't think so.

Look at how many people can never do this. I am one of them.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shorty28562 View Post
Ive been sober for 2.5 years, from alcohol, herion, coke, and anything else I could get my hands on. Ive recently started having issues sleeping, I wake up ever hour or two and have trouble falling back to sleep.

The dr (medical) gave me trazadone per my request becuase it worked when I first got sober. I was taking 25mg and it worked for a couple weeks but recently hasnt been doing much. I went back to the dr today and asked if we could increase the dose and she didnt want to. She insisted I try 5mg Ambian instead. Ive read a ton of horror stories with this stuff. There is also some good stories but not as many. Ive also tried the natural route, melatonin, magnesium/calcium, and various sleep aids from whole foods.

What else can i do? I dont want to depend on more drugs to fall asleep, especially one that is addictive. I cant get in to see a psyc until the end of the month so Im basically depending on my medical dr.
Since you have tried other "natural" supplements, why not try L-Tryptophan? I works/worked wonders for me. I too got little benefit from the ones you mentioned, and Ambien did little for me but to make me super-groggy the next day. L-Tryptophan is an amino acid commonly found in turkey, I used the capsules by Source Naturals. I took it early on in sobriety, 1 to 2 500mg caps one hour before bed and it really, really helped. After being sober for around 4 weeks, I can sleep soundly without them; this is coming from a person who suffered from insomnia for decades.

For me, it helped restore a natural sleep rhythm without leaving me groggy the next day. Best wishes to you!

Btw, if they don't work for you, simply return them to Whole Foods for a refund!