Notices

Sleeping sober? Is it possible?

Old 12-17-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleeping sober? Is it possible?

I have a huge problem falling asleep if I'm sober. Usually, I just smoke a blunt and get super high and fall asleep. But, if I try to go to sleep sober, it doesn't work. Like right now, I'm sober as all get out...and all I seem to want to do is get high just to sleep.

HELP PLEASE!!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us have sleeping problems initially Carly...I'd really resist on relying on self medicating something to 'help' you sleep..

I fell into a regular healthy sleep routine again after a few days, and this was after maybe 10 years of drink related insomnia?

How long have you been trying?

D
Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
in the drain

That will go away in time.I'm slowly getting a better sleep schedule. I no longer wake up nearly as much as i used to. It still gets me, but slowly goes away. What i do, is play some white noise. watch a movie, AND DON'T TRY TO FALL ASLEEP, you never sleep then, just let it happen.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

being reliant on a substance to do activities that are natural like sleeping scares me to death.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm now on day 2 but also can't sleep. I haven't fallen asleep sober in 8 years. I tried googling how to sleep but none of that worked. Good luck to you if you figure out any tricks let me know!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When your use to drinking to a point where you lay down and close your eyes and end up sleeping in 30 seconds it's a hard to sleep sober, but it's something everyone deals with when they become sober. I'm having some trouble falling asleep, none staying asleep and I'm 16 days sober.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For a long time I had to "wind down" my day in order to get to sleep. Dim the lights, lower the volume on the tv or whatever. Meditation helped a lot.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just hang in there. My recent sobering up after a year relapse, I got 2 hours sleep total the first 3 nights. I lived, you will too.

ETA. Maybe it was 5 total. Point is, it will come, a few rough nights and things will start getting better.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It gets easier with time. I shocked myself how easily and well I slept after a while. But a couple of tips that worked for me, stop trying to get to sleep and thinking about how you can't sleep. Just enjoy actually being sober in a nice warm comfy bed...or pretend you're really tired - even if you are - but you're trying to stay awake. I let my eyes droop and then open them quickly. Or maybe I'm just weird! haha.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Easyrider - I used to do this as a kid. It still works for me sometimes too lol