Notices

Nonstop sleep paralysis

Old 11-26-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nonstop sleep paralysis

I am almost a month sober but have been having issues with this every night. I am an epileptic and on meds but my brain paralyzes my body while I am dreaming and I know it while asleep. I can't snap out of it and have tried moving a finger or toe when really in my dream I'm getting up and running and falling down. I wake up to find I haven't moved at all.

It happens every night and I'm afraid to go back to sleep. My neuro ordered a sleep study for narcolepsy and found nothing (but sleep apnea). Anyone have any advice on how to wake up out of this faster? Sometimes I feel like I'm going to die in my dreams. Please no advice on lucid dreaming, I wake up screaming and this is ruining my life. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your brain does paralyze your body in rem sleep. Its a normal protective measure. I saw a documentary about it where they took out some part of a cats brain and it was running and playing and jumping asleep, basically acting out its dreams, so that wouldn't be good for you to have happen. But being conscious while in that state I've never heard of.
Could it be you need a med adjustment? The brain chemistry changes when you get sober.
Beyond that, I'm no doctor, I'm sorry to hear. Sounds scary!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't really have any advice for you but I just wanted to say I suffered from sleep paralysis and hallucinations and it was the most frightening thing I have experienced.

I was also at the end of my tether as no-one seemed to understand and I was physically at rock bottom as I was so tired.

I used to drink myself to sleep to try and avoid them happening but I now know that just made it worse.

I was heavily medicated, which worked to some extent, but I drank on it and that caused problems in itself. In my experience some of the medications for this are quite hardcore and I found I was like a zombie the next day.

I am sorry I have o advice for you but I just wanted to say I understand.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What are they going to do about the apnea?
Are they going to try CPap or drugs?

I really do feel for you, when I experienced it I suffered about 4 years.
I still have moments that are very strange.
I still sweat stacks too and I am sure it's to do with all the dreaming and thrashing around.

Have you read up on sleep hygiene?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had the sleep study a few months back when I still had health insurance. I no longer have insurance so I can't get the machine. When I drank I never had sleep issues although I am sure I stopped breathing a lot more at night! I am sweating one night out of the week. Its strange. My neuro was convinced I was Narcoleptic since I guess they have a lot of sleep paralysis. As far as drugs go I am on the highest dose of anticonvulsants you can take (two types) and my brain still won't calm down. I was also told this is seizure-like behavior and I guess once I really did thrash around which scares me.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's hard for people who haven't experienced it to understand how terrifying sleep paralysis can be. I'm pretty sure I have PTSD from it.

If there is any way you can reduce your stress, you may find that your sleep improves.

I recently went through a bad period, but took some time off work - just a day here and there - and the attacks have mostly subsided.