Notices

Do you dream of alcohol, or drugs?

Old 12-23-2012, 01:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

OMG I thought I was the only one having these dreams! I do dream frequently that I am drinking or buying it. It just freaks me out when I wake up. And I'm at 5 months.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

I had those dreams all the time in the first two months of sobriety. I remember waking up feeling so disappointed in myself and worrying about having to log on to SR to post I was back at day 1. They will go away
Old 01-06-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I just had a dream i was fooled into drinking last nite..my 9th day of not drinking..
Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am coming off valium and have stopped drinking all together. My dreams are insane and often involve me sneak drinking. They seem so real when I wake up I am confused for a bit whether the events happened. My doctor said something along the lines of this: drinking and valium disrupt REM sleep so when you stop or reduce for a while you brain, for lack of a better word, is churning out transmitters to stabilize hence the wild dream life.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I do a lot of sneaky drinking/fruitlessly searching for drugs in dreams. Very scary the first couple times I had them because like others have mentioned I never dreamed when I was passing out every night. I am never happy in the dreams, always deeply ashamed. Often I am drinking liquor from a broken bottle and my mouth starts to bleed but I still don't stop. It's gross I hate it.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Crazy. I am having the same dreams after less than a week of not drinking. Also lots of old girlfriends showing up and me sneaking off with them and drinking, hiding from my wife. So messed up. And in the dreams, there is usually some consequence. It sucks beating myself up during sleeping hours. =/
Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

I was watching a Bill Nye documentary on addiction in which he interviewed Dr.Drew. For some reason the issue of dreaming about using came up and Drew said it was basically your brain craving the drug that you've stopped giving it.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

to Kefka I have the same type dreams and I'm at 409 days clean. I'll wake up heart pounding because I realize in my dream that the compliance officer may be waiting at my door for a UA. And then I realize its a dream but I wonder why I have those types of dreams, maybe to keep me scared into sobriety. Or do I subconsciously think to much about going out and partying like I used to.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I did at the beginning of recovery but after a few weeks I stopped dreaming about all of it which helped me stay away from all of it.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I would have distressing "can't find my stash" dreams , There would be a guilt part of 'oh no, Im relapsing' in the dream but then it always shifted to the real life nighmare I lived of looking for a pill or leftover beer when I lost them or had nothing.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I had one last night and it scared the life out of me. Dreamt that I was out drinking doing stupid things getting in crazy situations. I never ever remember dreams I have but last nights dream was like reality. I remember it from start to finish as if it was a regular night out. It makes me more determined to give up alcohol. This was frightening though.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

The drinking dreams plagued me for pretty much the first year and as y'all they left me at the very least fussy that day. Maybe it's that part of our brain trying to trick us into feeding it again. I dunno. For me, it was something that I had to wait out. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this. Some folks get a lot, some not so much. At any rate, they did eventually stop.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

Doesn't happen too often anymore but yeah, I've been known to get this. Not very nice at all.

In my dream I always drink and then try and hide it from people at AA. It's not a recurring dream (I've never had those) but it generally follows the same theme. Pretty horrendous.

They get less frequent in time though mate. So just battle through it.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:37 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

i have been having vivid dreams of past drug purchases, and always wake up filled with anxiety for brief fleeting moments and then head back to bed.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I agree with Martyg1961, I still have those dreams but not as bad now, it seems when I do its usually after a day of fighting off triggers and cravings for a cold beer in this sunny weather,which makes me think that its that part of the brain trying to get you to feed the cravings. Tuff it out be strong it will pass and get better, it has for me 430 days clean today!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I know you are asking about dreams but from what you are writing about withdrawals I would suggest medical guidance.

After a while the WDs will subside ...

When I go to sleep I sometimes tell myself, "I own my dreams. I have control of my dreams. I can stop my dreams and awake. Dreams can not kill or hurt me. My dreams are mine"

I don't know why it works. I have been doing it for a lot of years. But usually I can find the stop button if nightmares become too much...or I can be the director."

Not always does it work.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I dream of drugs when im ill.happens when I go in to withdraw fall asleep and dream im going to score.Hate it when it happens.i find the longer your clean the les u dream about it..took about 6 months for them to go away when I stayed clean.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wiscsober View Post

When I go to sleep I sometimes tell myself, "I own my dreams. I have control of my dreams. I can stop my dreams and awake. Dreams can not kill or hurt me. My dreams are mine"
I tend to fly in my dreams when im totally clean and stable.to me it means im well and happy..hasn't happened lately tho
Old 07-13-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I am now 10 days sober and I dream about alcohol every single night. A couple of nights ago I had a dream that despite the decision to go sober, I let myself be convinced that it was okay to drink and I went to the liquor store and bought my usual amount, went home, got drunk, etc. When I woke up I thought I was actually hungover for a minute! So weird. Also, I've remembered my dreams every night which is a little unusual for me.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Recently had a dream where there was a little bit of coke on a table. Scraped it into piles but then left it alone and didn't use any.