Notices

50mg - hmm (Seroquel)

Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

50mg - hmm (Seroquel)

Sometimes I still have trouble getting to sleep, even with 50mg of Seroquel taken 30 minutes before I go to bed - I am wondering if I should ask my doctor if he would mind raising the dosage to 100mg.

Any suggestions, folks?

Kelly
Old 09-20-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I would suggest talking to your doctor about the possibility of the Seroquel not working for you. I generally try to avoid suggesting what the doc should do. That's just me.

Definitely talk to the doc about it!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i take 150 mil every night. started on 25 mil..........no sleep for a week, and my muscles twiched, she raised to 100, still would wake up every two hours, exactly every two hours all night long. then we tried 150, and so far that's been ok.

everyone is different and their bodies respond differently. your doctor needs to work with how your body responds.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, folks

I'll talk to my doctor about the Seroquel dosage.

Kelly
Old 09-20-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Eternally Grateful 4/25/08

Kelly,
I take quite a bit more than that, but I was started on it in an inpatient facility where I saw a physician on a daily basis. They started it low, and increased it steadily, but it was in a very controlled environment. Do you find yourself falling asleep quite awhile after you've gone to bed? The reason why I ask is I take mine at least an hour before I plan to lay down. You might adjust your timing on taking it if you find you're tossing and turning a long time. Also, after I take my medication at night I make sure I have no exposure to bright lights (TV, Computer, Smartphone.) I also wear a sleep mask and use a fan to drown out noise.

I try to say to myself "even if I don't get good sleep tonight, I will rest my body and mind." I also pray and start a gratitude list in my head. Sometimes it will go on for a long time until I get down to things like "I'm grateful I remembered milk today so we can have cereal in the a.m." It keeps me from laying there worrying and obsessing about not sleeping. It is better than counting sheep to me and usually I fall asleep once I get going on that list.

Talk to your doctor. We problem sleepers with addiction issues are a tough case for doctors, but he sounds like a good one. Hang in there!! It's going to get better.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KellyToronto View Post
I'll talk to my doctor about the Seroquel dosage.
That's the way to go.

My mental health provider just pulled me off of the remeron as it was no longer working, and put me on 100 mg of trazodone at night for sleep.

I'm not sure the dosage is high enough, but I need to give it time, and I see him in a month for a followup.

When in doubt, ask the doc!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Kelly))) - I agree with talking to your dr. I was put on seroquel for sleep, after trying everything else with no results. 50 mg worked fine for me, for a while, but then it didn't. I've been on 100 mg for about 2 years, and haven't had to increase it, but as was said, everyone is different.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-21-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Seroquel vs. Trazodone

Hmm...I've seen, laterly, that quite a few SR'ers are on Trazodone, as opposed to Seroquel, for sleep....I wonder which medication is more effective, if any...or is it on a case by case, patient by patient, basis?!

Thanks for all your advice,

Kelly
Old 09-21-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KellyToronto View Post
Hmm...I've seen, laterly, that quite a few SR'ers are on Trazodone, as opposed to Seroquel, for sleep....I wonder which medication is more effective, if any...or is it on a case by case, patient by patient, basis?!
I believe it's a case by case, patient by patient basis. What may work for me may not work for you, and vice versa.

I can't take the seroquel as it's been known to raise blood sugar, and I was diagnosed with type II diabetes a few months ago.

That's also one of the reasons that I was taken off the abilify, raised blood sugar as a potential side effect. There were other side effects too that I just couldn't handle anymore.