Notices

Seroquel for sleep

Old 09-14-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seroquel for sleep

Hope it works, tonight - think I'll take it around 9:30 pm.

Beats drinking, to get to sleep.

How about this Traxedone, does it help get to sleep...I hope it is non-narcotic, non-addictive.

I wish you all a good evening,

Kelly
Old 09-14-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I know nothing about Seroquel except that it's an anti-psychotic often used for sleep.

Trasadone is an anti-depressant commonly used for sleep. It didn't work for me but most people I've heard talk about it had great results.

Either way. Sure does beat drinking.

Good luck to you!!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Eternally Grateful 4/25/08

Kelly,

I've been on Seroquel for sleep for over three years now. It was prescribed by the addictionologist at the treatment center I went to. Sleep disorders and insomnia were at the root of my addiction(xanax, opiates & sleeping pills), so I know how important it is to my recovery for me to rest. There's a lot of controversy in using Seroquel "off label" to treat other conditions other than psych disorders, but it has been a good medicine for me. I hope it works well for you, I know you've really had a bad time with insomnia. I congratulate you on maintaining your sobriety through sleep deprivation. I'll say a prayer that it works for you!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot!

for your information on Seroquel, folks!

I have more "ammunition" in my battle to get to sleep.

Kelly
Old 09-15-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly,
I would suggest you take it quite early in the evening...it can make you really drowsy the next morning..I have been on it for about a year...and just recently switched to trazadone...the serqueol gave me restless legs!!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

After coming off all tablets,especially Benzos I was in need of sleep badly.I could not take sleeping pills any more either as I had got addicted to them too............so I had to depend on something else.I used to boil Milk......cool it down and drink it before bed......it helped.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my friend is on seroquel.. she likes it, works well for her as far as i know.

trazadone,i took it.. it put me to sleep, but i did have strange, rare side effects so i don't take it anymore. it is non narcotic and non habit forming, you can take it as needed and not every day if you're feeling tired on your own.

your post sort of sounded like you could be considering taking more than one med at a time..don't do that unless your dr tells you to!!! if one doesnt work that night, that sucks, but don't take something different. that could be bad news.

i always used to take benedryl to sleep..
Old 09-15-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been on seroquel for a little over a year after I got PTSD-induced insomnia. It works good for sleep, but about 30 minutes after I take it, I'm STARVING and it also slows the metabolism down. Late-night munchies and slower metabolism = weight gain.

Other than that, it's worked well for me. The only time I had problems was when I ran out (dr. was giving me samples as no way I could afford it), I'd get pretty moody for a few days, but had to remember it's main use is psychiatric and it wasn't unbearable.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-16-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Impurrfect...Interesting... I to was STARVING after taking a pill...would wake up...stumble to the fridge and find something to eat!! didn't connect the two! no wonder I have been gaining weight...the doc has switched me again to trazodone..the serquoel was giving me bad restless legs.....totally kept me awake!!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I, too, recommend taking it early in the evening. It made me feel like a zombie if I didn't sleep it off completely. But it was a miracle drug for getting me to sleep...I took it for over a year - I was willing to risk the zombie feeling because it was the only thing that worked for me! Because it did make me feel so loopy the next day, I eventually decided to try other drugs. I've heard many people take it and have no issues with that, though. I tried Trazodone but it made me manic-y and now I'm on Risperdal which works really well for me.