Notices

Cough Medicine Addiction

Old 04-23-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cough Medicine Addiction

Here's my problem I am 28 years old a female and I have been addicted to sleeping pills, cough medicine for about 5-6 years now. The longest I have gone without taking anything was 2 months and the only reason why I went back to it was because I was upset and I didn't feel I could go to sleep normally. I used cough syrup yesterday a whole bottle in fact in ONE Day and I didn't get more than a few hours sleep so it wasn't even worth it. I have tried finding the strength to stop but I guess weakness has gotten the better of me. This is going to be maybe my 20th or more attempt at stopping it has been less than 24 hours since I last used and I know that it is difficult. The thing that really makes me upset is that there is really no news about this anywhere. No help to really be found for this particular problem sure if you were on crack or meth or are an alcoholic there is loads of help but what about the people with this problem. Because I can tell you there are so many of us out there but there is no help or support groups for us because it's like this problem with cough syrup addiction doesn't exist. We need help like any other addict because this is an addiction that can kill.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

unique

go to NA, get a sponsor, read the basic text. work the steps with sponsor in writing
Old 04-24-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

dxm anonymous

Dxm Anonymous
Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

12 steps

1. We admitted we were powerless over Dextromethorphan —that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God (As we understand God).

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His Will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to Dextromethorphan Addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Now in order for you to locate DXM Anonymous, it took me five minutes.

Here is going to be your insurmountable problem:
There is no established, long lasting support network for this specific drug addiction. I know that individuals have the addiction to dxm. You need to join NA and go to meetings, get a sponsor and work the steps.
Terminal uniqueness with this will result in it being terminal thats all, not unique.

Last edited by Francismcan; 04-24-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Terminal uniqueness with this will result in it being terminal thats all, not unique.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thank you so much for helping with this. I went to an NA meeting once but I didn't think that I had anything in common with those people because they were into hard drugs like crack and heroin and I felt like I was a fraud for being there. But an addiction is an addiction right no matter what it is so I am going to back to those meetings. Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A Fellow Robojunkie

Hello!
I'm going to stick my head out and post for my first time on this forum to let you know you are most certainly not alone in struggling with this unique and somewhat esoteric addiction.
I'm a recovering alcoholic who began abusing OTC cough medications (ones with DXM) shortly after quitting drinking 3 years ago. It's actually not uncommon to hear similar stories in the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous--a lot of ex-drinkers and addicts come to like and even prefer the lure of these products. I know I was entranced by its magic until I found myself helplessly addicted, and things got ugly. I abused it heavily and nearly every day for about 2 and a half years. The junk landed me in the emergency room a few times with tachycardia, jail for shoplifting, fired from a job, ended a relationship, and generally rendered me an insane idiot who held conversations with trees. The whole time I was an active participant in AA and deluding myself that because I wasn't chugging anything with alcohol in it (I avoided Nyquil), I was "sober."
This stuff nearly destroyed me and it is serious enough to warrant a seat in any NA meeting. Don't be fooled by its legality and availability. It's a terribly damaging molecule, and I personally have found it harder to kick than booze. I know a fellow guy in recovery who said this stuff was worse than his own experiences with heroin.
Anyways, there is hope. After about 20 attempts myself, I recently cobbled together two months clean, one day at a time. It's taken A LOT of effort and support. The first month was marked by intense cravings and nervousness, which gave way to intense depression and dysphoria in the second month which continues until now. That said, day-by-day it's been getting better, and the fog seems to be lifting, (a relief, as I was certain I had fried my brain permanently, which is very possible with this stuff). Most firsthand accounts I've come across, say it can take between 4 months and a year to feel "normal" again after long term abuse, so I'm optimistic and trying to be patient. These past 60 days have been an eternity though.
Here's a few things that have helped me, personally.
1) Staying out of drug stores! It may sound a little extreme, but that's where I got my preferred brands, so I currently refuse to go in a drugstore for any other reason save filling a prescription. I get my toothpaste and aspirin at the corner market. Setting this personal ban takes my mind off the act of "not using" (which is sort of like "not thinking about a blue elephant") and gives me an easy to follow boundary--(After all, I'm not addicted to going into drug stores).
2) Going to a meeting everyday and talking to people. I've got a great sponsor in AA who is willing to work with me on all my addictions, and I'm in the middle of a 90/90. Some groups are more amenable to talking about substances other than alcohol than others, but it's pretty easy to switch the word "alcohol" to "DXM" in one's mind. Of course, in NA this isn't an issue because it's all just "dope." Isolation is probably my greatest trigger, so being around people is crucial.
3)Seeing a therapist. I used DXM to self-medicate long term anxiety and depression issues. Because it increases neurotransmitter levels, the drug provides a brief "lift" while you're high, as it simultaneosly depletes your natural serotonin levels. Two weeks ago, I began taking Zoloft prescribed by my therapist and so far it's helping greatly with my moods with a minimal amount of negative effects. Everyone reacts differently though, so it's important to work with a doctor and find your own path in this department If you do get prescribed an SSRI anti-depressant it's absolutely essential that you stay off DXM, as the two in conjunction can spark a nasty and potentially fatal case of "serotonin syndrome." Unfortunately, I have firsthand experience with this, and it accounted for one of my trips to the emergency room.
4. Research the addiction. Unfortunately, there aren't many resources offline and much of the internet content is centered around how to abuse, instead of focusing on recovery. However, typing "DXM Addiction" into Google provides a lot of interesting material and lets me know I'm not the only one.
Anyways, I joined this forum to connect with others who have this problem, so please feel free to contact me for any reason.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Dagwood and tcough

We've also had some DXM threads from time to time in our substance abuse forum:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am a DXM addict, a member of NA, and I went to rehab for it as well.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello

Hi OneWithWings,
I've read a lot of your previous posts on DXM, they have inspired me tremendously. In fact, they're largely the reason I decided to join this forum. It's so comforting to know other people struggle with this.
Last night, I had a dream that I was drinking cough syrup and woke up both terrified and grateful that I hadn't actually slipped. I think the residual memory of it has affected my mood today. I have a list of things to do today, and I'll be lucky if I can cross off half of them. It's still an ordeal, walking through each day struggling with paralytic fear about doing the smallest tasks--making a phone call, washing dishes, etc. I still struggle with a lot of negativity, especially earlier in the day. One day at a time, I'm getting through it, though.
How has your own mental/emotional state been through this? I see you have a bit more time than I do. Anything I can look forward to?
Old 04-28-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been around a bit over a year trying to recover but continually relapsing. What is helping me now is:

a) Realizing that DXM is like any other drug. And it can kill you.

b) Sloooowwwing it doooown, taking it one day at a time, and getting completely, 100% honest, at the level of thought.

c) Going to meetings, talking with my sponsor daily, working the steps, reading NA literature, and helping other addicts.

Don't worry about what others think. If you have the desire to stop using a mind or mood altering substance, you are welcome in NA.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Welcome tcough and Dagwood.

I, too, have had experiences with dxm abuse amongst many other substances in my 11 yr struggle with addiction. Although my addiction to it wasn't long lived (about 6 months) it did land me in jail for shoplifting.

As you can see, you are not alone So glad the both of you are here with us! Good luck to the both of you in your recoveries!!

And very true, NA is for drug addiction and this most certainly qualifies. If that is the program you choose, I hope you find it helpful!

-Jess
Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I really wish that I had the will to stop but I will go a few days without it and not sleep and just toss and turn and I can't do it. I don't have insurance so going to a doctor is out right now and I need to because I need the meds that they could give me to deal with the withdrawal symptoms. Unforntunaly talking and cold turkey isn't working for me and I really know that it is bad for me and that it could kill me and plus another downside it is making me gain weight but all that goes out the window and all I can think about is the feeling of it. I'm weak I know
Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

have you looked for real life support tcough?

D
Old 04-28-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the shout-outs, everyone!
TCough, I really feel ya. Insomnia is the absolute pits, and I dread the thoughts that come to me at 3 in the a.m. I find praying in those hours helps. Sounds a little cheesy, but give it a try. I remember in early withdrawal from alcohol a few years back, I slept about three hours most nights, and other nights, not at all. Those were real "24 hour" days, right there. I'm so grateful I now only have to go 17 hours of waking sobriety before I get to check out. Tonight, I'm drinking a cup of chamomile tea and feeling grateful to have another day I didn't use. Grateful that tomorrow will be "Day 63" instead of "Day 1"--I got so tired of counting "Day 1" that I eventually had to start moving forward.
Anyways be easy on yourself and keep trying. Those few day runs of sobriety are hard fought and mean something. I can't judge you, I slipped so many times trying to get some days together, deciding to get high "one last time." The cravings were maddening. Yet they pass, and every crap moment I've gotten through clean in these past couple of months have made this stretch of sobriety so more valuable for me. As Thomas Paine said, "What we obtain cheap, we esteem too lightly."
Incidentally, I don't think not having insurance should prevent you from at least seeing a doctor and explaining your situation. You may have some free or cheap healthcare options you don't know about. Anyways, I'll include you in my prayers tonight. Hang in there, it'll get better. Might feel worse before it gets better, but it will still definitely get better.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am struggling with the same thing. I have been addicted to using cough medicine for four years now, and am struggling with alcohol. I feel so alone but I need to believe theres hope. thank you for posting. I mean to send this to tcough and anyone else out there who can relate
Old 12-12-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the posting side of things starfruitanimal

D
Old 12-12-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

are you still around ? if so respond to me, I would like to talk to you - to tcough
Old 12-12-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

this was in my blog I just posted

I newly revisited this site, its been a while. For years now I've been struggling with alcohol and cough medicine (DXM) Robitussin addiction. In the past I have also experimented with many other drugs before. How ever these two, have basically paralyzed many fractures of my life. I wish to reclaim this. And have had tremendous trouble. I am an artist, 23 years old. My family and friends care about me very much. I have been to rehab twice and meetings for a a good period of time in the past nothing has helped. Now I would like to think I'm serious, I fear the consequences of death or jail if im not. Its like the devil is in me and has taken control. How to get control back is something so far for me to see. But I know it exists<, and I know I need it in order to survive and be happy. I'm not stupid. I'm frustrated, and am alienating myself and lying because of these things. I simply can't take it anymore, how ever my ability to stop forever seems distant. any advice ?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've been addicted to Benadryl for 2 years now, helps me sleep and helps stress during the day, I've taken it daily for 3 months and I can't quite remember what feeling completley sober is like. I need to stop.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I also went to rehab for DXM addiction

I felt the same way going into NA. I thought I shouldnt be there because I wasn't addicted to some hardcore narcotic but all the stuff I've done in the past 5 years of using has just proven to me that this is really something serious. I just wish I could get a grip on this though because I'm going to be 21 in july and I dont have a problem with drinking but if I havent quit using by then it's not going to be pretty because I've already seen what happens when you mix taking cough meds with alcohol. It feels really good to hear from other people though that are also addicted to using cough medicine. I mean i have friends that i meant from rehab that relate becuase any addiction is somewhat similar what with basic reasons for using but it's not quite the same eitherbecause there are somethings about it that just are different. but if anyone has any advise on how to stop obsessing over this stupid fascination I would really appreciate the feedback.