Notices

NIGHTMARE! Damnit.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NIGHTMARE! Damnit.

Woke up to a severe nightmare this morning. My first nightmare of being drunk since I became sober. Waking up startled recounting last night, I felt a pain of anguish – like I felt when I actually did wake up from being drunk. It took me a good 3-4 minutes to realize it was a dream. It was truly awful. I hate it. I felt like I didn’t want to live when I woke up. The nightmare consisted of me being drunk doing risqué things I would’ve done when I was drunk ending up on the internet. OMG. It seemed so f*ing real that I am heading to an AA meeting because I feel guilty. I HATE ALCOHOL! Even sober it has screwed with me!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I think it's good that we get those kinds of reminders once and a while..... not that I can be scared sober, but it sure leads to a lot of gratitude for my sobriety when i wake up feeling all those old feelings again.....then realize it was just a dream and they vanish.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just be grateful that it wasn't real and try to use it to strengthen your sobriety i.e- how crap it would be to drink again.

I know drinking/using dreams are pretty common, especially in early sobriety. They were for me anyway. I still get them from time to time but they strengthen my resolve if anything.

Peace
Old 12-09-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I rarely get drinking dreams anymore. Be glad it was only a dream. With time they will go away.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
I think it's good that we get those kinds of reminders once and a while..... not that I can be scared sober, but it sure leads to a lot of gratitude for my sobriety when i wake up feeling all those old feelings again.....then realize it was just a dream and they vanish.
Thanks DayTrader, just came back from a meeting. Sobbed through the meeting which I havent done since Meeting 1. You're right the dream was a very useful reminder.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I rarely get drinking dreams anymore. Be glad it was only a dream. With time they will go away.
Thanks for the HUGS. They help!
Old 12-09-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
Just be grateful that it wasn't real and try to use it to strengthen your sobriety i.e- how crap it would be to drink again.

I know drinking/using dreams are pretty common, especially in early sobriety. They were for me anyway. I still get them from time to time but they strengthen my resolve if anything.

Peace
At the meeting today (not a newbie meeting) I became obsessed with asking various of attendees if they too had experienced The Nightmares. Everyone had. I am grateful that it was a dream. I dont understand why this happens tho -

Thank you!
Old 12-09-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just a quick message to say hi imatryinhard. I'm still trying to understand the frequent vivid dreams myself as they can be very unsettling indeed.

A friendly word of caution though - if I wake up having imagined yet another drinking disaster it's a strong trigger for me to 'just settle my nerves'. Contrary? you bet, and it never turns out well. A set morning routine of coffee, healthy breakfast, shower etc. does help if you can work through it regardless.

Best wishes, Forwards.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Aimee

I'm sorry the dream upset you that much. They are pretty common. I try to treat them like any other dream

D
Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forwards View Post
Just a quick message to say hi imatryinhard. I'm still trying to understand the frequent vivid dreams myself as they can be very unsettling indeed.

A friendly word of caution though - if I wake up having imagined yet another drinking disaster it's a strong trigger for me to 'just settle my nerves'. Contrary? you bet, and it never turns out well. A set morning routine of coffee, healthy breakfast, shower etc. does help if you can work through it regardless.

Best wishes, Forwards.
I didnt drink. Its irritating that the nightmares haunt us for whatever reason. I will be grateful for the nightmare. At this moment I am drained.

Thank you!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Aimee

I'm sorry the dream upset you that much. They are pretty common. I try to treat them like any other dream

D
Thanks!

Why do they happen tho?
Old 12-09-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Exhausted

I am so exhausted right now. Not much good for much. So - since I am no good to do business work, I will do my hw assignment from my sponsor: I must recount EVERY SINGLE drunk event I participated. I am gettting prepared to do this assignmemt for 1.5 hours which may mean a large Kleenex box.

Here I go: Step 1 HW Assignment
Old 12-09-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why do they happen tho?
If you're a follower of Freud's dream analysis, it might be the mind's way of working out and resolving the inner struggle and turmoil most of us have in early recovery...

but really - I have no idea, sorry LOL

D
Old 12-09-2010, 02:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

moved by request

D