Notices

bad dream reflects my mental state

Old 04-15-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Night terrors...

I've been suffering with night terrors for many years... I've been sober for over 11 years but am on depression, bi-polar, seizure and adhd meds... I can't pin point exactly when my nightmares turned into the screaming, sweating fits of fear and rage that I go thru 4-5 times a week... I probably had them when I was drinking but was too passed out to remember... The amount of stress I'm under is directly correlated with the severity of the terrors... I have a therapist but even she agrees that I need to find a psychologist who specializes in sleeping disorders... I'll continue to search after I finish moving to another state in 2 weeks... Professional hypnosis has helped me with other issues in the past...

As others have mentioned, it is literally a vicious cycle... Sometimes I wake up yelling at the top of my lungs 2-3 times a night which of course carries over into the day... (Needless to say I don't get many sleep over invitations anymore!) I'm usually exhausted and if the nightmare was particularly disturbing, I am preoccupied with it all day long....
I end up having anxiety about going to sleep and repeating the same dreams with slightly different twists...

I keep a journal of my nightly adventures but wouldn't want anyone except for a mental health professional to see the craziness that goes on in mind while trying to sleep.

I'd love to know if anyone has any ideas or personal experiences that might help me, even just a little...
If anything, I feel better just by sharing my thoughts.... Thanks for listening!
Old 04-15-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't have night terrors, and my 'bad' dreams are more strange than bad. Bizarre dreams are one of the side effects of Zoloft. I call it the "Zoloft cinema".

I write them down when I remember them. Sort of a dream journal.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by least View Post
Bizarre dreams are one of the side effects of Zoloft. I call it the "Zoloft cinema".
Oh how I remember those. Could only handle them for a couple weeks before I switched to the Lexapro cinema, which I didn't care for either.

Thankfully, EffexorXR didn't have those effects on me!
Old 04-16-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I actually like the Zoloft dreams. Only once in a while are they scary or 'bad'. Mostly just strange, like a weird movie.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Boy, was that ever a weird dream! I dreamt I was taking care of Trump's disabled son. Chic was there and couldn't believe it. We did not discuss politics!

The son was older, like in his forties, and was totally disabled. I was taking care of his needs, getting him ready for the day.

Strange dream, indeed!

As far as I know, he does not have a disabled son.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dreamt I was being forced to babysit several kids, real brats, and was trying to get out of it. Was talking to the mom of one of the kids and telling her why I couldn't watch her kid. She refused to hear my arguments and was insulting me for not wanting to watch her kid.

Woke up with a headache.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dreamt I was at a party with my mother and my kids. I had taken my shoes off and when we were ready to go, I couldn't find one of my shoes or the little bag of gifts I'd gotten. I was very upset as I couldn't go home wearing only one shoe.

My mother was her younger self in the dream, before old age and dementia took over.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dreamt I was bathing one of my daughters. Don't remember which one. But I didn't want to do it and was complaining about it loudly. All I wanted to do was get done and go home.

Woke up feeling guilty and ashamed.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by least View Post
Woke up feeling guilty and ashamed.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Had a strange and disturbing dream that I cut off my baby daughter's feet. I don't know what that means, but it was good to wake up and realize it was just a dream. I could never harm any of my kids, so don't know where this dream came from.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's a rough one, least, I'm praying you have peaceful dreams.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:17 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dreamt I was on a bus with my kids, trying to go home. I kept trying to call a taxi on my cell phone but kept losing the number. Finally just decided we would walk home, but we kept getting lost.

Woke up with a headache.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dreamt I was at a country pool with my brother. I was an adult and he was still a kid. They drained the water in the pool and put in new water, but only half as much. They had toys to play with, and I took play dough to play with, but a little girl snatched my play dough away. I went to the window where the pool guards were to complain.

The pool was cemented over on the end of it. But they took the cement away to open the whole pool.

My brother wanted a toy but there were none left for him to play with.

Woke up with a headache.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Horrible dream. Dreamt I was working at the factory I worked at 40 yrs ago. I used to be very good at it, but at my age now, I couldn't keep up. Couldn't find the button to turn the line off and kept getting way behind. I had no help either, as everyone else was doing other things and there was no one to help me.

The boss was my old lecherous boss, and he hadn't changed. Then I was told that my daughter, mk, was working there now. I warned her about the boss. She couldn't keep up either and threw herself down on the floor, sobbing and crying.

The boss came to see me and told me I had to go home as my mother was in jail. She had committed a crime and was in jail.

I woke up with a headache, feeling frustrated and depressed.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Very rough dream S, I'm sorry you had that one
Old 06-03-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It was so realistic. It really felt like I was back at the factory. And the feeling of frustration was palpable.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dreamt I was painting a room with red spray paint. But when it came out, it was black. I had to paint the whole room with that can of spray paint. I went over and over to make sure it was covered completely. But kept finding spots where the original wall was showing thru.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dreamt I was taking my daughter to a new school. I asked them for help for her, to pair her up with a smarter student. But they paired her with a student who needed help herself instead.

I had a bottle of vodka, which I stashed in her schoolbag. The principal found it and emptied it out. I was embarrassed that he found it.

I went to my car to go home but couldn't find it in the parking lot. I was worried about my daughter not having help with her schoolwork.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dreamt I was working at the factory again, in my youth. We were cleaning the place and one of the big bosses was complimenting me, also was making 'suggestions' to me. It was very uncomfortable.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dreamt I was on a bus with my kids (they were younger) and was trying to get them to behave. We were supposed to meet their dad, who had my car, but I couldn't reach him. I was trying to call a taxi to come and take me home but couldn't reach the taxi company.

I was talking to the girls' grandma, who's been dead for years, and I asked her why she was sitting there if she was dead. She smiled and said, I'm here, aren't I?

Finally got back to my home town and was waiting for a taxi to take me home. The girls' dad was yelling at me for something.

When I woke up, I wasn't sure where I was.