Blogs

Notices

Dealing with Insomnia

Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with Insomnia

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder about 10 years ago. Tried pretty much every possible medication out there to help... more recently, I have been trying to deal with a very stressful relationship with my significant other. I currently take Wellbutrin and Seroquel. The Seroquel is "supposedly" suppose to help with sleeping issues as well as being a mood-stablizer. I find that for myself, it seems to work pretty well, I take 75 mg every night. My doc tells me that some people take upwards of 600 or 700 mg. I can't even imagine what that would feel like personally. I would suggest Seroquel to people who especially have racing thoughts and think too much (like me). I find that it is a bit "addictive" though, I started off with 25 mg and went up to 100 mg because I seemed to develop some sort of dependency on it.

My mom also suffers from insomnia, she has introduced me to yoga, which is great for EVERYONE, and she also has a CD she listens to every night before falling asleep... not sure of the name of it, but it is a woman's voice talking very soothingly about releasing stress and calming the mind down. She seems to like it a lot.

Personally, I have made a recent decision to taper off of the Seroquel due to weight gain issues. I prefer to find more "natural" ways of getting rest. I feel as if for the past 10 years or so I have been over-medicated and have made the choice to live my life the way it was suppose to be.... but that's another story. Seroquel helped me a lot though.