Notices

"Trazodone" Anyone using this for sleep?

Old 09-03-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I love it!! I just started taking it and it slowly puts me to sleep..and I stay asleep!! no groggy feeling here either!!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

omg..i took 50 mgs last nite and slept for 3 hours..wth? I am so addicted to ambian it was like I was taking a placebo arggg!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Question

I assume this drug is seemed fairly safe, for use with recovering alcoholics.

Would that be fair to say?

Thanks for any thoughts...
Old 02-28-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I also had no idea so many people have tried Trazodone.

I have experienced taking it for about 2 years now. I take 300mg at nighttime, right before I lay down and try to sleep. In the beginning it did make me feel a little "out-of-whack". For example, if I woke up in the middle of the night and had to go to the restroom, I would feel like I was about to pass out standing up; dizzy-like. However this did go away after the first few weeks.

Besides the awful taste of the pill, I really never noticed any "hang-over" like effects or tiredness throughout the day (besides the usual laziness).

My biggest surprise is that I didn't build a tolerance toward Trazodone, like I did with Lunesta and Ambien, after only taking those a few weeks.

Anyways Trazodone has my vote, hope this was of some help.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I can attest to the erection part after having taken one 50mg tablet of Trazodone which my doctor prescribed for sleep even though it is an anti-depressant. It was kind of crazy.... instead of being able to sleep I was trying to get around the discomfort of a completely non-sexual erection that hurt a little.

I have since taken it but I will split it up into fours like the other person up here and only 25% of that entire 50mg pill, alongwith some OTC Robitussin (Diphenhydramine HCL) type stuff.

I'd love to hear any other recommendations.

Originally Posted by perspective View Post
I know everyone is different, but I feel the need to say what happened to me while on this...

I had been on it for a couple of weeks to help me sleep (50-100 mg) and the last time I took it I ended up having difficulty breathing, chest pain, couldn't talk, literally froze when I opened the door to tell my sister to call 911, lost the grasp of my cell phone, collapsed, and past out for 45 minutes...

It scared me to the point where I'm scared to take any type of medication since (its been about 2 weeks now I think).

Also, I've heard from my sister that her ex ended up having a very painful erection the next morning that he had to go to the Dr for (I've heard of this happening to other men as well while reading things online).
Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Side Effects

Trazadone is the only drug I have ever used that puts me to sleep and lets me sleep through the night. I have not been able to fall back to sleep if I wake up for the past 23 years. I have had vivid or scary dreams since I was at least 4 years old and they are less on Trazadone.

My problem is Dry Mouth (Cotton Mouth) and Blurred Vision. I quit taking the meds a week ago I thought were causing the problem, but now I a worried it may be the Trazedone. Anyone else with this problem?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:23 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I was on trazodone for a while, but it really didn't do much for me. It would help me go to sleep, but I'd still wake up after a couple of hours and frequently had difficulty going back to sleep. It also caused other digestive tract problems, which I won't go into, but you get my drift. . . After three months or so, I quit taking the trazodone primarily because it wasn't solving my sleep problems and I'd just as soon not take medications at all, especially if they aren't solving the problem. . .
Old 07-08-2011, 12:57 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I was on 300 mg for about a year for depression and insomnia (two of the 150 mg trapezoid-looking tablets). It worked well for me (as far as the sleep aid part) when I remembered to take it and was not taking anything else, as this was during the time when I was still using. However, I started on 50 mg and ended up working my way up to 300 mg over a period of a couple of months.

I wish I was still on it! If I had insurance now, I would be!

The only negative side effect I had was a temporary groggy feeling for about 15 minutes when I first woke up and of course the wicked cotton mouth feeling in the morning. Had to keep a water bottle next to the bed for that reason.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Trazadone did not help me at all, but most of my problems are caused by chronic pain so the only thing that really helps me sleep is vicodin or darvocet but I refuse to take that unless it is really really bad.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I've been taking trazadone for insomnia for 3 months now and it seems to be working well so far. My psychiatrist started me off with 25 mg. It wasn't enough. Then I experimented with 50 mg. Then 100 mg. It still wasn't that effective in treating my insomnia. It didn't really work too well for me until I got up to 150 mg.

I have to get up at 4:00 am 6 days a week for work. I take 150 mg trazadone at about 8:30 pm. Then I go to bed at about 10:30 pm. So I get about 5-6 hours of sleep.

One day a week I won't take trazadone and instead take 50 mg of diphenhydramine with 10 mg of melatonin just to mix it up a little.

I also throw in a low dose of xanax 0.25 mg a few times a week with the trazadone or diphenhydramine and melatonin to help with sleep and to relieve the stress and anxiety from work related stress.

My suggestion is to listen to your body and see what meds/dosage works for you with the help of a psychiatrist. Everyone's body is different.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Been using it since my psychiatrist suggested it last fall. I love it, keeps me asleep longer (no more waking at 2-3AM and then having my brain race with all sorts of garbage thoughts) but I do wake a bit groggy. However that has lessened the longer I take it.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Well, I guess I'm the wierdo. I take 300 mg per night & it's been since 2005 when I got divorced. It really isn't working anymore for me. If I take it 1/2 hr before going to sleep, I'll fall asleep for about 2 hrs & then I'm up & down all night. If I take nothing & wake up 2 hrs later, I take it then with the same result; only 2 hrs sleep. I can't even remember the last time I had a good night's sleep. I want to take nothing anymore, but I don't know if my body thinks that's even possible. So I give up!
Old 07-04-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrakeCKC View Post

I do wake a bit groggy.
I smoked cigarettes when I was taking Trazodone for sleep.
Would get extra dizzy in the morning after smoking those first couple of cigs.
After many years of use I just didn't want Trazodone and stopped taking it.

My wives doctor also had her taking it.
They give it away like candy it seems.

Mountainmanbob
Old 07-04-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BigRed57 View Post
Well, I guess I'm the wierdo. I take 300 mg per night & it's been since 2005 when I got divorced. It really isn't working anymore for me. If I take it 1/2 hr before going to sleep, I'll fall asleep for about 2 hrs & then I'm up & down all night. If I take nothing & wake up 2 hrs later, I take it then with the same result; only 2 hrs sleep. I can't even remember the last time I had a good night's sleep. I want to take nothing anymore, but I don't know if my body thinks that's even possible. So I give up!
I too would rather take nothing but like you said my body won't sleep very well. I'm a deep thinker. I think and worry too much at night. And my sleeping patterns are too irregular without meds.

And I can't take a chance on continually missing sleep or I would not be able to carry out my duties in life with holding a job, having a peace of mind in sobriety, family obligations.....The list goes on! Getting a good nights sleep to me is just as important for my sobriety as anything else!

My psychiatrist told me that if trazadone isn't helping my insomnia to let him know and he can either add something with the trazadone or find other meds that will put me to sleep! He guarantees anyone that he will find something that will work for them to put them to sleep!

I would discuss this with your psychiatrist and see if they can either add something with the trazadone or find something else to get you some better sleep. Don't give up!
Old 10-08-2018, 03:44 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm down to 50 mg of trazadone a night now. I used to take 150 mg. I found as long as a lesser dose is working, all the better. I'm hoping some day to be off all sleep meds.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I take 50 mg of Trazodone when needed to sleep. It typically keeps me out for exactly 1 1/2 hours.

When I first started taking it, I had vivid, weird dreams and often woke suddenly with a whole-body jerk.

But over the years those side effects have worn off.

Still, I can only depend on it for a solid hour and a half.

My psychiatrist has also suggested cutting my 50 mg pill in half if needed to use to take the edge off anxiety.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:23 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I take it occasionally, but I have permission to take up to 200 mg a night, but I don't often take that much. 200 mg usually puts me to sleep for about 4 hours or so.

The less I use it, the better it works, so on the days I don't need it, I try not to use it.

Trazadone works ok. It's not the best, it's not the worst. I don't have any side effects from it either.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:49 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
I take it occasionally, but I have permission to take up to 200 mg a night, but I don't often take that much. 200 mg usually puts me to sleep for about 4 hours or so.

The less I use it, the better it works, so on the days I don't need it, I try not to use it.

Trazadone works ok. It's not the best, it's not the worst. I don't have any side effects from it either.
Hi Alysheba!!! From your experience, which are some of the ones that work better for you? What's the dosage and are there any side effects?
Old 01-21-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I know I'm not supposed to give advice, but it probably would be a good idea to talk to your doctor about it. I've used other sleeping meds in the past, some work, some don't. It also depends on what your doctor will give you. Trazedone isn't really a sleeping pill, but a sedative antidepressant. I have to take benzos, which I am trying to slowly wean off with my psychiatrist, so I don't take any other sleep aids anymore. I don't recommend benzos as they can be very difficult to get off off.
Uncle Holmes, I hope it was helpful and I wish you the best of luck. It is really hard to not be able to sleep. ♥
Old 02-09-2019, 10:18 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I've been taking it nightly for ~20 years.

It has worked very well for me.

Unlike Mirtazapine, for example, it doesn't tell my brain I need food when I don't.

I have no problem with taking meds if they remedy a vexing problem, such as insomnia, anxiety or depression.