Notices

Nightmares

Old 11-14-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stronger than yesterday...

Unhappy Nightmares

I refer to them as nightmares since dreams have been more pleasant. Weird, I know. Anyway, I get the awful sweats (sometimes to the point that my hair is drenched) my breathing becomes more rapid and most of the time I wake up crying. I don't really remember anything about these nightmares other than my addiction being the dominating factor, it varies from my popping tons of pills, shooting, smoking or whatever to get my fix. I hate these nightmares and I often have a hard time letting myself sleep out of fear for another nightmare. I've talked with my counselor about these nightmares and she has told me on several occasions that its like a reminder of who I was, where I came from, who I am today and what I've gone through to get where I am today. I don't think I will ever forget the person I was and every day I look in the mirror I see who I am today and how far I've come in my recovery. Do the nightmares ever go away? I know each day in recovery is an achievement. I just want a little more piece of mind at night when I lay my head down. Does that piece of mind come with more time in recovery? Does it ever get better? Do the nightmares ever go away?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

dope dreams are real, they are horrible and they are common. they get fewer and farther between and you learn to handle them better. they used to control my whole day because i would wake up in such a mess. they still come now...a year later but they don't come as often and now i can wake up and shake it off. what you are going through is normal; know that. you aren't alone. i'm very very sorry... i know it's tough but it will get better.