Notices

Dreams and Restless Nights

Old 06-04-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams and Restless Nights

I was just curious to see if anyone else had the same problem as me.

I rarely sleep well. It takes me hours to get to sleep and then I have to be up at 7.30, meaning that I average at 5 hours sleep a night and then go and do a 12 hour day of school and work. It just can't be done!

When I sleep well, I dream like crazy. The dreams are so, so real and leave me disorientated for a good 5 minutes after I wake up. But even then, I drift in and out of sleep and in and out of the same dream, meaning I don't sleep more than 7 hours then!!

Anyone else have this problem? What do you do to help?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Princess,

I cannot say I have had the problem of dreams.
In fact, I seldom remember my dreams, though I went for years with only 5-6 hours at best, of sleep each night.

When it got so bad, I finally had to go to the doc for assistance. I got Trazadone, which really helped me sleep, and didn't make me drozy the next day as long as I took it 10 hours *before* I wanted to get up.

I also learned some sleep hygene techniques. Here are some ideas, that I hope will help:
Sleep only when sleepy
This reduces the time you are awake in bed.

If you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes, get up and do something boring until you feel sleepy
Sit quietly in the dark or read the warranty on your refrigerator. Don't expose yourself to bright light while you are up. The light gives cues to your brain that it is time to wake up.

Don't take naps
This will ensure you are tired at bedtime. If you just can't make it through the day without a nap, sleep less than one hour, before 3 pm.

Get up and go to bed the same time every day
Even on weekends! When your sleep cycle has a regular rhythm, you will feel better.

Refrain from exercise at least 4 hours before bedtime
Regular exercise is recommended to help you sleep well, but the timing of the workout is important. Exercising in the morning or early afternoon will not interfere with sleep.

Develop sleep rituals
It is important to give your body cues that it is time to slow down and sleep. Listen to relaxing music, read something soothing for 15 minutes, have a cup of caffeine free tea, do relaxation exercises.

Only use your bed for sleeping
Refrain from using your bed to watch TV, pay bills, do work or reading. So when you go to bed your body knows it is time to sleep. Sex is the only exception.

Stay away from caffeine, nicotine and alcohol at least 4-6 hours before bed
Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants that interfere with your ability to fall asleep. Coffee, tea, cola, cocoa, chocolate and some prescription and non-prescription drugs contain caffeine. Cigarettes and some drugs contain nicotine. Alcohol may seem to help you sleep in the beginning as it slows brain activity, but you will end end up having fragmented sleep.

Have a light snack before bed
If your stomach is too empty, that can interfere with sleep. However, if you eat a heavy meal before bedtime, that can interfere as well. Dairy products and turkey contain tryptophan, which acts as a natural sleep inducer. Tryptophan is probably why a warm glass of milk is sometimes recommended.

Take a hot bath 90 minutes before bedtime
A hot bath will raise your body temperature, but it is the drop in body temperature that may leave you feeling sleepy. Read about the study done on body temperature below.

Trouble Sleeping? Chill Out! - A press release from the journal Sleep about the significance in body temperature before sleep

Make sure your bed and bedroom are quiet and comfortable
A hot room can be uncomfortable. A cooler room along with enough blankets to stay warm is recommended. If light in the early morning bothers you, get a blackout shade or wear a slumber mask. If noise bothers you, wear earplugs or get a "white noise" machine.

Use sunlight to set your biological clock

As soon as you get up in the morning, go outside and turn your face to the sun for 15 minutes.
Hope these tips help you find some comfort.

And I've also heard that if you write down the content of your dreams, you may find something that your subconscious is trying to tell you.
It's worth a shot anyway....Why not check it out?

In the end, if you still get no relief, please do check with your doctor. It is very dangerous to go without sleep for a prolonged period of time. Especially if you're driving too!

I wish you the best. LEt us know how you're doing. We care...

Shalom!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PrincessNoodle View Post
I was just curious to see if anyone else had the same problem as me.

I rarely sleep well. It takes me hours to get to sleep and then I have to be up at 7.30, meaning that I average at 5 hours sleep a night and then go and do a 12 hour day of school and work. It just can't be done!

When I sleep well, I dream like crazy. The dreams are so, so real and leave me disorientated for a good 5 minutes after I wake up. But even then, I drift in and out of sleep and in and out of the same dream, meaning I don't sleep more than 7 hours then!!

Anyone else have this problem? What do you do to help?
I've just learned to live with it. Not sure what the cause is. As a coping mechanism, I take naps, longer than I should probably. But I am compensating for lack of sleep, as I'm writing here I notice it's 10:17 pm and I have to get up for work at 4:30 am. I may or may not take a nap after work tomorrow, have a lot to do. BTW, between work and the commute the day is from 4:30 am-3:30 pm if I only work an 8 hour day. The 12 hour days are killer. Goodnight, sweet dreams!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
God's Kid

It can be hard going

I've 2 medical conditions which cause insomnia. (I'm not even sure that's how it's spelt!) And one of them also stops my body falling into REM sleep so I can have 8 hours sleep and look/feel like I've been up all night.

I can still also remember the days of sleeping fine too - 2.5 years ago.

Lack of sleep, makes me mental too - so at times I have very unstable emotions. It sucks really but I can't change (unless I want to take sleeping pills which I don't) so I try to accept it.

There are some great tips here for you.

For myself when I lie in bed and can't get to sleep, I try not to get upset about. I don't think about how the next day I am going to be a nutter, as that makes me even more tense. I try and let my mind drift and think about pleasant things and try reminding myself that if I can't sleep at least I am resting.

I've had the vivid dream thing too. I got it when I was taking a certain type of medication. The doctor told me there is a name for what you described but for the life of me I can't remember it. I think it is to do with not being completely asleep but not being completely awake either.

Be great to hear what you find works for you.
Liz