Notices

If only I had known........

Old 04-14-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If only I had known........

If I had known alcohol slowly and quietly destroys your ability to sleep, i would have never picked up a single bottle. Day 56 here and still only getting 5-6 hours of sleep. I have yet to achieve the "standard" 8-9 hours without this or that sleep pill. Only slept like 4.5 hours last night and here i am on my computer at 6:45 am browsing the internet to kill time.

Anyone else feel the same way? Sleep is sooooooooo important, i keep thinking to myself "NOTE TO SELF: in the future stay away from sleep disrupting drugs....... do your homework next time before you try and ONLY use non sleep-disrupting drugs".

it's truly a tragedy that most of us find out about the "downside" of drugs only AFTER the damage has been done........ blessed is the person who reads up and does his homework on this stuff first and avoids these problems all together by keeping his drug use "casual" and under moderation

i think of my body like my car......... i just want (and expect) it to work, i just dont wanna deal with any of these complex problems.......... just work like youre supposed to and dont give me any issues, ok??

im talking to myself now........... anyways, just felt like ranting
Old 04-14-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i must admit, i used codeine to knock me out (not alcohol) but that 8hrs is a myth really, for most healthy adults the amount of sleep you need varies. I function fine on 5 hrs, anymore and i feel like ive got a hangover (sorry probably a wrong analogy for you but can't think of a better word). There is a great app that calculates the optimum time when you should wake up/go to bed based on the sleep phases, 90 minutes is a basic sleep cycle, if you awaken in the middle of a cycle, you will feel groggy and tired, if you wake just at the end of your cycle, you will feel like you had a good rest.

Theres a great article on sleep here:
How Much Sleep Do We Really Need? | National Sleep Foundation

i have used sleepyti.me in the past to figure out when i should go to bed/get up:
sleepyti.me bedtime calculator
Old 04-14-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Confused, five hours a day worked for me till it didn't.

I was taking prescription medication that was interfering with my sleep, and had a stressful job.

It affected my ability to cope with life in general.

That link you posted says adults need 7-9 hours a day. That five hour few months I had took a year to resolve. Now I'm back at 7-9 every day and I feel so much better.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

if you carry on to the other pages they bring in other factors that could have an impact on your sleep.

mind you im hopeless when it comes to getting to sleep, i have been prescribed seroquel/quetiapine to help with my moods and insomnia (when i went to see my doc i was on day 5 of not having slept and was practically delusional and hallucinating) but now im too scared to start taking the meds having read up on the horrendous side effects.. think id rather not sleep than end up with type 2 diabetes, cataracts, heart disease or put on weight!! (yes, to me that last one is the biggest problem @_@ )

seems a fairly common problem though, ppl doing away with their poc and then ending up here in the insomnia forum!
Old 03-09-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
If I had known alcohol slowly and quietly destroys your ability to sleep, i would have never picked up a single bottle. Day 56 here and still only getting 5-6 hours of sleep. I have yet to achieve the "standard" 8-9 hours without this or that sleep pill. Only slept like 4.5 hours last night and here i am on my computer at 6:45 am browsing the internet to kill time.

Anyone else feel the same way? Sleep is sooooooooo important, i keep thinking to myself "NOTE TO SELF: in the future stay away from sleep disrupting drugs....... do your homework next time before you try and ONLY use non sleep-disrupting drugs".

it's truly a tragedy that most of us find out about the "downside" of drugs only AFTER the damage has been done........ blessed is the person who reads up and does his homework on this stuff first and avoids these problems all together by keeping his drug use "casual" and under moderation

i think of my body like my car......... i just want (and expect) it to work, i just dont wanna deal with any of these complex problems.......... just work like youre supposed to and dont give me any issues, ok??

im talking to myself now........... anyways, just felt like ranting

Hi, did you ever start sleeping normally again? How long did it take if so? I'm struggling?
Old 03-09-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me a couple months before my sleep patterns became normal again. But now I have the most wonderful sleep and I wake up feeling good.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi notgonnadrinknm

within a month I was sleeping well and that's pretty much continued ever since

D