Notices

I am new and I thought it was just me........

Old 05-22-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am new and I thought it was just me........

I too cannott sleep with out being hammered or passing out. This is a definate reason that I have had difficulty trying to quit. Sleep medications do not work for me consistently, which leads to a feeling of utter hopelessness! Nothing like taking an ambien and laying down and still staring up athe ceiling 3 hours later. Any advice on non alcoholic sleep would be great!
Old 05-23-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Guess Not????
Old 05-23-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Bigpoppa!
I drank to sleep as well, I didn't think I would ever be able to sleep without getting hammered. It took getting sober and allowing my body to heal a bit before my sleep patterns got better. I take Melatonin which is an OTC supplement and it seems to help quite a bit. I still have nights when I just 'stare at the ceiling' but they seem to be less frequent. I hope this helps a little.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Live The Life You Want

I have been sober awhile and still have trouble sleeping. I do know that it takes time for the fog to lift and allow your body to normalize. I really didn't sleep when I drank either, that is not a restful sleep. All of the meds are counteracted by the alcohol anyway. Until the alcohol is out of the way it will be hard to say. Good luck to you.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome to the club, i have almost a year and going with stronger things than your ambian........try asking your doc for help as recovering alcoholics we have problems shutting off our minds and going into that rem sleep that gives us our restful sleep just be hoinest with your doc..........good luck!

Pamm
Old 05-27-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Aids for not sleeping

I'm clean and sober for 22 years - and still have some nights where I don't sleep very well. But I used drugs for over 30 years to sleep - and alcohol to pass out. So my body had to get retrained.

What works for me is a combination of things: daily meditation twice a day, which I can then use to quiet my mind at night when I wake up, a routine before bedtime (warm milk, quiet music, warm bath, dark room, cool temperature) that I tried never to vary from in the beginning, writing a list of what I was worrying about and turning it over to a Higher Power.

I also use AA/NA speaker tapes and guided meditation tapes to fall asleep to.

It does get better, just takes time.

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler
Old 05-27-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to our mental health forum:ghug2
Old 08-05-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Is there any underlying anxieties keeping you awake? I can never sleep when hungover (as Im usually hysterical from the alcohol - but it does pass). Im new too - hello. sleep usually gets easier for me, especially if i eat LOADS of fruit and vegetables regularly. when i do that, its easy
Old 08-05-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi sickchicken,

I do manual labor for a living (roofing since 1976). My body is so used to the physical work that if I go more than 3 or 4 days without it my schedule gets really screwy. Long vacations and winter months can throw me for a loop. I guess physical activity and diet are the key to sleep for me...after I became sober of course.

Peace

P.S. Just noticed this is an older thread, the original poster bigpoppa, may or may not respond....have a great sober day !!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been sober for a little over a year, and am still on a sleep medication.

I have had trouble on and off (drinking or not) with sleep walking, sleep talking, and in recent years with sleep eating.

During my drinking the dr. was working on a solution to my sleep problem and we couldn't make any headway. Once I sobered up both my dr.s said that sleep was critical to my mental health and physical health and that I must get rest.

So we tried a variety of medications till we found one that works. I am having some problems now if I don't eat correctly prior to bed time...then I sleep eat. Over all I am much better off now. It botheres me that I have to take the medication, but I was clearly told that lack of sleep can indirectly kill you....and will certainly make your life more miserable.

So while problems sleeping can be just a part of the process of getting sober I believe it is important to watch out in case it is more than a result of drinking.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I use a technique that sometimes helps. Get into your sleeping position, lights out, quiet. Close your eyes and recite a long poem or story you know by heart in your mind. It will help focus your thoughts and calm you down. A bit like a bedtime story.

I also have sleep disorders, nothing medical really seems to work without side effects I can't handle.

I spent some time in a sleep clinic and the most important thing I was told was to keep to a set schedule with the sleep/wake cycle. A regular routine around the bed time with soothing rituals keeps key the mind to sleep.

Lenina
Old 08-18-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Bigpoppa (like the Big Bopper!)

So glad you wrote! I'm taking it you're new to sobriety cause you said you having trouble quitting??

I've been sober 20+ years and was told in the beginning, "no one died from lack of sleep". Didn't seem very loving to me at the time. (I could have hurt her! just kidding) Anyway, yes, it's hard in the beginning. All of us go through it. You're definately not alone. Yet what is true is, it won't stay that way. Your body has to heal and get back to a normal state and get used to not having to use something. (It CAN be done! YES!) That's why we're told to go to alot of meetings, read the Big Book (it can put you to sleep!!)

Get a sponsor and journal. Yes, journal the stuff out. Again, I feel for ya. It's no fun getting sober. In fact, it's easy to stay sober than to get sober so once you get through the tough beginning, it will be easier and easier.

I read some of the other answers to you and I know it sounds hokey to drink warm milk (or in my case, camomile tea) or to meditate, but if you want to get this stuff out of your body, then you have to be willing to go to any lengths.

Heck! Just give it a try. You already know the other road; try this sobriety road!

All the best for you and I'l be rooting for ya!