Hello there - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2020, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello there

I don’t visit this forum, but I thought I’d put this here and not in the usual alcoholism section, because I think it fits here.

I’ve been in a very dark place for several months grieving the death of my father last January. I have additional guilt, resentments, and just a lot of psychic detritus that has never been cleared from my drinking years, even though I am sober 2.5 years.

Two nights ago, during a darker than dark period, I had a visitation dream. My father visited me. I know this deep in my heart and it was a profound experience. He came to see me and hold me, and he also held my brother and my mom. There were several different scenes in this dream and at the end I looked at him and said, “you have to go back, don’t you,” and then I woke up.

I have dreams my father is in that are not visitation dreams. The difference is palpable. I’ll go into this more later if anyone is interested.

What’s important about this is that my decision to avoid therapy and medication persists. I truly believe due to my career and thinking that I’m an intuitive person and now more than ever, I want my mind and subconscious open and free.

I’m considering AA more deeply than I ever have. I quit using AVRT but this new connection to spirit and the knowledge that I have a bunch of psychic clutter to clear, clutter that has been there since my drinking days, is making that path make more sense,

That said at 2.5 years of sobriety I’d demand a very wise and experienced sponsor with enough time under her belt.

I hope those of you who are grieving have experienced what I have, it was very peaceful and beautiful, and felt very real.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stayingsassy For This Useful Post:
Astro (01-30-2020), Dee74 (01-29-2020), least (01-29-2020), Mags1 (03-04-2020), PhoenixJ (02-04-2020), silentrun (03-28-2020), Steely (02-08-2020), TacoDude (02-08-2020), Tatsy (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Sassy but it sounds like that dream gave you a little peace?

I'm glad

D
Old 01-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry for the loss of your father. I lost my mom over five years ago and sometimes she appears in my dreams. Sending you prayers for peace of mind.

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day. -Albert Camus

Find the good and praise it. - Alex Haley

least is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
Astro (01-30-2020), Dee74 (01-29-2020), Mags1 (03-04-2020), silentrun (03-28-2020), Stayingsassy (01-29-2020), Steely (02-08-2020), Tatsy (02-02-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you.

Visitation dreams are so common that they are being studied in the psychology field, not just by paranormal enthusiasts. The dreams share common elements. In them, you know the person has died. There is no elaborate plot, the person addresses you in a simple way and carries a message that isnít always spoken. The physical presence of the person is striking, they smell as they did when alive; of wool, or tobacco, or their perfume. When you touch them, there is the sensation of the physical person. Their arms, their shoulders are solid. Usually, they donít speak. They appear younger and a bit healthier. Sometimes, they glow.

Iíve had two this year. One happened a month after his death. And this one was two days ago. I wake up with the entire dream as if it just happened to me, with a very strong feeling he was there. Itís unnerving because it feels so real.

He doesnít speak in mine. I ask him things but he doesnít answer. Sometimes, he looks sad, sometimes peaceful. He always hugs me though, and hugs whoever else is there. When I see him I have this intense desire to find my mom and brother because I canít believe Iím seeing him. This time, my brother and I saw him at the same time, at the end of a hall, standing there. We hugged him from either side. Then we were in my parents living room and my brother said, we have to find mom. My mother came in and curled up next to him, her arm around him. Then he sat with me on the couch in the same room, the tv was on. I kept looking at him knowing he would have to leave and finally I said ďyou have to leave, donít you.Ē He looked at me peacefully. Then I woke up.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stayingsassy For This Useful Post:
Astro (01-30-2020), Dee74 (01-29-2020), least (01-29-2020), Mags1 (03-04-2020), silentrun (03-28-2020), Steely (02-08-2020), Tatsy (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 05:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thats beautiful Sassy , im sure that must have given you a lot of peace.

i had one after my Aunty died. It was so different and it was indeed palpable.

i reached out and touched her and physically felt her touch on my arm. She said you need to tell Jo ( my Mum ) its so beautiful here & im just so happy.

ive never had a dream like it since & i constantly think of it as it was so profound. I literally woke as though i had just been talking to her and i had a sense of total peace.

it was really beautiful I dont quite know what i believe religious wise, but i do know some things are inexplicable -)

thanks for sharing, i found your post really interesting xx
SnoozyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SnoozyQ For This Useful Post:
Alysheba (03-14-2020), Astro (02-02-2020), Mags1 (03-04-2020), silentrun (03-28-2020), Steely (02-08-2020), Tatsy (02-02-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
voices ca**y

I think these dreams can heal us in a way nothing else can. Is it the person or is it some other guide including our own higher intuition? Who is to say? Some of these wounds can't be healed with thinking them through, you have to feel it. I had one back 25 years ago when a friend's husband died. It was just like you said I knew he was dead. He simply wanted me to give a message to my friend. He just asked me to tell her that he was alright. When I was 9 months into recovery I had someone sit with me all night and tell me jokes. She said, "I have to go, you are waking up."

With the recent death I am dealing with I was given 2 nods the day she passed and one the next day.

I'd love to hear more of your story.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silentrun For This Useful Post:
Astro (03-29-2020), courage2 (03-28-2020)