Notices

Morning Gratitude Part 120

Old 11-28-2022, 06:58 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

FBL, wow! That story about Irene! I still listen to Flashdance. It is in my running playlist 😊 May she rip
Imvlentine, we sometimes sing the smelly cat friends song here. Lol
Numblady, I agree FB is not all bad and is good for some things though I also refer to it as Fakebook like Palmer does. Lol
Sorry for those having doom thoughts. I had a lot of this too about health and death when my Dad was living with Alzheimer’s and the first year after his death which was also still in the pandemic. I’m not as bad now about the health stuff but I fell into the doom trap last week and began catastrophizing everything when some things went wrong. We still have a roof leak after already spending thousands of dollars to supposedly fix it. Now It turns out to be not a roof problem, or perhaps partly that but more of a siding dry rot problem. A few years ago we were told the windows installation was a problem which wasn’t it but who knows. So I start thinking about how this whole thing is a money pit, we will never figure out the problem,, our house will eventually fall into a sink hole or landslide and we will lose everything. Clearly I have a problem and need to stop
Grateful to have some time this week during the work day to hopefully talk to the contractor with Mr F and get some answers
Grateful to plant some new succulents over the weekend. Planting things and watching them grow (when I don’t kill them. Lol) always lifts my spirit
Grateful for a painting that went bad and the belly laughs it gave me and sonny boy. It was supposed to be a lighthouse but it looks more like an alien. Imagine that 😂
Hev, glad your neighbors but those branches. We have a heritage oak tree that extends massively into two neighbors yards - the side and back neighbors. We cut it back every few years but cannot cut too much as it will upset the delicate balance, so we are told. So, glad the neighbors enjoy the oak 😊
Grateful to remember to see things in all the colors and shades of grey ( hey, I never saw that movie!} and not just black and white. I really need to work on this
Grateful to catch up with two great friends yesterday and to remind myself the importance of not isolating, and of the perspective that being social always gives me
Grateful sonny boy did all his homework and we didn’t have to deal with that struggle last week
Old 11-28-2022, 07:11 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Grateful for a drive by here.
Hev, we judge things and people. That’s what keeps us safe, so perhaps wishing for not judging is not what you wish, Eh? Maybe discernment and gathering much information to make accurate judgements. 🤓😎
Fearless, sending love and hugs out west over the mountains to you.
Zura, glad you are keeping busy. Working outside is my thing too. LOVE IT.
Alpine, I love fires too. Yes, agreed, you need some tools for a safer fire for sure.
CBS, PS, hope all is well, I know you are very busy. Big hugs
NL, yes, three weeks is a loooonnnnggg time 🤯
Mattsbro, glad you’re a regular on the thread
Mags, hoping the move in is going smoothly, and asthma is under control you being back on old meds

Hopefully didn’t miss anyone!
imval, I love the snow! Hoping to ski today and tomorrow if not too bitterly cold

Old 11-28-2022, 08:39 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Free, when I first moved back last year and took over all of the cooking for my MIL I asked her where the fire extinguisher was, her response was " I don't have one, I never needed it" hmmm, sigh... I ran out and got one.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:42 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Fearless, sorry about those house woes and the doom thoughts that arise. It is discouraging when you think you've fixed something, and the problem pops up again.
Grateful for a really good night's sleep, which I needed to fight off this minor cough.
Grateful for a lovely discussion group by zoom yesterday.
Grateful for a quiet day ahead, I think I'll try to paint and take an easy walk.
Grateful for my space heater sitting right next to me, very cozy.
Grateful for tea.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:00 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

. duplicate post.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:13 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Fearless - I hope you'll start to sleep better - I'm sorry you've had a down time. Your tree - it sounds lovely! I tried to tell our neighbor her branches weren't bothering us, but she felt bad about the falling leaves.
Tursiops - Hoping you'll feel better asap - good that you slept.
NL - It's great that there have been some positive times with the kids lately. Such a relief when things go well.
Palmer - I doomscrolled earlier, but stopped myself before I ruined the morning. Grateful for that.
Free - You're right - it's discernment I will focus on.
Grateful it's raining & not snowing. Need to finish shopping - then the fluffy white stuff may commence.
Grateful for Hallmark & Lifetime Christmas movies - even if they're a bit predictable.
Grateful for a decent sleep - wish it could be every night.
Love to all.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:15 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Good morning all 🌞

FBL - that must have been a bit unpleasant.

NL - Good on your son for doing his manly duties 😜.

PS - glad son is safely back at college and you had a peaceful day.

MattsBro - lovely to have you here.

ImVal - I'm so glad I wasn't drinking coffee while reading your post. I would have laugh spurted it everywhere...."wouldn't look very good dead either"🤣🤣🤣.

CBS - sounds a busy day, I hope you get time for a lovely walk.

Alpine - hot and sour soup sounds very interesting!

Fearless - the house issue sounds very stressful and expensive 😔 best wishes with it all.

Free - working outside is wonderful ☺️. I must admit im struggling a bit with it atm with allergies.

Turs - painting, easy walk and snuggling beside the heater sounds like a good plan. I hope your cough clears up quickly.

Hev - I'm sending good thoughts for snow holding off until you've finished your shopping.

This morning I am grateful for:
- reconnecting with an old friend over messenger on the weekend. It was fun.
- watching things grow ❤️.
- that I have all the essentials in life and sometimes some luxuries.

Have a great day all ❤️.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:24 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi all

quick check in, hope everyone is well.

for those amazed I'd done my shopping I think being sober helped on that front! More time energy to browse the Internet for gifts (remember the good old days when I'd go to the actual shops and come home with lots of bags) just doesn't seem to be the way anymore.
Anyway today I am grateful that tomorrow is 333 days sober and Thursday is 11 months.
Grateful to have made a postive difference to somebodies day today.
Grateful for better sleep.
Grateful a family member came up trumps when needed today.
Grateful for cheese (I love cheese alot)
Grateful for mildish temperatures this week.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:52 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Grateful for coffee.
Grateful I resisted the urge to read social media this morning - I'm trying to be more disciplined about SR and work email only on the days I have to go into the office.
Grateful we watched Elf last night.
Grateful for telework days, but also grateful for the chance to interact with people at work.
Grateful I don't have any particularly stressful meetings this week.
Grateful I ordered my first Christmas present (singular), trying to channel my inner Britbird!
Grateful to remember I need to request some time off for Christmas/New Year's.
Grateful to be sober.
Old 11-29-2022, 04:19 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Grateful to be sober
Grateful Mr. A and I had the night to ourselves.
Grateful we went to a local hamburger place that has been around for a very long time.
Grateful to have a comfy bed to sleep in and blankets
Grateful for the woodburning stove in the basement
Grateful I slept well last night
Grateful for the different pressure feet that Mr. A had got me for my sewing machine last year. I never got around to changing them out. A little difficult when drinking. I have an industrial machine so you have to be pretty aware of what you are doing.
Old 11-29-2022, 04:32 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Grateful for another day sober.
Old 11-29-2022, 04:41 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Grateful PS saying she watched Elf reminded me to move that darn elf on the shelf. I don’t really think my daughter can possibly believe it but she still seems to be expecting it.
Imval loved what you said about the aging and radiation and not being dead. Like that kind of humor. Plus it’s true!
Alpine, forgot to say I also loved that pic of 3rd place kid.
Okay I had to check myself. It’s not actually three full weeks of break. But it is 2 and a half and they don’t go back until 1/9 which means there are quite a few normal workdays where they will be unoccupied.
Fearless, I so feel you on that particular kind of darkness—the house and the avalanche of feelings. It sounded a lot like how I feel about the divorce law firm. It’s both the frustration that comes from lack of resolution but for me at least even more than that this feeling of being stuck and so ineffectual. I know I am not actually powerless or helpless but it feels like at every turn when I try to do something that make sense it just ends up worse. I’m sorry-realize this is not gratitude but I guess I can be grateful for what I am learning from it all.

Grateful for my rice maker.
Grateful for some warmer temps.
Grateful I held my ground on grounding for my son. I know this is bad but I’m also grateful he didn’t fight me on it.
Grateful for the idea of acting as if. So lately I have been focusing on trying to act as if I am a person who sticks up for myself and doesn’t take a bunch of crap.
Grateful for Britbird and others inspiring me to get some more shopping done.
Grateful for physical health and safety.
Grateful for all of you grat packers.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:37 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Free I am glad that huge family is no longer upstairs. Wow.
NL Good for you sticking to your guns and grounding your son. He will respect you for it ultimately.
Alpine I am glad you had a nice night with Mr. A.
PS I need to back away from social media. I check it a lot.
BB Congrats on 333 and almost 11 months !
Zura you are inspiring me. I think I will try to get a winter garden going. Maybe some spinach and lettuce.
Hev I am glad you got some good sleep.
Turs I hope you are felling better.
Fearless I am glad you had a good time with friends. I need to reach out more to my friends. I have been really isolating since I quit drinking because they are all drinkers. Some more than others. But it is getting easier to be around people drinking especially if it is not excessive.

Grateful I have a follow up with my Gastroenterologist today. Hoping for good news.
Grateful the turkey tetrazzini I made last night turned out great. I put the leftover gravy in it and the leftover stuffing on top. Totally improvised the recipe by adding mushrooms and toasted slivered almonds too.
Grateful for a sunny day. More rain tomorrow but we need it apparently.
Grateful for my sobriety.
Grateful for an in person meeting with my boss today at our new co-working space. It is closer than our old office.
Grateful I had a good/difficult therapy session yesterday. My therapist told me to kills the ANTs(Automatic Negative Thoughts). An approach to dealing with my health anxiety.
Grateful for the Grat Pack, SR and all the Admins.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:56 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Grateful for the free dinner last night
Grateful for the trip to Goodwill to drop of drinkware I no longer want in the house
Grateful for the golf club I purchased, fueling my sober project.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:10 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I’m grateful I have no commitments so I can stay in out of the snow. 7-8 inches through today. I would happily share it with you Free. I’ll look out the window while you ski. That is how I enjoy snow!

I’m grateful I went with my daughter to Michael’s yesterday. I went overboard with kids Christmas crafts but I confess I enjoy them for me. I had a babysitter that did crafts with me. She would gather tumbleweeds and spray snow in a can on them. She had miniature ornaments and we made a lot of things also for our trees.

I’m grateful I accomplished online shopping last night.

Zura I am glad you had a chuckle over my wrinkle woes. A sense of humor is a blessing.

Alpine the fire extinguisher share was funny.

Now I’m grateful my daughter is going out for unhealthy McDonald’s breakfast. I’ll even it out later with a salad.

Have a good Tuesday everyone.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:19 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

NL, I love our rice maker too. We use it for steel cut oats and it has a timer on it so I get it ready the night before and Mr. A has some nice warm breakfast the next day.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:23 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

CBS, I can learn from your therapist about the ANTs. I also relate to the isolating, even after five years. Many of my friends are heavy drinkers. Some I’ve had to let go completely because they tried to pressure me into drinking and made me feel bad when I wouldn’t. I’m grateful for my few friends who don’t drink. So blessed to have them in my life
Numblady, did you ever read Franz Kafka’s books? Sometimes life feels like that
PS, glad you mentioned Elf. It’s one of our family favs. Gotta watch it. For now we’ve been watching the Toby Maguire Spider-Man movies
Imvalentine , I love Michael’s too
Mattsboro, good sounds like a good sober project
Grateful ai slept ok last night. Not great. But the night before was really good. It can’t always be perfect
Grateful to speak with the contractor and receive some reasonable explanations. He also promised to give us some credit and a guarantee so waiting for a revised quote
Grateful the xmas shopping is mostly done
Grateful to book flights for ski trip in February
Grateful to feel a lot better about things and life today 😊
Old 11-29-2022, 10:47 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

NL - When I was raising my son, all I wanted was to keep the peace & avoid confrontation. (Same way I was with my parents & others.) That was definitely not the way to go. I regret not taking a stand when necessary. Thankfully, he's a good person as a grown up. You're doing good.
CBS - I must kill the ants too. (clever) Glad it was a good & helpful session.
Matts - I had that drinkware too, & did the same thing. I had a set of glasses with 'Name Your Poison' on them - from when drinking was fun & hadn't become a necessity yet. Who knew it really would become poison? Anyway, glad you dumped those.
Fearless - I'm surprised when my drinking friends say, 'Oh, Hev - just have one'. Um...there is no 'one' for me. I thought they understood, but they really don't/can't.
Grateful I finished online shopping. Now to hit a store or two in person.
Grateful for sunshine, birds, UPS & Fed-Ex.
Grateful for another decent night's sleep with no awfulizing.
Grateful for you

Old 11-29-2022, 12:19 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

oh weee, am I good at making fires in a wood burning stove or not. I got it up and running again today. So nice a cozy down in my little cave. It will be hard to venture upstairs or over to the apartment.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:19 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Grateful my cough seems better today.
Grateful for therapy session and a really understanding therapist.
Grateful for another quiet day for painting.
Grateful to discover a lovely online source of photographs to use as references for paintings, with no copyright issues!
Grateful for my comfortable home. Not fancy, but cozy and quiet.