Notices

Morning Gratitude Part 117

Old 07-16-2022, 05:10 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I have a busy day, so just a quick drop in to say I'm grateful for every one of you.
Old 07-16-2022, 06:01 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Grateful for another day sober.
Old 07-16-2022, 06:09 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Good morning Grat Packers. I used to hate mornings. But now that I am sober I am waking up earlier, not hungover and I like mornings.
Hev I agree as I said. It's nice to wake up early and be productive or just enjoy some coffee not feeling gross or with regret.
BB and Jack I hope you stay cool during the heat wave. Climate change is real and a huge concern for us all.
Alpine I hope you sleep better tonight.
NL thanks for sharing about your dog trainer. My dog is an alpha male type and very dog reactive. But I never knew it was for show unlike the females. I have heard that if you are going to have two dogs that two males is the best combo, followed by one of each and two females is the worst combo if you want them to be compatible.
PS I hope the house sells soon for everyone's sake.

Grateful for good sleep.
Grateful for Saturday and no plans. There is a ton of things that need doing but I don't have anything that is a must. I may go swimming laps with my daughter.
Grateful for sunshine. We have had a few days of overcast and rain.
Grateful my cucumbers are really producing. Eggplant and peppers not so much yet. Maybe they need fertilizer.
Grateful for my sobriety.
Grateful for SR and the GP.
Old 07-16-2022, 06:17 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Glad some of the GP feeling better, on the INSIDE as well as the outside
Grateful for self awareness that sobriety brings
Grateful for coffee
Grateful that breakfast line was almost zero, weird since there is only one hour left to disembark the ship
Grateful I see my daughter one week from tomorrow
Old 07-16-2022, 07:44 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

NL,wow you have so much going on. I don't know how you do it. You amaze me
Free, I am happy to hear your husband does not have to be airlifted
I know I am missing people..I can't keep up..Argh... I will later, we have to head back out.
Grateful we got in a nice morning paddle board in of about 5.5 miles. woot woot
Old 07-16-2022, 08:59 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Fearless - Your comments about overachieving and people-pleasing at work really struck home with me. Good for you for working through it and communicating openly with your boss. I took a different route to clarity, unfortunately, but will take the lessons learned into my next employment opportunity.
BB - I love so much what you said about gaining confidence and drive. Sobriety opens up a whole new world of possibilities for us.
PS - It's heartwarming to hear about how you are supporting your parents. Your comment about your mother's sense of humor brought a smile to my face, as it reminded me of mine.

Grateful to have completed my run this morning, though it felt like I was running in a sauna.
Grateful to have morning golf on TV in the background. I always enjoy watching The Open tournament and the beautiful courses in England, Ireland, and Scotland.
Grateful for the non-stop entertainment from this idiot cat of mine, who can seemingly play for hours with a one-inch shard of notebook paper that found its way to the floor from a spiral notebook.
Grateful for a new friend that I have found in sobriety and the dormant feelings that are being awakened.
More and more grateful for my sobriety with each passing day.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:57 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

NL, so glad you got through the discussion with your kids and that it went reasonably ok.
Fearless, hope your sleep issues ease up ... I rely a lot on the Calm app in the middle of the night (there's a meditation specifically for waking up in middle of night ... "Gently Back to Sleep" by Tamara Levitt).
Palmer - I hope the house sale goes smoothly. It sounds like you are doing such a great job supporting your parents through this tough transition.

Grateful for an in-person meeting with a bereavement group yesterday (with doors and windows wide open, & I sat near the door ... trying not to get covid).
Grateful to be going to see Mr. T's sister today. [warning: Grati-whine ahead] She is mentally and emotionally disabled, and it's a long drive, so it is tough for me to gear up for these visits. However, I am grateful that she and I can share memories of Mr. T and love for him, so that binds us together.
Grateful for my two days of paddling on a beautiful creek that runs into the ocean. Grateful also to discover various camping apps that are giving me great locations for upcoming trips, near esteros where I can paddle. Will try to post a pic.
Old 07-16-2022, 10:02 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Salmon Creek outlet 2.jpg
This is Salmon Creek, near where it meets the ocean, taken from my board.
Old 07-16-2022, 12:39 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Turps, I’ve got to check out that one on Calm. Didn’t know that so thank you. Last night was I think the 8th night in a row with bad sleep 😔. I was coughing at bedtime and my husband suggested I take something for it. I have t really been feeling sick - more like my body is trying to fight something. But because the coughing would t stop, I took some Delsym. Unfortunately, though it helped the cough, it wired me and made my sleep restless. Plus these types of medications make me feel horrible the next day. Today I feel like I am hungover and stomach is terrible. Grateful it’s not from drinking 😊
Grateful you all understand about the occasional whines here 😊
Clearpath, glad you went for a run. I hope to be back out there soon!
Free, I hope your husband is ok
Feeling for all of you going through heat waves. It is expected to be 87 here today which is high for where I am but nothing like other places. there’s no humidity, a soft breeze and it cools back down at night so I feel very fortunate. I will send some of the cool breeze to you ❤️
Grateful I canceled my volunteering today to get some rest
Grateful for the gazebo space
Grateful to be flexible with sonny boys karate schedule but also hold him accountable.
Grateful to read all your posts, though I’m sorry I have g commented on them all. Grateful there’s no expectation here to do that
Old 07-16-2022, 01:20 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Morning all, this morning I am grateful for my son showing kindness.
Old 07-16-2022, 10:29 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Magsie

Grateful that rain looks imminent. The air is heavy, we need it.
Grateful to be able to laugh at myself.
Grateful for all your Grats.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:40 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Turs, wow! That is absolutely gorgeous, thank you so much for sharing.
CBS and NL, so interesting about the male/female competition - I have two females who are sisters, and I didn't know that it was the worst combo, but I have definitely learned that it is. I feel like asserting my dominance as the pack leader has been pretty helpful, but hopefully I didn't just jinx myself by saying that!
NL, does your therapist say anything about your husband's drinking and being alone with the kids? If someone brought that up while I was drinking, I would have been adamant that my kids were completely safe, but of course I would have been wrong too. Thinking of you and all you have to manage right now.
Fearless, so sorry about your disrupted sleep, that totally sucks!
CP, having golf on TV was a constant growing up, and now that I'm spending more time with my parents the tournaments are on all the time. I was thinking the UK would have lush, green courses but my dad was explaining something about lacking irrigation so the grass dies...? I kind of zoned out but I do prefer watching the US courses, if I have to watch any at all.

Grateful for coffee.
Grateful I'm not alone in my insomnia and poor sleep.
Grateful my parents got an offer on their house! They still have showings but I'm hoping this process moves to the next stage quickly. They spent most of the day at our house yesterday, which was fine except my dogs are too excited for them. So, the dogs end up behind a gate, just barking and crying which makes me want to pull my hair out. Grateful my mom and I had some laughs while watching Seinfeld, and grateful my dad really appreciates anyone cooking for him these days.
Grateful my husband is going up for a very brief trip to visit my son at college - there and back in one day.
Grateful my younger son is home from his camping trip.
Grateful tomorrow is a telework day.
Grateful to be sober.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:57 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Turs, awesome pic!
Fearless, I’m sorry about the sleep struggles and envious of the temps you have. So much here is crunchy and brown. I honestly don’t know how anything that lives outside is alive.
PS, yes therapist and legal team and I all talk about it. It’s a delicate balancing game with no great answer. Going for full custody would be hugely adversarial, expensive, and actually not likely to succeed legally even with his history. Plus, I won’t ever fully lose hope that he can be the father his kids need. Totally interrupting that relationship probably isn’t what’s best for them, either. So…I’m just hoping we can agree for me to have additional possession and have some language in the decree about not driving while intoxicated, etc. In other news, that’s great news about your parents’ house (fingers crossed!).

Grateful to see two young red foxes on my walk with the dog yesterday. We go to basically like an industrial/office park kind of area to try and avoid other dogs. These two foxes were just out in the open in the daylight, rolling around and playing. They even saw us and didn’t run away so I don’t know if they are getting fed by humans or just used to seeing them or what. My dog was VERY interested in meeting them but I thought better of it .
Grateful for the joyous rounds of applause at AA meetings when people pick up chips for lengths of sobriety. I don’t think there is any difference in the joyfulness and celebration for 30 days or 30 years.
Grateful to get a lesson in humility yesterday—trying to be helpful with the meeting video but really I just wanted to get a gold star for helpfulness and I think I was kind of disruptive. Hard to explain but bottom line is the universe helped me see it was my ego trying to earn points and control things.
Grateful for a call with my sponsor yesterday, even if I was kind of out of it and unfocused.
Grateful to hear a really funny talented wonderful speaker in an online meeting last night.
Grateful for this group and how nice it makes mornings.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:19 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Turs, that is a beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing
Mags, I am grateful I can laugh at myself as well. The older I get the easier it has become, and honestly there is a lot to laugh at. LOL
Fearless, I have a hard time keeping up with and commenting/acknowledge people as well. Everyone here means a lot to me so I am sorry if I miss something.
PS, that is great news on the offer
NL, always grateful to see you. You inspire me
Grateful I actually slept last night
Grateful we had a fire in the fire pit last night
Grateful we are supposed to get rain tomorrow which we really need.
Grateful for all of you
Old 07-17-2022, 05:20 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Not the best picture but here is one of the many loons we saw on our trip

Old 07-17-2022, 07:19 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Turs - Thanks for the beautiful pic. That looks like such a nice, serene spot.
PS - I think there's something about the history of those old UK courses that attracts me. Different style of golf. And sometimes the weather can make for a real challenge. I like it when the golfers really have to grind it out. Must be the masochist in me.
NL - I can totally relate to your comment on humility. I like to think that I've gotten better about this with age, but it's often a struggle to stay on my own side of the street.

Grateful (selfishly) that my son was still here, working on a college assignment, when I woke up this morning. Was able to buy him breakfast and visit awhile before he went home to crash.
Grateful for all the pics that Free posted of her Alaska trip on our class (August 2021) thread. Stop by, grab a cup of coffee, and have a look. She won't mind me inviting you.
Grateful for the contentment that another day of sobriety brings. Grateful for all of you.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:31 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Alpine, the fire pit sounds lovely. We don’t use ours nearly enough. Such a nice pic of the loons
Palmer, so glad your parents got an offer on their house!
Numblady, your situation sounds so complicated. Glad you are surrounding yourself with support and resources and becoming aware of options Love your whole post and want you to know how much you inspire me
Mags, I love that we can laugh at ourselves too. I remember Rusty zip used to talk about rule 62. Miss him!
Grateful I got more sleep last night. I woke up at 2ish but listened to my Calm app (thanks Turps) and slept in until 5:30. I feel better and more rested today. I guess it’s just taking time for my body to reset after that awesome vacation. Alaska has a lot more light in the day and I think it all played with my sleep cycle
Grateful for sober celebrities. I don’t know why but I’m always curious about celebs who play drunks and what their like in their real life. So I was reading about Kristen Bell who plays an alcoholic on the Woman In the house across the street ..... She is married to Dax Shepard who is recovered and they do not drink and talk about parenting drinking culture. which I definitely understand.
Grateful for energy!
Grateful for coffee
Grateful to start on a yard diy project today. Working on restoring retaining wall wood
Grateful to be going to lunch with friend then a walk after
Grateful for all of you and this very special place
Old 07-17-2022, 09:12 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. Today is my 19 months. I am not doing well though. For some reason my PAWS symptoms are acting up. The usual boatiness, with some anxiety, numbness and tingling in my feet and the dreaded health anxiety. Grati whine here for sure.

Grateful for Sunday.
Grateful for 19 months of sobriety.
Grateful for AC.
Grateful I swam 1100 yards yesterday. Not much compared to my training days back in HS but not bad for a 60 year old I guess.
Grateful for SR and all of you.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:48 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Tursiops - that looks so lovely.- calm waters.
Fearless - Some cough meds make me restless too - not sure which ingredient causes it.
Palmer - It's a scary realization - that we weren't really safe when we insisted we were. (In my case, I drove when I shouldn't have. )
Alp - I loved seeing the Loons when we were in the Adirondacks - we need to go back. Their beautiful, haunting call. I love the picture.
CBS - Congrats on your 19 mos. I hope your symptoms disappear.
Grateful for the predicted rain - we're in a drought.
Grateful to see both a woodchuck & chipmunks in the yard today. They've been hiding out due to the dryness & warmth.
Grateful for all the wonderful pictures from the James Webb telescope.
Grateful for flea markets.
Grateful it's not a Sunday from the past - dreading Monday & feeling so ill.
Grateful we're determined to find the good in our lives, despite many of us having hurdles to get over.

Old 07-17-2022, 10:11 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

CBS, congratulations on 19 months! I'm sorry about your symptoms ... I wonder if it could be an inner ear problem? I had boatiness all last year, which resolved spontaneously a few months ago. I hope yours clears up soon.
NL - it sounds to me like you're steering a wise course with the custody issues. I'm glad you have your team (therapist and legal) to help weigh the issues.
Fearless, glad the calm app helped a little ... so frustrating when sleep won't come! I imagine that the Alaska sun would wreak havoc with our biorhythms. Hope it continues to resolve.
PS - glad your parents' house got an offer! You're taking such good care of them.
Alpine - I love the Loon pic! Such a beautiful bird.

I'm grateful that I had a good (and short) visit with my sister-in-law. 5 hours' driving for 2 hours' visiting -- long day. I am grateful to be able to help her a bit, and also grateful to remember my boundaries, and that it's her life to live. I used to try to fix everything with her, but now I realize it's impossible and not my job. She makes her choices ... lets an emotionally abusive grifter live with her, spends her money buying/hoarding stuff from thrift stores ("to sell", but never sells anything).. then doesn't have money to fix her teeth (has no lower dentures) etc. But she wants to run her own life, so there it is. The best I can do is manage paperwork/administrative stuff so her funds continue to flow to her and she has a roof over her head (I have power of attorney etc). Boy, that was a grati-whine.

Grateful I got a new sewing machine after old one conked out, so I can keep sewing teddy bears.
Grateful to be hanging with grandbaby this afternoon.
Grateful to have a lot of good plans on the calendar for the week.
Grateful for SR & this GP.