Notices

Bedtime Gratitude ~ Part 91

Old 03-15-2021, 10:25 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Happy early birthday, Aly! Sounds like you got a lot done. I hope your back is ok
Daisy, so glad you are there for your friend Mandy
Least, awfulize is something I do too. I use the term catastrophize which is pretty much the same. I have to stop it!
Grateful Mr F completed our taxes. We will owe because of Mr F’s severance last year, but grateful it’s a small amount.
Grateful for a good therapy appt
Grateful for a productive work day
Grateful to start watching a new series, Haters Back Off. So quirky and funny
Grateful for each of you
Old 03-16-2021, 06:26 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Aly, no doubt about the effects that barometric pressure has on us. I'm very sorry for you and anyone else that has to deal with migraines. It affects me in the lower extremities, left knee and right ankle so I limp through most of my life!

Grateful for daily routines. Sometimes it just feels good to be settled into a rhythm in life.
Grateful that my wife has a couple days off work to just relax.
Grateful that I'm feeling a bit more positive about the evening and overnight shifts ahead of me this week.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:26 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

You all are so sweet and kind. Astro, thank you for thinking of me. I was wondering if weather changes bothered you too. I've had two ACL reconstructions on my right knee, with meniscus, etc. Horse accidents. After 20 years, it's starting to bother me too. I read that migraines are the 12th most debilitating disease and can cause strokes, but it seems like so many researchers and doctors just don't take them very seriously. I feel like lobbying Congress and the Senate! If I were younger and thought of it, I just might have done it.
Thank you Fearless for my early bday wishes. As I get older, and I have so much going on this week, I'm trying to not pay too much attention. I wonder if anyone in my family, besides my mom, will notice.
I have another set of paperwork I have to get to someone else before the 22nd. I'll have to do it and drop it off. I, like you, BKA, I hate doing my own financial paperwork. I used to be a Controller for attorneys for a long time, I got all their taxes ready, always doing paperwork regarding numbers. I don't mind doing it for a company, but I get so anxiety ridden when I do it for myself. I won't even do my own taxes, even when they're easy. It stresses me out too much.
Love you all. You are all in my heart and prayers. Have a wonderful rest of the day and evening.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:31 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Grateful for the sound of silence, I'm the only one up in the house at the minute, I did go to bed, couldn't sleep so got up again.
Grateful to have done the right thing today.
Grateful to have managed to do a little work in the garden.
Grateful to have sorted out the bottom of my wardrobe, it was a right mess.
Grateful Mr D got the results of yesterdays blood tests back so quickly, he has folate, Vit B12 deficiency, apparently it's another after affect of Covid, no wonder he's been suffering with fatigue.
Grateful for Fearless's kind words.

Aly, Astro I suffer from Ocular migraines, lots of lovely kaleidoscope patterns flashing in front of me, no pain, but I feel nauseous when I have them and they leave me drained.

I'm sorry you have that awful paperwork to do Aly, I wish you all the best with it.

Grateful to be here with you all. xx
Old 03-16-2021, 06:42 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

DB, ocular migraines must be what I get sometimes too. No headache, but the sparkly circle that grows and obstructs my vision.

Tonight I'm grateful for a nice long nap with Billie today. I feel so at peace when we snuggle together.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:06 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Whew I've missed several days! I'm preparing to teach a graduate class this spring for the first time and it's been mentally exhausting. I swear my brain has stopped working - I can't retain anything. Maybe it's because I've been funemployed for six months or .... Could it be sobriety? Anyone else experience brain fog or trouble focusing in early sobriety? Maybe I'm just not motivated to get done so I can get to happy hour anymore and it's making me slow! Anyhow, I'm grateful to finally make some headway today.

Grateful for a delicious salad with fresh mint and dill in it. Love fresh herbs.

Grateful to be heading to Denver this weekend to see my nieces and nephew. Hopefully the snow will be gone.

Grateful for near beer. I never was a big beer drinker so I don't find it triggering but on a warm day I enjoy the feeling of one.

Have a good night, all!
Old 03-16-2021, 08:05 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

AT, yes, brain fog is common in early sobriety. It gets better with continued sobriety tho.

I once took a class on intro to human physiology at a local community college. The class was being taught by a grad student who was doing her thesis on something complicated having to do with the functioning of cells. Way over my head!

Anyway, I didn't think she was a very good teacher and went to a lady I knew at the school who had a position in admin. I made my complaint that the grad student couldn't teach. Jane said to me in response, "yes, but can you learn?" That humbled me and made me determined to get a good grade in a course I found fascinating. I went on to ace the class. I've never forgotten Jane's lesson - it's not so much if they can teach, it's more whether I can learn.

What class are you teaching, if I may ask? Both my parents were teachers, dad, a college English prof and mom a grade school teacher in a country school. I have a soft spot in my heart for teachers.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:21 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Those of you that suffer from migraines, I applaud you for your courage and strength and I'm sorry for the pain that must cause you, honestly I don't know how I'd cope with that.

AT- Absolutely yes on the brain fog. For the first few months of sobriety I swear I felt like I was drooling on my keyboard at work and it took every bit of effort I had to focus on any tasks I had to do. Thankfully, it does improve and I feel like we return to life better than we ever were.

Least, I love this... "yes, but can you learn?" Today I think I'll just be grateful that I remain teachable and sometimes I can learn.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:11 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Grateful to login and realize I fell asleep with my iPad on my belly before posting last night lol. We have been watching Frontier after sonny boy goes to bed and staying up later. Really enjoying the series. A bit Game of Thronesy like though nothing can quite compare to that one.
Grateful MR DB is sorting out the medical stuff. Wow, so many lingering effects from Covid we are seeing
So sorry for all of you with migraines or any sort of headache. I must confess the only type of headache I have ever experienced is the hangover type. Thank goodness that is behind me
Aly, glad you are getting your paperwork sorted out
AT, how beautiful to be teaching a gratitude class. Yes, as Astro says, brain fog is normal. It took me a couple months to start to feel normal but much longer to truly function at my best. Be patient with yourself 😊 My therapist always reminds me to love myself ❤️
Least, really great story
Grateful to be in a consistent routine with work and life
Grateful to not react when I received another letter from collection agency regarding my dad’s mortgage. I can tell that this will be going on for years to come even though my dad is long gone. The probate and real estate attorney I talked to early on told me I have no further part in this. I’ve sent off the death certificates, now multiple times. Filed Dad’s final tax return. Asked for mail to be re-directed to Dad’s ex who was joint owner on the deed. Not really sure what else I can or should do. I’m considering just shredding any future mail I get without opening it. Yes, this is what I am going to do 😊
Grateful my Dad would be proud of how I am getting along
Grateful to have time to run an errand this morning before my work meeting
Grateful it’s bedtime somewhere 😊
Old 03-17-2021, 07:04 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Grateful that sonny boy’s Spring break is coming up in two weeks.
Super grateful to just find out school is going back to 3/4 days for four hours a day starting after Spring break. I think this is the most excitement I’ve had in a year! It won’t be until next school year that kids will be fully back to normal here. But this change coming up is really awesome
Grateful to have a good work meeting with a good team.
Grateful to get some errands done
Grateful to make homemade dark chocolate almond bars with Himalayan sea salt
Grateful for new running shoes
Grateful after a battle, son is consistently wearing his eye patch again. He’s got six more months and really hope that’s all and we will see where his vision stands. He may not need glasses after this. Considering his left eye was legally blind from birth, this would be huge.
Grateful we are going to watch Ironman tonight
Old 03-17-2021, 07:06 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's been many years since I took that class but I'll never forget the lesson in humility I learned that one day I went off half cocked and thinking I knew it all...

Intro to Human Physiology was the most interesting class. When we were learning about the delicate wonderful functions of the kidneys, it just astounded me how our bodies work (or are supposed to work). Our grad student/teacher complimented me when the class was over for having aced it. I don't remember if it was an A or an A+. I know I loved it and still remember some of it to this day.

Today I am so grateful for warm sunny weather so Billie and I could take many walks. Almost 4 miles total. I had to go to the bank and the store, and was feeling lazy and didn't want to walk all that way. But I made myself do it and Billie and I both enjoyed ourselves. I tie Billie to the bench outside the store (she's allowed in my bank) and when I came out, two people were standing there sweet talking her. Billie makes friends so easily.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:20 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hi all. I'm liking the memories of classes you all are sharing.

Today was a bit of a down day as I had a bit of a reaction to yesterday's vaccine. It makes me think that my body is checking out the spike proteins and making a defense that will protect me from covid and for that I am grateful.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:40 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Least I love that thought - can I learn? That's a good one, thank you for sharing! I'm teaching a class for social work grad students integrating what they learn in their internship with policy, research, ethics, etc.
Thank you all for letting me know that some brain fog is normal. I sure hope it lifts before I start my VA job or it's going to be a struggle.
Grateful to take a good nap today and still cross things off the to-do list. Grateful for my big dog Barney who's been more snuggly lately. Grateful for cookies. Good night all.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:17 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

AT, that sounds like it'll be an interesting class. Teaching is a hard job but someone's got to do it.

The best 'cure' for brain fog is time. The longer you're sober, the less you'll notice it. I remember things seeming to be the same, then all of a sudden I realized I felt better, more normal, more aware.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:00 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

BKA- Praying that your body gets back to normal and is a shield against viruses!

AT - I had a similar experience to least with the brain fog. I remember one day in particular, I was around 5 months sober, sitting outside at a cafe, soaking up the warm sun, and I had this feeling of "normal". Suddenly I felt whole again and the fog had lifted, it felt wonderful.

Grateful to hear about your experiences, and to think back on mine, I'm grateful too that you all help me to continue staying sober.
Grateful to walk around at an auto auction and check out cars that bring back so many memories.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:30 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Tonight I'm grateful for my brother - bless his heart - taking me to the store to get my free cat food. I had enough 'points' on my store card to get $10 off my bill, so the big bag of cat food was free. Grateful for free stuff and for my loving brother.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:40 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Today has been hard. I'm traveling to Denver tomorrow and feeling anxious about it. I'm not sure why. I guess that makes me grateful for me routine. Grateful that I feel safe and comfortable on a daily basis. Grateful for my dogs and cat who help me not to feel so lonely in lockdown. Begrudgingly grateful to feel my anxious feelings rather than drink. Grateful for all of you. Good night.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:06 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

AT, come on down to Whiners and vent a little.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:41 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Bekind, I hope you feel better now
AT, I’m sorry you are feeling anxious. You are right, it’s better to let yourself feel all of your feelings and know they will pass than drink through it. I’ll be thinking about you. Least mentioned the whiners forum too. It is another great place to connect in addition to here. I would love to get there more often. I’ve just been so busy lately.
Grateful to have a good work meeting today.
Grateful to be asked to do a webinar for a group next month. I’m nervous again. But that’s normal and I know I just need to prepare.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:42 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good evening to all practitioners of bedtime gratitude. Today was much better which makes being thankful much easier.

Tonight I'm grateful
- I feel so much better
-the accountant received the tax documents so I don't have to scan and email them
-for getting a bit of exercise in
-for my old Dad sitting on the patio enjoying listening to the snow melt

Autumn I hope your trip goes well. Keep doing some deep slow breaths.

Onward into whatever life brings us.