Notices

Bedtime Gratitude ~ Part 91

Old 03-06-2021, 04:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Grateful the day is winding down and grateful I feel peaceful even though my mother is behaving like a monster this afternoon. I'm using my tools to let it be her problem and not mine. I'm learning to not allow another person to dictate the kind of day I'm going to have.
Grateful for Rule 62! It's a great one. Grateful Rusty introduced it to me and a lot of other people. Not taking oneself too seriously can make life a lot easier sometimes!
Grateful for all of my wonderful friends on BT Grat. Very thankful for you all.
Have a wonderful evening. Love and peace to all.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

I had a bit of a different day. I left my Dad with my brother and met with my college roommate downtown. I feel pretty rusty at moving around amongst people in the city. It did make the day go fast with no problem of depression as I was too distracted.

Tonight I'm grateful for
-seeing young people having a good time
-feeling like part of a community of friends and family

I'm pretty pooped from just having a different day.

Sleep well all.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Grateful for the love that fills my heart when I look at Billie and Lily and Franny. They enrich my life and make me feel so peaceful and contented. They make my home an oasis of peace in a troubled world.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Grateful for a nice road trip in spite of too much fast food, I'm gonna pay for that
Grateful we made it to Jerome to do a little exploring and walking.
Grateful for yummy fudge and dark chocolate covered hoenycomb.
OK I better start exercising, I got lbs to work off
Old 03-07-2021, 03:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Astro, Isn't Jerome where Jennie Jerome, Winston Churchill's mother came from? She was an heiress to a mining fortune and Churchill's father had syphilis of the brain and from I've read was a pretty rotten person. I always wonder what Jerome was like. A little history, which I love. So Winston was half American.
Grateful I had a really nice visit with my sister yesterday. Things are a little tense between my mother and I again. Grateful I seem to be handling it w/out blowing up. She is different after her stroke, but she has such a cruel streak. When my sister is over, visiting me, she gets very jealous and mean. She thinks she's our sorority sister, not my mother and I won't tolerate it. Maybe her brain damage from her stroke has caused her to be somewhat psychotic or something. Grateful for the Sickman prayer and the Serenity prayer.
I really need to get back to my animal volunteering if I can find a place open who will take me in the midst of the pandemic. I get so much out of volunteering with either animals or children, I used to volunteer at a crisis nursery for children 5 and under. I loved that too. So I'll probably have to get another TB test, if I can get in anywhere. I feel so much better being around people of the same mind and doing physical work with the animals. I have to remember my back brace though. I am certainly not getting any younger, but I do stretch a lot. I have to.
I hope you are all well. Wishing you all love and peace and a good night's sleep.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Grateful to be sober tonight and every other night.
Grateful too that like Least, I don't even want to drink.
Grateful that in 9 hours g.son will be back in school, not that I'm counting down of course.
Grateful that his uniform is all ready and his shoes are polished, water bottle is in the fridge.
Grateful for a good cup of tea.
Grateful I am well.
Grateful for the serenity prayer.
Grateful for all your kind words re my bestie, Mandy, she didn't have her op for the gall stones, she needs more antibiotics, maybe tomorrow. We've been texting back and to and she seems in good spirits, though she is very good at putting on a front.
Grateful for Bekind's wise words.
Grateful for Fearless's kindness and for explaining Rusty's rule 62.
Grateful for the link that Least posted, thanks Least.
Grateful for a relaxing bath.
Grateful to be going to bed in a moment and more so because I put fresh bedding on today.
Grateful for all of you. xx
Old 03-07-2021, 05:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Grateful for a nice nap with Billie today. Grateful for her love.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Daisy, glad your g.son goes back to school tomorrow. Awesome! Prayers for your friend
Bekind, glad you were able to get out for a new adventure
((((Aly)))). You have a lot going on with your mom. Strokes can definitely cause behavior changes. I am so glad you are using your sober tools to stay strong. I only wish I had been here last night to read what you wrote. I was too tired. But I could have used your words today as far as letting my son’s problems be his and not mine, and not letting him dictate the kind of day I’m going to have or let him define me as a parent or a person. We had a good few day stretch but this morning was hard. I have to pick my battles. There are certain non-negotiables and if he’s not going to cooperate, there are consequences. Like no technology or canceling a play date. He doesn’t accept consequences easily. I guess none of them do. But he’s different and more challenging than most kids. It’s hard. Sorry, I guess I should have posted this on whiners
Grateful that at least sonny boy has moved on and let me hug him later
Grateful for self kindness and to not judge myself. Rule 62 for sure!
Grateful my sourdough bread turned out yummy. I made rolls this time too and they are even better with the crust all around and the soft center
Grateful for a nice hike with a friend and her daughter and a lunch later downtown. Grateful she offered to treat me. What a nice surprise.
Grateful for a beautiful day
Grateful to get the house work done
Grateful to help work on a massive lego project with Mr F and sonny boy
Grateful for all of you. Not sure where I’d be without you ❤️
Old 03-07-2021, 06:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Fearless
I am so glad you are setting boundaries with your son. It is worth the effort, which sounds enormous. I know even when I had young colts who would really act up sometimes and there were consequences for bad behavior. Sometimes it took a few times to get it through, I would always say to them, "it's not easy growing up and learning manners". It probably made me feel better. I feel your pain. After volunteering at the Bay Area Crisis Nursery with young children, sometimes my animal training really came in handy!! Sometimes people and animals aren't so differently motivated as one may think. You are such a great mom, stick to your gut. Love and prayers. I have total confidence you will do the right thing.
Grateful for a pretty easy day, in some ways.
Grateful I can kick back and watch TV for a while or read. I don't want to fall asleep early. Every time I do that, I'm up at 1 or 2 am for too long!
Grateful for all of you. Prayers for Mandy, Daisy's bestie. Gosh, I've had the gallbladder thing too and I know it hurts. I hope she is not in any pain. Praying for her ALS too. I am such an advocate for ALS when I found out it was the least funded disease in research. We have to change that. The disease is so cruel. Please remember ALS.
Love and peace to all. Pleasant Dreams.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

(((Fearless))) It's hard enough to be a parent without the additional challenges you face. Don't lose heart. Stick to your guns. You're doing the right things and it's just hard sometimes.

Aly, I'm sorry your mom is being a PITA. Strokes can alter a person's personality. I know mom was 'different' some days, more argumentative and irritable. When she was in the hospital for the stroke that killed her, they did an MRI and found evidence of many small strokes.

I'm sending up prayers for peace of mind for my friends here.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
Astro, Isn't Jerome where Jennie Jerome, Winston Churchill's mother came from? She was an heiress to a mining fortune and Churchill's father had syphilis of the brain and from I've read was a pretty rotten person. I always wonder what Jerome was like. A little history, which I love. So Winston was half American.
Hmm, very interesting, and there may be some connection but Jerome was named after Eugene Jerome, he was a secretary for the mine there. I visit Jerome every few years, it's a small town but the old buildings and mining structures are fascinating. It gets packed with tourists almost every day, but by sundown the town is empty. I'm always happy to see new businesses and restaurants opened there, it continues to thrive, and by what I understand the town had a recent influx of residents this year after the wildfires in CA. Hopefully it will never be a true "ghost town".

I'm sorry and praying for those of you that are dealing with family difficulties. Sometimes I feel like most of us as alcoholics do stem from some sort of dysfunction. I am often struck with gratitude though at the chance we have been given in recovery, the grace we are shown, to walk and work through these challenges without using a substance to medicate. Isn't that a miracle?

Thank you for being here today and every day, I'm grateful to each one of you.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:26 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Grateful for a warm sunny day to walk Billie.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Fearless and Least, thank you for sharing info on rule 62. I love it! Lighten up, self! And fearless I totally nodded my head when you wrote that sonny boy doesn't take consequences well - neither do I! Especially if I think I was in the right!

Aly I was thinking about your mom and a weird thought came into my head... What if you named her bad mood personality? Like "oh here comes Becky that bitchy sorority sister". It reminds you that her meanness is (at least partially) medical and beyond her control. Sometimes people will give their brain tumors names so when they aren't acting like themselves, they can call attention to it with this other name. I don't know if that makes sense. Just a thought I had.

And DB, my heart is with you and Mandy. ALS sucks - no way to pretty it up. Be gentle with yourself as you support her... I'm sure you're both grieving.

I'm sorry there were more things I wanted to respond to but I can't remember and I'm ready for bed. I love you all and thank you for sharing your posts. Today I'm grateful for a run in the sunshine, for a conversation with my neighbor, for lots of puppy love and for avocados. Good night, all!
Old 03-08-2021, 09:13 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

(((AT))) We love you coming to Grats. We're a growing family here and we love our family members.

Tonight I'm grateful that having internet has made it possible for me to make friends all over the world. It really helps me to get thru the pandemic with my sanity intact. (mostly)
Old 03-08-2021, 09:15 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

AT, thank you so much for your suggestion. I think it is a great idea! I kind of doing something similar, like, mom's having an episode or something. Giving it a name I would think would help me take it less personally. It's her stuff, not mine and I can walk away.
Daisy, sending prayers for you and Mandy. Mandy sure has a tough nut to crack. I hope her surgery goes well and she recovers quickly. Sending good vibes for the ALS too.
Astro, I looked up Eugene Jerome and he was Jennie Jerome's uncle or some type of family member. They were a wealthy, and Jennie, in particular, was very good at using her talents at getting important men to help Winston's career. I read most of The Last Lion about Churchill. Very good and interesting, but kind of a dry history book packed with all kinds of interesting stories about Churchill's early life and later on too. I wasn't able to completely finish it.
Love and peace to all. Pleasant Dreams, friends. Have a wonderful evening.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:41 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Well darn. I just lost my whole post. Connection issues.
love you all and goodnight 😴💤🌙😘
Old 03-08-2021, 09:45 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Love that idea, AT. I know it was meant for Aly,but I think I’ll use it to. I’ll have to think up some names for sonny boy’s moods 😜
Old 03-08-2021, 09:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hello Grats. I'm ending up another Monday

Tonight I'm grateful
-to see the number of vaccines given creep up everyday
- for finding my favorite brain candy, Georgette Heyer books, on line
-for banter with my old Dad

May Tuesday go well for everyone.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm grateful for Aly's history lesson about Jenni Jerome, that's really fascinating and cool that you shared it with me. Now I know more about Jerome!

Grateful that I was able to finish a job and get a leak to stop after 3.5 hours of fighting with it. Uggghhhh!!
Grateful that I could forget about that Murphy's Law afternoon and get a decent night of sleep.
Grateful my wife took care of cooking dinner last night, the spaghetti was just what my tummy needed.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:49 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Grateful for a quiet day. I had to get up early and picked up my mom at the car place while the dealer did her first car service for free. I REALLY need to get my car over to be serviced too. Still procrastinating my medical paperwork. I think the outcome I want/need won't happen, so I think my subconscious just doesn't even want to look at them. I've filled them out before and they aren't much fun. Plus my fatigue has been a bit worse lately and I honestly don't have the energy to add too much more to what I already have on my plate, so I'm grateful that I understand why I'm resentful of the paperwork, but it won't help my cause. Grateful that I realize I have to get over it and just do it!
Daisy, hoping you are doing well and sending prayers for Mandy. Fearless, thinking of you.
Grateful for everyone here. Grateful for the easy friendships here. Thank you all for being here. My sobriety would probably not be without you all.
Love and peace. Sleep well all.