Notices

So Many Things To Be Grateful For...

Old 09-16-2020, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile So Many Things To Be Grateful For...

Good Morning,

It's been about 3 years since I posted here! Holy Moly!
Why am I here today? 1. To express my sincere thanks to this forum 2. To let those who are struggling with alcohol addition know that you can do it! You can break the habit, the physical and mental addiction to alcohol. Yes it's downright difficult. It may even appear to you as impossible. But it's not! Remember, anything worth having in life is difficult. Think of each step towards your freedom from alcohol as a mile marker along the long road. Yes, the road is long but you take it one mile marker at a time. Celebrate those successes! If you happen to stray off course, learn from it, don't make the same mistake again, and get back on the road.

I am so grateful I had this site to post my thoughts during my journey to being free from alcohol.
I am also so grateful to the people on this forum who continue to share their experiences and wisdom and provided me the much needed support along the way.
I am thankful that instead of being "high" on alcohol, I am "high" on life.
I am thankful that I have new energy, more time, and more money to do the things that are most important to me in life.
I am thankful that ALL of my friends no longer ask me "why am I not drinking" but now accept the fact that I am a non-drinker.
I am grateful that I have set a strong example for my adult children that they too, can be free from alcohol and still enjoy life.
I am so thankful that I can get behind the wheel of an automobile at any time, day or night, knowing I have not had anything that may impair my driving.
I am grateful for my wife not asking me if I'd like a drink - NEVER has she. Nor has she asked me if I will ever drink again.
I am thankful for how clearly my mind operates and how I can remember events and names.
I am so grateful that where ever I go, whom ever I'm with, and under any and all circumstances, there is absolutely no urge for me to have a drink.

I haven't had an alcoholic beverage since September 2, 2016. Yep, it was difficult, very challenging. Do you know what made it more challenging?
My wife. She told me from the start that she wasn't going to stop drinking. However, she wholeheartedly supported and still supports my decision not to participate.
And you know what? I continue to live like I did when drinking. I still visit the same restaurants, bars, and social events with my wife.
It's more satisfying to me because I am the "built in" designated driver. I've even rented a 12 passenger van and picked up friends to bring to beer festivals.
They are so grateful when at the end of the night, I drop each person at their doorstep.

Best of luck to you all!