SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   The Gratitude List (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/gratitude-list/)
-   -   Gratitude Determines Attitude & Attitude Determines Altitude (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/gratitude-list/441550-gratitude-determines-attitude-attitude-determines-altitude.html)

cmart63 08-30-2019 12:16 PM

Gratitude Determines Attitude & Attitude Determines Altitude

Hi folks -
When I first heard this, I had to stop (and somehow) think about what this meant to 'me'. After thinking about this over the years since then, I have come to the conclusion that, if I am truly expressing gratitude and/or feeling grateful, I am unable to feel resentful, shameful, guilty, etc. Simply put, at least for me, gratitude is one of the most powerful gifts I have access to if I choose to do so or be so. Edit: BTW, I am grateful to have re-discovered this site and the ability to read the positive posts and helpful information.

cmart63 09-03-2019 07:00 PM

Thank You!

I am thankful to those who responded to this thread.

Today, I am simply grateful to have moments in time that I can feel gratitude -and all else (resentments, etc) step aside.

PhoenixJ 09-04-2019 03:35 PM

Gratitude is a profound word.
For me it does not mean that Disney 'live happily ever after' gratitude after our hero (m or f) goes through some titanic struggle, then everything finishes just fine.
Gratitude is for being alive, for every breath I have, for every 'now' encounter I have- even on not-so-good days, I am always grateful.
After being alive- gratitude is to being sober.

cmart63 09-04-2019 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ (Post 7261816)
For me, it does not mean that Disney 'live happily ever after' gratitude after our hero (m or f) goes through some titanic struggle, then everything finishes just fine.
Gratitude is for being alive, for every breath I have, for every 'now' encounter I have- even on not-so-good days, I am always grateful.
After being alive- gratitude is to be sober.

Hi PhoenixJ -thanks for your comment. I agree Gratitude is a profound word. For me, Gratitude is a way of life, not an end result---and I think that is what you are expressing? However, I do have those days (sometimes too many days) when I 'forget' to express or even how to 'feel' gratitude.

PhoenixJ 09-05-2019 05:43 PM

Yes- gratitude is about living- connecting- trying to be the best I can- especially when the word gratitude turns sour in the mouth, where I consciously have to show my true quality and do the right, as opposed to the easy thing.

least 09-05-2019 08:12 PM

I like the signature line of Fearlessat50: If you have no other religion, make it gratitude. :) That expresses my thoughts very well. :)

thequest 11-02-2019 06:42 AM

Gratitude is appreciation. I appreciate the opportunity to voluntarily express my gratitude and other opinions. Thank You

CRRHCC 01-04-2020 08:23 PM

Gratitude is a perquisite to happiness.

Have you ever met a genuinely happy person that was not grateful? You never will.

cmart63 02-11-2020 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ (Post 7261816)

Hi PhoenixJ and thank you for your comment. I have inexcusably delinquent in posting on this forum because I did not feel anyone was paying attention....remember "it's all about me". For so many years, I lived under the pretense of gratitude...not the profound 'gratitude' that you speak about. Again, thank you.

cmart63 02-11-2020 04:51 PM

As I pointed out to Pheonix, I have been inexcusably delinquent in posting on this thread or this forum. I really did not understand what 'true' gratitude was or meant until about 12 years. In fact, I give credit to my learning and feeling of gratitude for allowing me to continue living. For me, the real feeling and experience of gratitude had to come the hard way. I have always been thankful for and to people who helped me or showed appreciation for me, but deep down, I thought this was just the normal process. It was only at the point of feeling totally defeated and unworthy that I began to experience gratitude....I mean real gratitude. Having a true sense of being thankful for simply waking up, for going outside and seeing a bird or touching a tree, or still having someone (or a few) people that cared that I was even alive. To each of you, I say thank you -whether or not you like this thread, post, etc. What really matters to me now is if you are able to accept the gift of being able to feel gratitude and allow gratitude to change your life for the better.