Notices

Morning Gratitude ~ Part 91

Old 08-25-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

RZ, glad for every day you are ok.
Mags, so flattered to be mistaken for a UK’er. Have a healthy dose of the Ugly American guilt complex so any time I am confused with or blend in with (as I tried to do when I lived in Germany) the Europeans, I am satisfied.
Fearless your post was so moving to me—not just the compassion for your son and your genuine praise for your husband and how you support each other, but also just how much the rage and the meltdowns resonate as a reason for drinking. It’s hard to describe but for me a lot of the drinking was around trying not to lose my s&&& when my kids (or my husband when he got kicked up as a result or just because he was in an unkind mood) were spiraling out of control and I’d have to swallow every human emotion I wanted to express in the moment. Drinking somewhat enabled me to float through with more of a muted brain, in every sense of the term. I’m glad you got through and for all the beautiful lessons you were able to bring to bear on the situation. May I continue to be more like that!

Grateful for a good date with Mr. NL last night. He drank in the afternoon so I was worried but he managed to stick to one cocktail and one (giant) glass of wine with dinner. Objectively still a lot but relatively speaking it was good and instead of getting drunk and loud he just got sleepy and wanted to go home early (my kind of date !). And I’m being serious. I really do love going home early.
Grateful for rain. Like real actual rain with some at least modest accumulation.
Grateful that that bougainvillea I said was growing but not thriving is actually starting to bloom. Right here in TX! I saw it happen in other peoples’ yards but always believed on some level they were just superiors gardeners with superior yards and just better people overall
Grateful for a kind waiter last night who helped talked to me about how their fish are caught and purchased. Made me kind of sad to hear him say there are probably lots of fish we eat today his daughter probably won’t get to have. But I still appreciated that he was wiling to talk it through with me.
Grateful I was able to help my daughter at 4 a.m. when her leg hurt but still get back to sleep. Grateful that even though I was very disoriented and it was hard to think straight it was because I’d been very asleep and not because I’d gotten very drunk as would have been the case in times past.
Grateful to see an old friend return to the boards.
Grateful for an amazing high schooler who babysits for a very reasonable rate and is so kind and intelligent it actually gives me some hope for the future.
Grateful for all of you and the kindness you all show here and out in the world.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Grateful that the headache I woke up with wasn't due to a hangover.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:33 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
p***enger

Grateful for an affectionate touch
Old 08-25-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Grateful that I start my day coming here and read the grat posts instead of going to the news like I used to. Although I do love the Sunday morning show. That’s not like a news show to me. There was an uplifting story about a little boy with brain cancer who couldn’t go outside, so all the family and neighbors joined together and came to entertain and uplift him outside his window
Mags, glad you got through the asthma attack. Whew!
Hev, hope the busyness is the fun kind
Rose, sounds like you’ve had a lot of occasions to potentially trigger you lately. Good for you for getting through them, and I bet your confidence is growing . Btw, I wish I were a UK’r too, or an Aussie, or Canadian. Anywhere but here, really. I have some of that American guilt NL referred to. I grew up for a while on a street called Yorkshire. Does that count? Lol
Rz, glad you got to have din with family
NL, really relate to the experience of how drinking escalated during a very stressful parenting period. I also felt very alone. My son tended to act out at home more than in public, or he just “looked normal.” So friends didn’t understand what “problems” I was talking about, or they were judgmental. That was before his diagnosis. I’m glad I stopped drinking when I did. I anticipate the teen years may be harder. We shall see. The time now gives me a chance to build up my coping skills.

Grateful that I’m tired because of sporadic sleep, not from a hangover. Grateful will get to take a nap later
Grateful the day is off to a good start. Husband and sonny boy are playing breath of the wild and figuring out some complex problems together
Grateful though husband has had a beer here and there, he hasn’t gotten drunk in the last two weeks. Grateful he told me my quitting drinking has impressed and inspired him, though he doesn’t plan to go teetotal
Grateful that because son broke part of his door yesterday, husband is going to teach him how to repair it so at least he will learn some responsibility and handyman skills too
Grateful to have time to paint some more rocks today and also spend time viewing some of my favorite art blogs.
Grateful for each of you and our genuine friendship
Old 08-25-2019, 09:55 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

That sounds lovely, Courage 😊
Old 08-25-2019, 09:59 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Numblady - I'm glad you might get some rain soon - my niece, near Dallas, will be at 103 tomorrow. She grew up near Wash. DC & has trouble tolerating the extreme heat.
Grateful for your kindness too, Numb.
Grateful for all the comments here - happy we can 'be ourselves'.
Grateful for bright sun & cool temps.
Grateful that the weight loss continues. Dr warned me, 'Don't forget, you will lose muscle - you need to exercise.' hmm - maybe rethink the diet? Stay chubby?
Grateful to finally get rid of cumbersome old furniture - bought long ago - that made me depressed.
Also, books I will never read again have been donated. Why do we hold on to this stuff?
Grateful every day that I accidentally found SR. It's such a big part of my life now.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:34 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Grateful that the coffee made the headache go away. Grateful for a productive walk with Billie. Grateful to share your grats.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Grateful Rusty had a nice dinner. Grateful for Rusty who is in my thoughts.
Grateful for Hevyn's posts.
Grateful I've gotten the vacuuming out of the way! I have a few more things to do. Tomorrow I have to do laundry super early and then a follow up with my epidural ortho guy. He's pretty nice and is good too.
Grateful for all of you here in the morning! Helps me get off to a good day. Have a good day everyone! ♥♥♥
Old 08-25-2019, 10:50 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
Magsie

Aly, all the best love for your follow up appointment, will be thinking of you.

Grateful to be able to share and be myself here.
Grateful for another sober day
Grateful for all of you.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:09 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Grateful for all your posts. They make such interesting reads.

Numblady - I don't know if it's because I have a little granddaughter and it does really seem like she is growing up in a more complex and tougher world than I did but I also feel real optimism and hope when I meet kind and intelligent teenagers/young people.

Good point, Fearless. The more triggers I manage the more I believe I can do this (even though though I'm still nervous about the potential for it all to fall over). That's happened to a couple of people in my SR class recently, both of whom were well on the way and one of whom was on treble digits. I'm taking that as a message not to get complacent in any way.

Hevyn - I'm absolutely sure that now I'm at a more or less OK weight the words muscle tone have no place in my life, if they ever did! I keep on thinking it wouldn't be that hard to do a bit of light weight lifting but I never act on that thought. I need to have a stern word with myself again.

Rusty - so glad you've had a couple of OK days. Hope they start a long running trend.

Aly - good luck with the appointment.

least - very good to share your grats too.

Thankful that yesterday was so much easier than I thought it was going to be (taking some extended family members shopping, sightseeing etc), despite the intense heat.
Nonetheless, grateful for a day off family events today.
Grateful to have the luxury of deciding how to spend my time today. Some chores to do but I'll get those out of the way early.
Grateful for another day sober. Because of a dream I had, very mindful today of the fact that it wasn't always thus - understatement - and I shouldn't ever underestimate how significant that is for me.

It's a holiday Monday in the U.K. so especially kind of the weather to cooperate! Hope everyone has a good one.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:43 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Rose, I'm in the North West, bang slap in the middle of Manchester and Liverpool.
Once upon a day I'd have done that very same thing with the half glass of champagne too. Classy or what?

Fearless, you and your husband are amazing, patient and loving parents, you did yourself proud not responding to that trigger. My son is my biggest trigger, but in a very different way.

I'll be thinking about you today Aly, I hope your appointment goes well. xx

Grateful to be here this morning hangover and guilt free.
Grateful for a good nights sleep, I only woke up a couple of times but managed to get right back off again.
Grateful to have time to post this morning.
Grateful for the beautiful sunshine we've had the last couple of days.
Grateful my little Lulu cat is curled up at my feet.
Grateful my daughter and her lovely little family are back home safely from their holiday.
Grateful I've not got to rush out and feed her cat this morning, not that I mind doing it, but I'm glad of the rest.
Grateful for a drama free weekend.
Grateful Mr D.B and myself have been very productive out in the garden.
Grateful for this thread and all who post in it.
Grateful to read about Numblady's lovely children, what a delight.
Grateful to see R.Z back posting and grateful he is okay today.
Grateful Numblady had such a good date night.
Grateful for Hevyn's sense of humour and grateful she got rid of that old furniture to a new home.
Grateful Least's headache has gone.
Grateful to post here and to be able to be honest and open, grateful to each and everyone of you for your kind words, empathy and ongoing support.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:35 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Grateful for a good night of sleep.
Grateful to be enjoying making my kids’ lunches for now after spending too much time looking at Pinterest pages of people who are far more creative and I think may have a splash more time. Still, one can try!
Grateful to be able to navigate another late night worry session with my son (note that late night for me is anything after 9 p.m.). He said he was scared he would not end up with a good job and just be a waste of money. I told him I thought it was normal to worry about the future but that I’ve found it helpful to just take things—you guessed it!—one day at a time. I also told him that a good education is helpful but that what matters most in the working world from my perspective is being kind, able to get along with others, and having a genuine desire to help/serve. Not a desire to be right or prove you are the smartest, but to actually help. Similarly to Fearless this idea of being of service comes straight from recovery as does ODAAT.
Grateful to be tapped into a Facebook group of fellow attorney moms. I can ask them dorky questions like whether to sign an over broad release for use of technology at my son’s school. You also get well researched recommendations on all kinds of things. People say a lot of things about lawyers but one thing I’ll say is they are good at research and synthesis of info!
Grateful to be able to send my grandparents what I hope is a nice email. I sent them money; they didn’t want to keep it; I explained how much it meant to me to kind of take them to dinner from afar. They really helped make me who I am and having a family I knew supported me almost unconditionally I think enabled me to get as far as I have. I feel so lucky to come from a family that was pretty much always kind and supportive.
Grateful y’all let me ramble on as I am wont to do. Especially after the coffee kicks in!
Grateful for this sweet, sweet group.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:36 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Grateful for the wisdom to know the difference.

Grateful for another day sober.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:44 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  
p***enger

Grateful for a few minutes in the morning for meditation, prayer, and gratitude.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:04 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

grateful to see two of my sponsee's grab an eight year coin last night
Old 08-26-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Aly - thinking of you.
RZ - you're on my mind too.
Numblady - 'One day at a time'...hey, that's catchy.
Grateful for the beautiful place I live & my caring neighbors.
Grateful for a visit to my new dr. I can actually talk to her about stuff & not feel intimidated.
Grateful to be planning a trip to Maine soon.
Grateful to know I can come back here later & there'll be more grats to read
Old 08-26-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Grateful to have re-found this place.
Grateful to have a place to re-dedicate myself each day.
Grateful that I did not give up and am trying to break this horrid routine.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Hev, glad you were able to clear out some things that made you depressed. No good hanging on to anything like that
Aly, glad you got some housecleaning and laundry done. Good luck today
Rose, agree about not getting complacent. Practicing my sobriety skills every day has been key for me. My uncle had 30 years of sobriety when he died from cancer. He never once stopped practicing. He had an amazing life and was such an inspiration!
Grateful my uncle is still with me in spirit
Grateful to see Sober13 here
Grateful for fbl’s comment- the wisdom to know the difference
Numblady, love what you said to your son, and I may just borrow it because I’m sure I will need it for my own son. Also, glad FB is good for some things . I work with a lot of attorneys in my job. Just like I’ve learned from you, I learn a lot from those I work with in so many different ways
Grateful to have slept really well, and to have had a dream about caring for a beautiful garden. Interesting that just yesterday I had put some new painted rocks in my gratitude garden
Grateful that for the second time I am attempting to go dairy free to see if it makes a difference in how I feel. I read that over 70% of us in middle age have developed dairy intolerance because as we age, our bodies lose the lactase enzyme to break down lactose. So we shall see. Here’s to Day 1 of dairy free!
Grateful to discover Blue Majik powder and for all natural things that enhance health and well being. Plus, the stuff looks pretty in smoothie bowls
Grateful that it’s my first day officially back to work after vacation and I am actually looking forward to it
Grateful for all of you and to be walking this sober journey together in gratitude

Last edited by Fearlessat50; 08-26-2019 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Typo. Ugh
Old 08-26-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Grateful to be sober this morning.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:45 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Grateful for a mellow, relaxing weekend and a nice dinner with a friend last night.

Grateful to get up early and soak in the hot tub and mow the lawn before work. 16 months ago such a morning would have been impossible, and I'd have been rushing to work feeling awful from too much drinking through the weekend.

Grateful those days are gone.

Grateful for 16 months sober today.