Notices

A big thank you to this forum

Old 08-06-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

A big thank you to this forum

I'm not sure where else to post this, as I have been absent for a long time:

Ten years ago, I was just about 3 months sober when I joined this forum. I was in a bad emotional state, vulnerable and had no sense of self or who I was.

I'm sorry to say I haven't been posting much for years now as I had to deal with all kinds of ups and downs.
Finished my masters degree. Got diagnosed with MS in the process, had to compromise and go a completely different career path than I wanted. Going through stressful times at work , but being employed .
Going on with life the best I could , sometimes merrily, sometimes less so, but always without alcohol.

There's far more to be grateful for than to complain about.
MS being stable for the time being.
Having a stable job that pays quite well.
Acquiring my own humble place.
Getting to know some awesome people through work.
Got a dog who is the bestest of buddies.
Still being good friends with someone who knows me since I am 14. Became a godmother to a little girl I love dearly.
Being able to have a good relationship with both of my elderly parents who are in reasonably good health.
Being in a stable long term realtionship for 8 years.
Being sober allowed me to emotionally grow and become resilient.
All these realtionships would not be possible while still drinking.

In an alternate timeline, where I didn't find this forum, I wouldn't have any of these these. It played a huge role in my recovery. It would probably would have continued to try, continued to fail, dropped out of university, continued drinking, sitting around unemployed and depressed, all while still having to deal with MS, probably drinking even more, and down the road possibly not being here any more.

Everytime I posted, it helped me to get through the pain I was dealing with at the moment.
I didn't drink, because this formum always offered a safe place to come to and to reach out.
I didn't drink because of numerous posts that I could relate to and that gave me hope that I could do it.

I am incredibly grateful for this community. Thank you to everyone who listened and gave me kind words and advice.

I have been thinking about this a lot recently and today I just felt compelled to say thank you.

Ps: I'll be around more again, writing this down made me realise that this is a place i want to be part of.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Beautiful, Lionne.

Very inspiring and a testament to your recovery.

Thank you so much for posting!
Old 08-08-2019, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry you have to deal with MS but am so glad you're still sober and doing well otherwise.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear from you Lionne but sorry to hear about the ups and downs and the MS.

It will be great to have you around again
D
Old 08-08-2019, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What a wonderful post. It means so much to know you received help and encouragement here. It's great to know you'll try to post more often.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’m sorry about the MS and life’s ups and downs. So glad you are getting through this sober. Your post is inspiring. You sound amazing!