Notices

My very first Gratitude List

Old 02-27-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post My very first Gratitude List

Hi, my name is Seska and I am adopting the "Gratitude List" as a very important tool in my quest to achieve sustained remission of my active alcoholism.
I have noticed that Opivotal has a morning and an evening gratitude list thread which I think is a great idea - it's impossible to feel resentful and grateful at the same time. And resentment, as you probably already know, along with self pity are the high road back to the bottle shop (they are for me that's for sure!).
A gratitude list is a great way to banish most destructive thinking patterns and to restore or sustain a positive attitude conducive to recovery. It is something I never did in my previous attempts to get sober and is probably key to the mindset that led to my relapses. So here goes, my very first Gratitude List EVER!

I am grateful, truly grateful, for the following things:
>A roof over my head (I know what it is to be homeless)
>A partner with whom I share a house and who is also my best friend (compared to being on the streets and feeling totally alone in the world)
>My 'fur-family' which consists of 2 cockatiels, 2 birds and a HUGE dog (unconditional love - where else can you find THAT?)
>Being Australian (truly a lucky country and I'm lucky to have been born in it because my parents both immigrated here)
>My health (considering how much I've abused my body over the years)
>My Hep C treatment (I am on Sofosbuvir and Daclatasvir antivirals for my Type 3 Hepatitis C which at tens of thousands of dollars for 6 months worth of tablets would have been unaffordable had the Australian Government not had the kindness and foresight to subsidise it)
>The Alcoholics Anonymous fellowship & the 12 Steps (after years of searching AA is the only 'tribe' to which I feel I truly belong - within the fellowship I never get the feeling of being an 'outsider' - and the 12 Steps are the 'handbook to a spiritually satisfying life' I wish I'd found and followed from the beginning.)
>My life (I have often been depressed and disappointed with how I thought my life had 'turned out' but now I see that at 47 I truly have the chance to start over and really LIVE in the moment instead of merely existing and being depressed and sometimes even suicidal about it.)

Well, I think these are the major, overarching things for which I'm grateful. It's been good to remind myself of how lucky I am.

I am looking forward to making Gratitude Lists a daily, life-affirming and addiction-defying habit.

Oh, and I almost forgot: I'm grateful for SoberRecovery.com!
Old 02-27-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Seska - I love your gratitude list. So happy you are enjoying recovery.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Seska!

Thank you for a wonderful "first" gratitude post.

I loved it too!
Old 02-28-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome to the grat pack seska