SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   The Gratitude List (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/gratitude-list/)
-   -   Today I am grateful for...... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/gratitude-list/391456-today-i-am-grateful.html)

AngelaE 05-05-2016 06:11 AM

Unconditional

I am grateful for another clean and sober day!

Opivotal 05-05-2016 06:33 AM

Welcome AngelaE! :)

AngelaE 05-10-2016 05:31 AM

Unconditional

I am grateful for my family's unconditional love!

AngelaE 05-11-2016 12:34 AM

Today I am grateful for.....

My Higher Power

AngelaE 05-12-2016 05:16 AM

142 Days of Sobriety!

I am thankful for waking up without a hangover this morning - and being able to appreciate all the beauty and wonders around me

Opivotal 05-12-2016 05:53 AM

Congratulations Angela! :)

CaseyW 05-12-2016 09:12 AM

That's an awesome number, AngelaE! Would love to hear more about what you've done to stay sober this long.

AngelaE 05-12-2016 09:28 PM

My health

AngelaE 05-12-2016 10:45 PM

Thank you CaseyW.... this is the longest I have been sober in over 15 years! I checked myself into rehab on 21 October 2015 as I just felt I could not carry on any more. I felt like I was at the bottom of this pitch black pit and just could not see any light. The weekend before I checked in I went on a really nasty drinking binge - that was my breaking point.

I was fortunate in that I was able to spend 6 weeks as an inpatient at rehab.....for the first time in my life I finally learnt more about my illness and most importantly I learnt so much about myself.

I left rehab on 2 December 2015 and exactly 2 weeks later I relapsed - much to the disappointment of my kids, family, sponsor and MYSELF. It was almost as if I was trying to challenge myself and prove I could in fact control my drinking and "just have one". I was proven wrong - AGAIN

That was my last - I have kept a journal from the day I entered rehab last year and continue to write in my journal every evening. I check in with my Sponsor every day, I follow the 5 Suggestions and for me that is vital to relapse prevention. I ensure I use all the tools and knowledge I was given and in doing so I have come to like the person I am more and more every day - and think about alcohol less.

I do have triggers - mainly places - I have worn an elastic band on my wrist and the moment I think about alcohol or drinking I snap it very hard (it hurts!) but its a reality check and a reminder of where I don't want to go or be.

I found that focusing on the here and now, being "in the moment" and making it through the next 24 hours instead of worrying about the future has also helped a lot.

"Easy does It"

Opivotal 05-13-2016 05:34 AM

Angela, you can make this your own Gratitude thread if you like.

Just add to it daily. :)

Welcome!

AngelaE 05-15-2016 11:08 PM

My loving and supportive partner

AngelaE 05-17-2016 06:00 AM

being able to look at myself in the mirror and liking the person staring back at me!

AngelaE 05-18-2016 03:37 AM

Today I am grateful for......

150 days of sobriety!

Opivotal 05-18-2016 04:59 AM

Congratulations AngelaE!

Keep up the great work. :)