Notices

Grateful for Husband's Recovery...and Mine, Too

Old 02-06-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grateful for Husband's Recovery...and Mine, Too

We are inching up to the anniversary of the day I discovered my husband's secret drinking. At this time last year, I felt hopeless, miserable and overwhelmed, despite the fact that I was pregnant with our second son. I was blindsided when I found out the Problem was alcoholism, and for awhile I was certain our family would not survive intact.

I could never have imagined the positive changes that have come about since my husband hit bottom, acknowledged his problem and sought help. Through a wonderful addiction counselor, who works with both of us together, along with AA, my husband is over nine months sober. I want to say he is back to being the man I fell in love with, but in truth, he is a better man. He has bucked his family's tendency to avoid talking about his feelings and is letting go of the shame he feels for what he did while drinking. He is thoughtful, considerate and empathetic. He feels a sense of loyalty an obligation to our young sons and me, and says he is so much happier without alcohol in his life.

I have changed for the better, too. I have a greater connection to God and a stronger faith. I'm still solidly Type A, but I am not as concerned with controlling things as I used to be. I make plans when I can but accept that there is much in this life that I can't control. I found that I was strong: strong enough to say I would not tolerate life with an active alcoholic, even if that meant life without my husband. I am a better mom now, too: I value my children and feel an ever fiercer desire to help them develop healthy emotional habits in hopes that they will never have to fight the battle their father is fighting.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm happy to hear life is good for your family, Psalm5110.