Notices

I'm grateful for 4 months of sobriety

Old 06-25-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm grateful for 4 months of sobriety

I just wanted to express my thanks and gratitude to everyone on this site who has helped me get 4 months of sobriety. Last drink was Feb 25th, 2014. Most of my time since has been actual contented sobriety, rather than gritting my teeth until I feel good enough to start drinking again. Four months is the longest stretch I have had in many years, maybe since my first stint in AA 13 years ago.

Unfortunately (maybe for the better) I really got hooked in the intervening years, and probably did some damage (physically and emotionally), mainly binge drinking hard liquor, and washing it down with beer. Recovery has been interesting, with a lot of good things happening and a lot of things to deal with. That is really the reason I drank, so I didn't have to deal with my problems, in addition to just liking being drunk. The memories are fading of the ghastly hangovers, abdominal pain, the shame of lying to my loved ones, and the absolute terror that I was not going to be able to stop.

To those of you that have a gift with words and expressing your thoughts, thank you for sharing your stories and bits of wisdom. And for those who share after their relapses, thanks to you as well for maybe helping head off a slip or worse. Its funny how the smallest things will sometimes click and really help me get through the day.

Have great, sober rest of the week!

Eric
Old 06-27-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations MnEman! Wonderful post.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 months!!