Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > The Gratitude List
Reload this Page >

Checking In to Say Thank You/ A Warning about Social Media Dating and Facebook

Notices

Checking In to Say Thank You/ A Warning about Social Media Dating and Facebook

Old 02-28-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Checking In to Say Thank You/ A Warning about Social Media Dating and Facebook

I am grateful to be safe and happy, this one full year when I said I would be done and free of a terrible relationship with an alcoholic. To this day I think about what happened to me and almost happened to me when I let this man into my life. The best thing about what happened is that it never became public knowledge, I never shared outside of my close circle of friends other than with the people of this forum and I survived. (When I think of the drama I shudder. What if he had killed me and himself as he threatened that Christmas? I wasn't thinking about the risk I was putting myself and my family in by associating with this individual, even after all the warning signs.)

I am thankful this day for blocking him and spying on him on FB and his Plenty of Fish profiles, and reading about psychopaths. I may seem crazy to extend my misery by doing such a thing as checking FB in a no-contact situation but I had so many questions without answers. Mainly, how could I love such a weak and degenerate man? What was wrong with me? I don't know the answers to those questions, and probably never will, but as I watched his story evolve in the postings and evidence I found, the questions I found myself asking were evoked by pity for his new woman I discovered and her circumstances she's described. It was as if she and I were almost the same person in our pain- her's fresh and exposed raw and bleeding on her FB page. Even today. Maybe that is what's prompted me to visit this forum again. This forum is where I laid it out as honestly as I could. But I came here to be healed. I am not sure that she isn't using her FB page to still try to lure that man back to her. Poor woman.

What I want to say to her and to any of you out there and involved with a cheating miserable alcoholic handsome man is...he isn't worth it. No one is worth your pain and self-respect. Honestly, I feel for her and I feel for you, but in the end the relationship isn't worth the price of admission.

If you can do it, and if you're lucky, keep the stuff off your FB. Public therapy is fine if you are Anonymous. But if you're not, and you want to let other people know your business, then you are adding to your own pain and misery. And I cannot stress this enough, so listen. Beware of on-line dating sites. They are very dangerous. Believe that.

I am thankful for this forum and for finding the resources on the internet for all the information I need to live a healthy and a balanced life. If you think you are involved with an alcoholic please read the information on this site and around the internet. You may come to see as I did that you are involved with a con man; he may be someone deliberately misleading you in order to get what he wants. He may just want to use you.

I wish I could help his victims now that my eyes are opened. Thank you for reading this.