Notices

not enough money

Old 02-15-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

not enough money

I am grateful for not really having enough extra money to buy alcohol beverages, which enables recovery. I'm sure I could squeeze out some cash from somewhere, but after a few weeks sober - I really have no need or desire to consume the stuff and waste the money. I have been tempted to buy some, but one motivating factor is the lack of extra money. Grateful.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great! And think of all the money you have that you wouldn't have if you were drinking.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

To Wasgone,

I completely get the extra money bit. When I started working in early sobriety there was no room for clothes and alcohol...then it was a car and alcohol....and on and on...until alcohol was not a thought...had to keep with my fellow alcoholics tho and not rely on my own thinking about the matter. Please keep in close contact with SR as many have said, "it saved their life." There's something about accountability and friendship and all wanting the same thing for one another. I am actually glad I'm an Alcoholic because I have learned about handling life on life's terms from the collective wisdom of my fellow alcoholics. Much luck to you and be blessed....Ipanema

Last edited by Ipanema; 02-16-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-17-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, OPIVOTAL.
Yesterday I experienced a "milestone" and wanted to "celebrate".
1st venue that came to mind was using the evil liquid. NAAA no, didn't.
2nd thing that came to mind was having a pizza, NAAAA no. Too expensive, too many calories.
3rd thing that came to mind was a burger & fries. NAAAA no too expensive too many calories.
So I went home, make a lovely plate of nachos and watched TV. Safe, cheap, no guilt.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wasgone View Post
Yep, OPIVOTAL.
2nd thing that came to mind was having a pizza, NAAAA no. Too expensive, too many calories.
3rd thing that came to mind was a burger & fries. NAAAA no too expensive too many calories.
So I went home, make a lovely plate of nachos and watched TV. Safe, cheap, no guilt.

Bravo!! Well done!! Hope there are many more milestones in your future. God Bless.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

When I decided to stop drinking, I had no idea how bad business would get after the New Year.
I've whined about it all over the place here at S.R., but I think now how fortunate I am to not be spending any money on booze.
It solidifies abstinence - not only do I not need booze, I can't afford it either.
No guilt here.
I just hope things turn around soon!!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wasgone View Post
Yep, OPIVOTAL.

Congratulations wasgone!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Yes, well done!!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks
Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well its not hard to start making your own brew at home for pennies a glass of whatever alc percent you want. But its just one more step a relapsing alcoholic has to take in order to change the way they feel.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

To Matt4x4,

I hope you are finding things are getting better for you....I am praying for you and know, from my attempts at Sobriety, what a struggle it is for you. it would be helpful to use all the SR tools, including the blogs, to give you a boost and really great info on our threads. The Wisdom I find from my fellows is a Godsend as I am quite debilitated from Neuropathy. I have attended AA I the past and, when feeling better, still do.

It make take just a short time for you to feel more like the real you. I remember about 3 days and the 4th day I felt 20 years younger. Stay close to SR and let us know how you are doing as we care, have been there, and we are all searching for the same thing. Being the best that we can be is a big order, but efforts add up day by day and you will be amazed before you are halfway through. Best Regards, Ipanema
Old 02-19-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi wasgone,

How have you been doing?? Just thinking about you and hope you're better. Would love to hear from you. My best wishes for you and praying for you and many others that you are feeling much better. I remember how hard it was to get sober but those couple of days were sure worth it. It made me realize what I didn't want to go thru again. I got it that I may not survive another episode of being drunk. With that in mind, I knew I could not do this alone as my best thinking in those days was to drink for any reason..Now I rely on everything but my best thinking!! Keep coming back to SR as it has worked for many who are wiling to accept the gifts of a sober life. To me it's priceless. Best regards, Ipanema
Old 02-19-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

To SnoozyQ,

I sent you a Private Message just now and don't see that it went thru..it was long too?!!
If you didn't receive anything please let me know..I have trouble finding my way around software!! I may have accidentally deleted it, but hope you are great!! Luv u Snooz...and ODAT

Last edited by Ipanema; 02-19-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Changed My Mind
Old 02-20-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Ipanema.
I am doing well.

I actually did get my Hamburger last night...I'd gone to the Gym early to be finished in time for an event in the evening, but forgot to eat!!! So I pulled into a drive through and munched on a yummy burger at the park.

What is Neuropathy? How does it affect you?
WG
Old 02-20-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Wasgone and thanks for writing. It's great to hit the gym and I think of it everyday. I think but don't go often enough. As you know, it's great to ease the tensions of the day and helps to clear your head.

The Neuropathy is pain in usually the feet and hands but can spread to other areas. Diabetes can cause it but I am not Diabetic. Other causes are of unknown origin and it is very debilitating. A surgical procedure that may help, but it's not guaranteed, will be performed in less than a month. If it works you will find me back on the line dance floor and square dancing too.!!! (it's called Spinal Cord Stimulus) It will be like getting my life back again......
Old 02-21-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

wow - I have hope the procedure will help you.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

To wasgon,

Thanks, and I will do everything the Doctors tell me to do and prayer will help as well. When I find out the date I will let you know. If you can, I hope you will keep me in your prayers. God has been there for me in so many circumstances. Without God in my life I don't think I would be sober today. The support of other Alcoholics is essential, as we know, to remain sober. If I was to rely on my own resources, I don't believe it would have quality sobriety. Before I knew it, I would be headed down a path of destruction. On the flip side, hearing how others are doing and really being concerned for them, shows to us that we are not the person we thought we were prior to getting sober. We need to realize that what alcohol did to us was to take away our compassion for others as we struggled with the Demon alcohol. In a nutshell, I believe in the theory "I can't but we can't. Keep coming back, wasgone, and you will be rewarded in ways you never imagined. God Bless, Ipanema
Old 02-22-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This morning I am grateful for several hours sleep even though I developed a cough yesterday. It's the kind of cough that really does no good to cough - just irritates the throat more.

I think I'll skip the gym today, exercise by doing housework, instead.

I saved at least $300, now, with these sober weeks.
Have a good weekend -
The Daily Bread points out the need for gathering together for encouragement and exhortation.
SR seems to be a good place to do that.

WG
Old 02-23-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am grateful for fairly good sleep last night even though I have congestion and a cough. Grateful for enough $$ for medicine, but not enough for.......you know what.

Grateful for warm, safe house, and humidifier, too. (as always)
Old 02-23-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better wasgone.