Notices

We Agnostics- Reference

Old 12-08-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

We Agnostics- Reference

I was not sure where to post this, but decided on the Gratitude forum for reasons I'll try to explain.

Firstly, if I am Agnostic or Believer is not the point.
I am Alcoholic and learnt that alcohol does not discriminate, it "attacks" the human body,mind and spirit/personality no matter what one's beliefs are.

But for me, I choose to work the steps and in so doing I cannot discriminate who I pass on my story of recovery to who ever cares to listen.
This may include the Agnostic/Atheist in the meeting rooms of AA!

So if my belief is a spiritual/divine way of getting wiser in this journey called "life on planet Earth", then how am I to help an Alcoholic Atheist who wants to stop suffering due to alcohol ?

Firstly I learnt all I could about what the Agnostic's/Atheist's view or interpretations are in regards to matters divine and make no judgement, only an observation.
I might be one myself.

I learnt all I could, got some insight, but I am who I am and probably not wired the same way as an Agnostic or Atheist.

My search for a way to find middle ground and understanding has led me to this web page:
AA Agnostica

Therefore I'm grateful of the web page, it will help me cos I'm working with a fellow AA member who is Agnostic, hope it helps this member to and remain sober.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That page looks like a canned worm superstore . Just took a quick look, but pretty certain I'm going to be on board with it as much as you are. Wanted to plug in here for future reference. I agree with the little bit I read regarding The Lord's prayer. IMO it's simply not fitting any more, and I feel it puts a lot of people off. Brooklyn NY 2012, is not Akron Ohio 1935. We are one of the most culturally diversified cities in the world, and reciting a Christian prayer today has a whole different vibe than it did back there. Strictly adhering to it kind of trumps the intent and purpose of it also. Could write a lot about that, but pretty sure it would derail the thread. Just my opinion, anyway.

Thanks for the link.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The principle of , "alcohol does not discriminate".
An extreme example is a drunk driver is a drunk driver, Atheist,Christian,Muslim,Buddhist, etc etc.
All have the potential to cause road carnage and cause harm to to anyone else in the way.
So to illsutrtate, if there was an Atheist alcoholic, went to his/her fist AA meeting, saw and thought it's "God" stuff then went back out drinking and caused a fatal road accident on the way home.
Does Alcohol in liquid form "know" not to make that person drunk because of their beliefs? No.

The Lord's Prayer at the end of an AA meeting, frankly it ought not matter if one really thinks about it. Look at the wording.
Christians did not make up that prayer. People asked how to pray and a cool rock n roller at the time on some mountain who calls God a Father suggested it.

The opposite is some "jingle belled drunk" with a glass of liquor in one hand, a bottle in the other and Hail Marying to black-out!
How else does one if lucky enough eventually journey to AA?