Notices

Grateful for support when family does hurtful things

Old 10-11-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grateful for support when family does hurtful things

I just got home from a meeting and am really grateful that I have other people in recovery that help me decide how to react to hurtful family members. I was reminded not to hold onto NEW hurts, but to give them up to God. I can't change the way my relatives decide to treat me, but I can change how I react to their deliberate attempts to belittle and humiliate me. I am grateful that I have people I can turn to when I want to react with anger and resentment, and they remind me to give that crap to God and let Him handle it.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know you. but, I have hurt and ignored people I love . give them some time. live your life for now by example. it could change everything!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HonestlyTrying View Post
I just got home from a meeting and am really grateful that I have other people in recovery that help me decide how to react to hurtful family members. I was reminded not to hold onto NEW hurts, but to give them up to God. I can't change the way my relatives decide to treat me, but I can change how I react to their deliberate attempts to belittle and humiliate me. I am grateful that I have people I can turn to when I want to react with anger and resentment, and they remind me to give that crap to God and let Him handle it.
I've had to distance myself from some family members over the years because of hurtful dynamics. It's especially hard because it involves a somewhat toxic sister and my mother, who act like mean high school girls when together. I actually have more pity than anything for them but still can't stomach their nonsense most of the time.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Today i am grateful to have a great sponsor who I can turn to when I am not sure how to deal with others. Sometimes I feel like I make mountains out of mole hills before I even put things in perspective. I am easily offended by small jabs and have a habit of self defeatism (can't do anything right...) Finding a balance is tough for me and my sponsor
helps me keep things in perspective.
Grateful for my sponsors help!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by missymadr View Post
I don't know you. but, I have hurt and ignored people I love . give them some time. live your life for now by example. it could change everything!
This is so true. During our addiction we have harmed and miss treated out family. It will take them time to trust again. It also helps to offer them meetings to. Have them go to functions with you. Maybe they have underlying addiction problems also.