Notices

What I am grateful for

Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Lightbulb What I am grateful for

I've ran and continue to run a long hard road with my battle, life is not easy nor is it a great struggle anymore, I am getting by.

I am grateful for people that see the best in my and my potential.

I am grateful for my family still communicating with me, albeit on a limited and controlled basis (no answers to direct calls to them etc)

I am grateful to be gainfully employed in a position that I love and with a supervisor that understands that each person is different.

I am grateful to be alive and for the most part healthy today. Today is a wonderful day.

As I get older I wonder if I am living my life to the potential that my mind has and the things more recently I have shorted myself on because of my addiction.

I realize the past is the past, but I doubt anyone goes a month or so without thinking about something stupid or dumb we did under the influence. I am in a better place, but it still is something that sits in the back of my mind when sober.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Today on my 3rd day and 7th final attempt:

I am grateful to be given an opportunity to kick this awful alcohol habit once and for all.

I am grateful to have support at work, Twitter, my family, and even my lawyer who helped me with my 1st DUI that got dismissed for completed the court requirements.

I am grateful to be healthy. My family's health is good too.

I am grateful to learn from my mistakes socially and accept reality.

I am grateful to be given my final opportunity to be the person I really am and not look back.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
Today on my 3rd day and 7th final attempt:

I am grateful to be given an opportunity to kick this awful alcohol habit once and for all.

I am grateful to have support at work, Twitter, my family, and even my lawyer who helped me with my 1st DUI that got dismissed for completed the court requirements.

I am grateful to be healthy. My family's health is good too.

I am grateful to learn from my mistakes socially and accept reality.

I am grateful to be given my final opportunity to be the person I really am and not look back.
It sounds like you as very determined and sending you much luck on this difficult task. What helped me in the first few days was that I was told it was a disease. They said that I was an ill person and not a bad person having a hard time breaking a habit.

They told me that I had no more control of my desire to drink than someone had over their cancer illness. That was followed up by the fact that after a few days, especially with people with the same illness, perhaps AA, the desire to drink will past. I heard that I would feel so good that I would recoil from alcohol in a very few amount of days. I guess I was ready to listen, tired of being sick, craving it bad at work, trying to hide it, that I was ready to accept the opportunity to recover from this Disease. I hope this puts it in a little perspective for you and hope we hear back on your progress. Remember, it's progress, not perfection. I believe greatly in AA as they have the greatest long term recovery than another other group or program. I went to many meetings and didn't care to speak. If they called on me I said I had listened to myself and wanted to hear from them and they accepted that. One day someone said something and my hand shot up fast and I talked and watched many heads nod in agreement. I felt I was home. God Bless.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

To MagicMan08,

It's never too late to realize your dream to live that sober, happy and stress free life. I hope that you will keep coming back. It helps to have people to listen and already know you with the bond of the disease we have. I tried to sober up on my own and then something would happen and there was that huge glass of wine in my hand. That's how I solved my problems and created new ones at the same time. Today is so much better and hope to hear how you are doing. God Bless