Notices

The Four Levels of Gratitude (To Date!)

Old 07-02-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Four Levels of Gratitude (To Date!)

Last Saturday morning, first day of a long overdue vacation with my wife to Oregon, I experienced a prolonged and first time experience of the highest level of Gratude, which I am going to call, for lack of a better term, the O-MyFnGod level of gratitude. As I announced here a couple of months ago, I have been practicing gratitude in a formal and daily way since January of this year. Now almost seven months and 165 gratitude lists into my gratitude "project" I want to report on an experience I had today of what I think must be one of the highest levels of Gratitude.

Yes, there are levels of Gratitude: Four Discovered So Far
Level 1: Not Grateful. This is, surprisingly, the first level of gratitude. Just like for the actual alcoholic, the first level of self-identification is oftentimes calling one's self a Non-Alcoholic. This subjective state is where we are totally ignorant of all or anything we have to be grateful for. It's also called depression, self-absorption, isolation/loneliness, self-pity and self-hatred. Most alcoholics, including me, come into recovery at this level of gratitude. I came into the rooms in late October, and trust me, I not only came to quickly HATE the November topics of Gratitude -- I let everyone know this was an Outside Issue at every meeting where that was the topic for at least the first year or two of recovery. Especially when it wasn't November!
Level Two: Fake It Til You Make It Gratitude Lite. This is where you begin pretending to feel things that you mostly don't really feel. That's because you're actually still feeling most of the Level One "negative" feelings, but for some reason (I desperately wanted Dr Earle--my grandsponsor who got sober two days before I was born on 6/17/53--to like me!) you start pretending to feel positive feelings even though you don't. In AA, this is a long-sanctioned deception encouraged by sponsors and other non-requested sponsors. Trust me, you'll feel better if you do this for 30 days in a gratitude journal at night before you go to bed! "Sure, I'll do this [idiotic BS!] just because you "suggested" [I know it's more than a suggestion! I'm not a complete idiot!] it. Thanks! [Not!]"
Level Three: Actual feelings of grate-fullness. This actually started to happen within me after 3-4 years of recovery. Without ever doing even one written gratitude list. This happened because I finally "heard" within me what Earle had told me before he died: "Mike, gratitude isn't a feeling, not something you are supposed to feel. It's a decision, a habit or an attitude. It's an attitude that members of AA have found tremendously helpful in their lives. You might want to try giving it a shot!" (He was the kindest/meanest man I'd ever known up to that point in my life.
Level Four: Well, for this one, I just want to share a story because stories are the most direct path to the Truth. This is the story I shared this morning with the now 25 members of my private AA Gratitude Project blog: as you'll see, I now call this highest (so far!) level of gratitude the O-MyFnGod level of gratitude!
This morning's post:

As I mentioned in my Gratitude list earlier this morning, I was able to go to a Crack of Dawn 7am meeting here in Ashland, Oregon today. I wrote today's list at 6am on my first full day of vacation. What I now need to share, double-dipping in gratitude as it were, is that on my way to this AA meeting, unusual things started to happen, important and very subtle things that we often miss, especially if we aren't practicing things like Gratitude or Acceptance.

I should have known that there was something special about this particular meeting when the Google Map directions ended up taking me two blocks past 'Normal Avenue" and then told me to turn left in order to get to the church where this AA meeting was being held! O-MyFnGod! #1

I went into the meeting, a little resentful that coffee wasn't ready for ME, and sat down as far away from anyone as I can--can tou imagine what i would be like if i weren't sober and not practicing daily gratitude for seven months!--when a woman down the aisle leans forward and says to me, Is this your first time to this meeting? I say, "Yes it is....Patty!"

You see, Patty (not real name) is someone I met at the Lafayette Hut when I first got sober and I just loved her just plain honesty. In 2003, she retired from the Sheriff's office and moved to Oregon and I'd never seen her since. Until this morning! O-MyFnGod!

After we hugged and quickly exchanged quick updates, I sat back down and looked across the room and then saw another woman I love from where I live, named H____, and our eyes connected and there was yet another hug and quick exchange of stories. O-MyFnGod! #3

The meeting began after the secretary asked me to read The Promises at the end of the meeting. I checked in, as did H____, as a visitor from California and everyone welcomed me all the visitors.

It was an open Topic meeting where someone, anyone, volunteered a topic for that meeting. One of the other visitors, a man who was there with his sober wife, and who was celebrating with her their 17th sober anniversary of marriage, said that at his Napa home group on Saturday mornings, the topic was always Gratitude! O-MyFnGod! #4

When he finished, I shared about my December experience with a sponsee and newly (again) sober guy, who was so seriously depressed, that I suggested that he do something I had never actually done myself: a daily gratitude list. When he was unsuccessful/unwilling to do that after two weeks (including the shortest 5150 commitment I've ever heard of!)

I told him that I was giving up on trying to get him to do a gratitude list for 30 days, and that instead of getting him to do it, I was going to do it. In addition, everytime I finished writing mine, I would send him a copy. Miraculously, he then started doing the daily gratitude list and sending me a copy of his list most every day. I think because he knew I would like it if he did. Over six months now, I'm still doing a daily gratitude list and sharing it in this AA Gratitude Project site with over 25 and some of them are doing the same with me. This story changed the whole dynamic of the meeting. Good stories do that. O-MyFnGod! #5

There were 5 other O-MyFnGod! experiences during and following the meeting. Including when I got lost on the way back to the hotel and had to resort to GoogleMaps in order to find my way back to the hotel.... Siri's third direction on the way home was to "turn right in 600 feet on Normal Ave."!

O-MyFnGod!

Then I got back to the room, climbed back into bed and snuggled up to Nancy -- who was still "not snoring".

Take care!

Mike L