Notices

Maybe a Little Hope, Intended for Newcomers

Old 05-26-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Maybe a Little Hope, Intended for Newcomers

Hi: I am a recovering alcoholic, my last drink having been March 30th, 2012. And that label, recovering, is almost a point of pride with me--there is no honour in slowly killing yourself, but there is some in overcoming that lifestyle, and in coming to value yourself and those about you, to make an effort and therefore realize that you are well worth saving. I said that I intended this mainly for newcomers, just because in my experience life is quite confusing when newly sober, when replacing bad habits with better ones; but as virtually everyone says, it not only gets easier, but becomes a reward in and of itself. And one comes to notice small things that were perhaps absent before, in my case, most importantly slowly regaining the trust of my family, and slowing gaining a degree of regard for myself.
Being an atheist, although one who has been cheerfully accepted by my AA groups, I guess it comes down to thanking various people; my wife and daughter, of course, my brothers, of course the folk at AA, most of whom refer to me as their token heathen (in a humorous, friendly manner), and certainly not least, the good people of this site, all of whom have helped me more than I can say. And, not to put too fine a point on it, but I guess I'll add myself to that list, too.
Not to say that there will ever be a point when alcoholism will ever be behind me, or even if that would be desirable; that would somehow diminish the experience and reward of overcoming a challenge, just so long as I remember to always keep recovery as my top priority. Not that life gets perfect; one, that might be rather boring, and in any case expecting is perfection seems a recipe for disaster. I happily settle for a vastly improved, and improving life, and once again want to thank the members of this site, especially the way in which my more ridiculous posts were dealt with honestly, yet patiently.
If this sounds at all like I'm saying good bye, or something, that is not at all the case, it's just that I expect to be spending most of the summer at the cottage with my daughter, my wife getting up for three weeks of booked holidays, and otherwise as often as possible--getting on the internet can be a bit of a challenge there, but I won't be headed up for an extended period 'till the end of June.
I guess that I am mainly just in a mood to say thanks to all, and to wish all Northern Hemisphere types a happy and safe summer, happy winter to Aussie and other Southern types:------all the best to all, rick