DG's Gratitude List

Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Tonight, I am thankful for:
  • 9 Days alcohol free!!
  • a slightly productive day
  • a nice, cool evening breeze
  • clearer thoughts
  • thinking it's actually kind of nice to not be passed-out drunk, but awake posting crap online late at night... when was the last time I really DID or THOUGHT something at night?... I don't remember. It feels...good.
  • people I like
  • music
  • starting to take better care of myself
  • starting to feel better about myself and think better things about myself
  • being able to think more clearly about problems in my life
  • recovery... it feels good. I have more hope again.
  • the depression has lifted- so much of the darkness and pain in my brain has faded
  • learning what makes me feel bad- the darkness and pain start to come creeping back awful fast if I'm hungry or let my thoughts go places they shouldn't... but I can monitor these things!
Old 04-18-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Keep doing it. Don't quit or let up b4 you're miracle happens
Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Today I'm thankful for:
  • 10 days alcohol free & working on day 11!
  • starting to feel much better
  • being able to go drive & do things at night
  • It's Friday!
  • I have a new place to stay to try out for a few days this weekend!
  • I found a great restaurant I never knew about before in the middle of nowhere
  • the people out here are all super friendly, well, most of 'em anyway
  • I woke up feeling happy and with energy
  • I get to feel proud about not drinking rather than thinking I need to quit
Old 04-20-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This morning I am thankful for:
  • It's Saturday!!
  • Woke up some place absolutely gorgeous. The place I was planning to stay was a real dump, so I found a different place. I never would have done that before. I just would have gotten trashed in the dump until I didn't care that it was a dump.
  • It's a nice day out
  • It is so peaceful here
  • I have 11 days alcohol free!! On to day 12!
  • The only things I can hear are the wind and the birds (at least if I stop typing).
Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Today I'm thankful for:
  • 13 days alcohol free!
  • I won't wake-up hungover!!
  • Made it through the weekend.
  • I DREAM at night again... how strange to dream like normal people rather than pass out blank.
  • I found someplace I really like this weekend!
  • I had a quiet, relaxing weekend to myself to deal with my issues & work on my recovery.
  • The pain in my brain has subsided.
  • I have something to be PROUD of myself for!
  • I made a 'to-do' list for the day and got pretty much everything crossed off!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Tonight I'm thankful for:
  • 2 Weeks Alcohol free!
  • Having a good day today!
  • Getting work done today
  • feeling more sane
  • getting more used to this
  • having had a really nice walk tonight
  • music
  • SR
  • opivotal, Rusty Zipper, & 1newcreation for following this thread and supporting me
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Congratulations DG, 2 weeks is fantastic! You are rocking sobriety. I'm so very happy for you. Keep up the great work.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

2 weeks is huge DG!

keep up the work,

cant say good work, as to keep up the humility bit you know! lol
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Today has been a bit of a struggle, so I thought more than ever I need to focus on what I'm thankful for a bit tonight:
  • 16 Days Alcohol free!! I am SUPER PROUD of myself.
  • My over-all health is improving. I have been working out a little, eating well, drinking water, sleeping decent hours, etc. I feel better. I think I must look better.
  • My emotions are WAY more stable. I've had my ups and downs, I've cried several times through this, etc. BUT it hasn't been the way out of control almost psychotic moods I had when drinking. And when I DO feel bad, I am much more able to let it go, or think it through if need be and then let it go. Plus I'm able to take care of myself and go for a walk or calm down in a rational manner.
  • My thoughts are clearing up. I can tell my brain is still healing because at times, I struggle with 'brain-fog' but I AM processing a lot more information and able to think more clearly about things. My ability to concentrate and remember things and learn new stuff has grown, too. I can even remember the name of somebody I met today.
  • I am starting to DEAL with the things in my life that need DEALT with, not DROWNING my stress in alcohol and putting stuff off more.
  • I had a nice walk this evening. I used to go for walks at night all the time, but it seems like it's been forever since I did much of that. It's nice to see the stars and moon and just walk around and relax after the day.
  • Even though it wasn't the best day, I never seriously considered drinking.
  • Even if it wasn't fun, I got stuff done that I needed to do and at least now, I don't have to worry about it anymore. It's nice to have that stuff done rather than worrying about needing to do it.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Things I'm thankful for tonight:
  • 17 days alcohol free!!!
  • I had a nice walk
  • I'm half-way ready for tomorrow.
  • I re-stocked up on healthy snacks. I am actually buying healthy food again and eating well. My calories come from real stuff instead of alcohol. As a drunk, I used to buy more food than I'd ever eat too and then drink instead and the food I imagined I would eat would go bad.
  • I'm starting to do more little things that make life better than I did when I was drinking/hungover ALL the time- washing the windshield at the gas station more often, not leaving empty cups or trash in the car when I get out, etc.
  • I actually bought a book today and read a chapter... looking forward to reading more before bed. I can't remember when I last read a book before bed instead of getting trashed drunk.
  • I went for a walk after I got into my motel room tonight. It used to be when I traveled, I'd never see anything outside the motel room after I got in.
  • I managed to make a 'to-do' list and get everything crossed-off. Planning the day is becoming easier again. I'm starting to be productive again.
  • I was moderately productive so far as work was concerned.
  • I really have a pretty good life, all things considered. I'm a lot better off than tons of other people, and I'm really very fortunate for what I have. Sometimes I forget this, but when I was out walking, I was walking through a neighborhood that isn't as nice as mine and it made me remember how fortunate I really am for my life.
  • Tomorrow will be day 18. I have a productive day at work scheduled and no choice but to stick to it, so I know I'll get a lot done. I'm prepared with healthy snacks so that I won't end up starving and cravey while stressed & busy.
  • It's almost bed-time and I have the presence of mind to actually think things, not just pass-out/fall asleep really drunk. More than that, I can think positive thoughts about tomorrow and I've actually prepared for it somewhat so it should be a good day.
  • I had a cool thing happen today. I was about to take off from my motel and I was counting my change wondering if I had enough to take the toll roads or if I needed to get cash somewhere. A couple of guys came up and asked if I had jumper cables and if I'd help them jump their car. Most of the time, I don't 'help' people who come up to me asking me for something when I'm traveling. But generally they're asking for money and I don't have any extra since I spent it all on alcohol. They were a little rough looking, but I agreed to give them a jump... I figure it's good karma and I'll need a favor from somebody else someday when I'm stranded. Afterward, they gave me a few dollars for my trouble and then I knew I had enough money for the toll road.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sounds like you had a great day. I was an avid reader before I started drinking. I'm afraid that went to the wayside, along with most things. I was thrilled to get back to it.

I can relate to so much in your post.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Tonight, I am thankful for:
  • 19 days no alcohol!!
  • Having a decent place to sleep for the night.
  • Starting to feel more normal & functional again.
  • Starting to figure out how to live life sober.
  • Being on my way home.
  • Deciding I really like the book I'm reading.
  • Making better habits as far as eating, exercise, etc.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

This morning I am thankful for:
  • THREE WEEKS NO ALCOHOL!!!
  • Waking up not hung-over.
  • Being home!!
  • Birds chirping outside
  • my kitty-cats
  • 3 weeks!!!! I know I already said it, but I just have to say it again.
  • waking-up & having energy/feeling like doing stuff for the day
  • I'm thankful I found SR because I don't know that I would have made it this far without it.
  • it's spring/summer & the trees are green, the grass is green or getting there anyway... it's time to get outside and enjoy it and do stuff!
  • I have been getting caught up at work, so instead of dreading my work today, I am thinking about 'what next' and trying to get more caught up.
  • Last week, I took care of some of the crappy things I had to get done at work, and now, I don't have to worry about those anymore.
  • I am feeling better about myself in general again. I still have progress to make, but I am making progress.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 weeks DG!!

Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

This morning I'm thankful for:
  • 23 days alcohol free!
  • gorgeous weather
  • went to a yoga class Monday night. It was nice to get out and do something.
  • I am starting to work through stuff rather than putting it off to the side as much.
  • Yesterday was a rotten day, but I didn't drink!!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Today I'm thankful for:
  • 24 days alcohol free
  • it's not yesterday anymore
  • today is a new day
  • it's nice and sunny outside
  • My memory is improving and I'm able to think much better.
  • Yesterday was really miserable. So was the day before. But I didn't drink. And now, I'm not sick and hungover.
  • my boyfriend has been doing a lot around the house to make it nicer for us. I know he really wants to be a good boyfriend.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

• 25 days no alcohol!!
  • Also 25 days eating well, drinking plenty of water, and getting a little exercise every day.
  • 123 days no cigarettes. I like that number.
  • Being able to get my planner out and schedule some stuff. I can actually think ahead again.
  • I can schedule stuff in the evenings and I know I won't be too drunk to do it. I couldn't have done that when I was drinking.
  • I can actually take a step back from what I'm thinking, write about it and re-evaluate if need be.
  • Today is going to be a good day!! I woke up and thought it would be a bad day, but I decided it's not ok to think that.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

25 days is huge DG!
Old 05-04-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

• Today is day 26 no drinking!!!
  • It's Saturday!
  • I am learning new coping skills for dealing with things.
  • I'm thankful I found SR and for all of the support I have found here. It has been so helpful in this process.
  • I am starting to feel more like the 'old' me.
  • I am able to learn music better.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

• 27 days alcohol free!!
  • time to play my drums!!
  • it was a pretty relaxing day, which was nice.
  • I am starting to feel more used to the new routines and to not drinking.
  • I feel calm today.
  • Last night was rough: dinner at a bar/restaurant with everyone else drinking, but I didn't drink. And I woke up feeling good about it this morning. It wasn't much fun at the time, but I'm thankful for it.