Notices

Grateful:: For sobriety

Old 12-05-2003, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Digitally Remastered

Arrow Grateful:: For sobriety

Kinda always thought-during the last year or so of my drinking- I was going to die drunk...that's not what bothered me so much; But the fact it didn't bother me so much. I couldn't stop drinking, I'd tried it too often...it hurt too much to try it anymore...so I resigned myself to a life of being drunk...tried to even stay out of peoples' way I was so sick. KNOWING I could bring no pleasure or frivolity to anyone's life...But knew there was nothing to be done about it. Being in such a sadly marked existence, I feel the pain of any alcoholic who wants to stop but can't.

AA worked for me. It has introduced me to a new way of life and others like me...Others like me who have also been where I was. People who can relate to me because I am them and they're me.

When I first came into AA I felt lowly, outcasted and a misfit when I was not drunk. Being drunk kept me numb and not caring. So when I came in detoxing off of alcohol I had no choice but to try it this way...I couldn't STAY feeling lowly, outcasted, and a misfit without alcohol so I gave/give this program a fair shot and that was/is the last promise I've made to myself since getting sober.

I do practice that promise 100% every day. I give *it* a fair shot before I give alcohol another chance. So far, I've not had a need to give alcohol another chance.

Digits
Old 12-07-2003, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

I am glad you gave it a good chance and are alive today to tell us about it......